If there was one guys that you could play like who would it be

The magic pill is play all the time.

i was just reading this interview with Vic Juris, great jazz guitarist, and he was talking about different musicians work ethics. He said he'd gone to Pat Martino's early in the day and late at night and he'd been at it the whole time with his wife slipping food in the door. Somebody was talking about Coltrane getting off the bandstand at the Village Vanguard and going and practicing the entire time between sets. It's not just "talent," but the combination of talent and a ridiculous amount of work and dedication that most of the greats seem to have.

It's amazing how doors open when you play more. I've recently had a burst of time where I've played a bunch more and suddenly things open up that just weren't available a month ago.

i was just reading this interview with Vic Juris, great jazz guitarist, and he was talking about different musicians work ethics. He said he'd gone to Pat Martino's early in the day and late at night and he'd been at it the whole time with his wife slipping food in the door. Somebody was talking about Coltrane getting off the bandstand at the Village Vanguard and going and practicing the entire time between sets. It's not just "talent," but the combination of talent and a ridiculous amount of work and dedication that most of the greats seem to have.

It's amazing how doors open when you play more. I've recently had a burst of time where I've played a bunch more and suddenly things open up that just weren't available a month ago.

Yep. It's really about effective use of practice time and an incredible amount of that time. They say it takes 10,000 hours to master something, so an hour a day is going to take you over 27 years to pull it off.

Yep. It's really about effective use of practice time and an incredible amount of that time. They say it takes 10,000 hours to master something, so an hour a day is going to take you over 27 years to pull it off.

And with only an hour a day, you're never going to get the technique required for execution at the levels people seem to aspire to. I once asked my best jazz teacher what he thought the minimum time practicing a day to attain excellence. He said 3 hours, but had done much more at some points. He had astounding technique, but he also snapped a ligament in his picking arm and couldn't play for 18 months. Be careful about your body's limits. I find the 3 hour thing about true for me. If I practice that much, I find my skills improving and my technique gets to a point where I start to have real creative freedom. An hour a day for me is maintenance.

Found this interesting in a Guthrie Govan interview:

" Do you practice in a regimented way?

GG: No, I play whenever I can. I don’t like to call it practice, because it makes it sound like something you don’t want to do, and you have to force yourself to do. Playing has never been like that for me. I just like guitar, and if I have time, I’ll go and I’ll play. Oddly enough, now that I do music for a living, there’s less time to take up the guitar and play."

If you ever want to do a messenger call with me I would love to discuss guitar techniques and share all sorts of great things I have learned over the years. Just let me know and we can set it up. I love teaching and helping others and learning new things myself.

Last edited:
Eddie Van Halen.

Not so much about the technical ability and his ability to play anything (which I'm sure he can anyway).

The guy invented a style of guitar. No one sounded like Eddie before Eddie! Sure some guys may have tapped once in a while. But when you take the whole package, Eddie Van Halen was so unique you could here a solo from him you never heard before and instantly know it was him.

Just think how far ahead of it's time Eruption was. 1978?

Eddie Van Halen.

Not so much about the technical ability and his ability to play anything (which I'm sure he can anyway).

The guy invented a style of guitar. No one sounded like Eddie before Eddie! Sure some guys may have tapped once in a while. But when you take the whole package, Eddie Van Halen was so unique you could here a solo from him you never heard before and instantly know it was him.

Just think how far ahead of it's time Eruption was. 1978?

:shock Shorts? :eek: I want that suit!!! :encouragement:

Back
Top Bottom