If you could only have one amp modeled in your Axe...

Variable

Inspired
...yet still have all the of the effects, powerful routing options, and great support from Fractal, would you still own one?

Despite the really silly number of amps in this thing, I'm finding myself increasingly tied to one particular amp in the Axe, and I still think I would own an Axe even if that was the only amp in the whole box (it's the Tucana, of course :D). Being able to set the Axe up with multiple scenes and multiple X/Y states means that I basically have a fully powered amp, plus all of the FX, at the touch of a footswitch.

For a while I was caught up in the ADD that seems to come from the sheer number of choices in the Axe. I'm sure I'm not the only one; when I first got mine, I felt like I needed to play every single amp model in the thing, and I got frustrated pretty quickly. As time progressed and the firmwares got better and better (I started this journey at FW 10), I noticed myself gravitating toward the sounds I liked in the real life amps I owned over my hobbyist musical career. And now that we're on FW 19, I'm finding myself stuck on a single patch that does most everything I can want, all programmed into the 8 button Liquid Foot Jr+. Sure, I'll change to other patches just to see what I might be missing, but I always gravitate back to my main patch (and it helps that the Tucana is just that friggin versatile).

So, if you could only have your favorite amp modeled and nothing else, would you still buy an Axe? Obviously we don't need to make this choice, but it's fun to ask :)

Maybe.
Probably, because the cost is about the same as one good amp anyway.
And mainly because it makes recording direct easier.
Definitely would if it had TWO amps, a Fender Vibroverb for Clean/Blues & a Marshall YJM100 for Dirt/Metal. Those two amps have great reverb/delay built in as well, and that combination of Fender/Marshall is ALL anyone that likes real music from the 80s/90s would ever really need. If you know how to dial those amps you can get a huge range of different tones with just those two amps that really anyone that has any actual taste in music would want to cover anyway.
Don't really need any of the other effects & bells and whistles, although a Klon Centaur model would be icing on the cake.

YjM

I mostly use one amp since 19: the jtm 45. Different patches from clean to various crunch to full on, with various fx.

But with real amps, I've almost never stayed with one for more than a year, so the variety of the Axe is a godsend for me

Absolutely. As a gigging musician it's not very practical hauling around multiple amps anyway. The quality of the effects, simplicity of one single unit with fewer potential failure points in the signal chain, lower weight, lower cost (amp, drive pedals and effects vs one axe fx), flexibility of routing and reconfigurable routing per preset... There are at least a dozen individual reasons that the axe fx is an amazing value proposition.

Probably not. The overwhelming options is exactly what gravitated me towards purchasing an AxeFx. I was never impressed with digital modelers until I started hearing what the AxeFx II could pull off. When I found out that firmware updates were frequent (and free) I was sold and bought the XL. I have a few main amps that I like to use in the bulk of my patches, and it would cost a small fortune if I were to try to recreate my current setup with the real amps.

I prefer the use of variables of over constants. :roll [rimshot emjoi]

I needed the flexibility of many different sounds in one unit instead of a room full of amps, cabs, and pedals.

Attachments

• Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 361
I use just a few amp models. But the Axe-Fx enables me to choose these from many candidates.

Only a few amp models Yek? Why did you choose the Mastermind in your avatar instead of the Fractal MFC?
That Mastermind 22 is 1 and a half times more than the MFC, and only has 1 extra button/switch.
Other than the LCD above each switch (which seems very unnessacery), what's the advantage?
Seems like you lose the compatibility/ease of Fractal MFC, spending way more, and to what benefit?
If mastermind is doing something that's so special Yek prefers that over MFC then maybe it's time for a new design of MFC that's more competitive with the Mastermind to be released soon?

YjM

the mmgt has Pages of buttons, so each button does more than one thing. it's also very easy to assign Axe functions to the MMGT. many other features that this newer style of controller has over the MFC for power users.

it's definitely the best general MIDI controller available right now. you need one.

I really like the Axe FXII amps and cabs now, but I originally bought the Axe FXII for effects only to use with my real amps. A pair of Marshall Plexis, a Hiwatt, a pair of Vox AC30s, a 66 Super Reverb, and a pair of 59 Bassmans. The amps and irs have improved quite a bit since the Axe FXII came out. I'm happy with Marshall's and Vox AC30 in the Axe FXII. The Hiwatt is close but still needs some improvement. The 59 Bassman in the Axe FXII sound lame compared to my real ones. The JTM 45 in the Axe FXII actually sounds closer to my 59 Bassman. All I really need in the Axe FXII is good versions of the amps I own in real life. If I had to pick two it would be a Marshall Plexi and a Vox AC30. Three would be better. Maybe a Fender Deluxe Reverb for a third choice. You could cover a lot of musically ground with those Marshall, Vox, and Fender amps. If I had to chose one amp it would be a Marshall Plexi.

the mmgt has Pages of buttons, so each button does more than one thing. it's also very easy to assign Axe functions to the MMGT. many other features that this newer style of controller has over the MFC for power users.

it's definitely the best general MIDI controller available right now. you need one.

Is that Sarcasm or are you for real?
The mastermind is better than the MFC controller that was actually made for the Axe Fx?

How's someone gonna tap dance on 22 buttons AND be able to see those little LCDs above them to see these menus you are talking about???
I'd like to see a real world demonstration of someone showing this thing of menus where switches have switches.

Dosen't make sense.

The MFC is fully assignable as well, so again what's the difference?

YjM

I still give that title to the Liquid Foot Pro+, but only by a narrow margin as they're pretty comparable units.

...yet still have all the of the effects, powerful routing options, and great support from Fractal, would you still own one?

Despite the really silly number of amps in this thing, I'm finding myself increasingly tied to one particular amp in the Axe, and I still think I would own an Axe even if that was the only amp in the whole box (it's the Tucana, of course :D). Being able to set the Axe up with multiple scenes and multiple X/Y states means that I basically have a fully powered amp, plus all of the FX, at the touch of a footswitch.

For a while I was caught up in the ADD that seems to come from the sheer number of choices in the Axe. I'm sure I'm not the only one; when I first got mine, I felt like I needed to play every single amp model in the thing, and I got frustrated pretty quickly. As time progressed and the firmwares got better and better (I started this journey at FW 10), I noticed myself gravitating toward the sounds I liked in the real life amps I owned over my hobbyist musical career. And now that we're on FW 19, I'm finding myself stuck on a single patch that does most everything I can want, all programmed into the 8 button Liquid Foot Jr+. Sure, I'll change to other patches just to see what I might be missing, but I always gravitate back to my main patch (and it helps that the Tucana is just that friggin versatile).

So, if you could only have your favorite amp modeled and nothing else, would you still buy an Axe? Obviously we don't need to make this choice, but it's fun to ask :)

Sounds like you could comfortably move to the AX8! ;)

Probably. It's made recording easier than ever and with the amounts of gain available, plus the FX I could probably make do. I don't know that I'd be thrilled about it, but I could make it work.

As of right now I'm using two 85% of the time for the last month or so...I don't think one less would kill me.

Yes! I like others bought with the thought that the effects were good enough with no amps. Then I got rid of my amps!

I honestly don't think I could do it. Since I got my Axe-FX, I haven't GASed once, in over a year, and a half, not even a little, for any amps cabs, or effects. I just don't think any single amp could ever do that for me. If the Axe didn't exist, I'd just never be happy, and continuously buy new amps frantically searching for the one mythical amp that can sound like them all. The closest I've ever heard was an Engl InVader, and even with it, I'd have to make tweaks between songs to cover all of my tonal needs, and wants. I'm just too picky for a tube setup, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vox ac30 aswel. But the whole point of the axe fx is to have many available...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom