If there was one guys that you could play like who would it be

If I had to pick the technical ability of 1 guy, it would be John 5. No contest.

Now, who do I want to play like? A combination of satch, petrucci, Hammett, and John 5... Which means I should sit down and study each of them and incorporate it into my playing, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Going with some different names: Trevor Rabin, Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth. (But of course I second the usual Satriani/Vai/Petrucci references.)

Oh, and on acoustic (and a lot of electric, too): Phil Keaggy. Beyond Nature is just...wow.

All of the above, plus Gary Moore

Chris Poland, Andy Timmons, and Mikael Akerfeldt.

Chris for his overall sound and amazing legato technique.

Andy for his phrasing and overall feel.

Mikael isn't a real technical chops type of player but has the ability to create interesting, memorable, melodic leads with a lot of dynamics and emotion (which I personally favor vs. speed or "let's see how many scales/modes I can use in one song" type soloing). Rhythm-wise I've always loved the strange dissonant chords he comes up with and his incredibly creative use of harmony between different guitar parts.

To come up with memorable solos is the finest chops a player could attain. He can do some killer shred based stuff if he wants to but he chooses not to. :)
Great list man! Chirs Poland and Andy Timmons are epic as well.

I want to sound like a better version of me, the version I hear in my head. But I'd like the upper levels chops and breadth of instrument knowledge of Eric Johnson and John Petrucci so that if I wanted to take it there, I could.

I want to sound like a better version of me, the version I hear in my head. But I'd like the upper levels chops and breadth of instrument knowledge of Eric Johnson and John Petrucci so that if I wanted to take it there, I could.

The only thing holding you back from playing like Eric Johnson and John Petrucci is you. If you put the effort in you can play their material and after you learn it, take a little bit from it and make your own!

Says the guy that did a video of the Enemy Inside video the day after it was released... you're there already! That soloaweek blew me away, btw. I can't even play 1/2 that well.

ya Doug is a beast. most people know his work as a hired gun but I love his solo stuff too. He f*cking rips it up on this one.

In order to take my guitar playing to a continued improving level as one can never obtain all guitar knowledge its simply impossible. What I have done is collect an extreme large amount of guitar training material. I have a huge arsenal of material, I have this one folder where I gathered videos, audio, pdf and other type files of these guys performances to lessons and guitar pro files of their music. I'm gonna put a list on here so others who may not of heard of some of these guys can check them out on Youtube.
Al Di Meola
Andy Timmons
Chet Atkins
Eric Johnson
Frank Zappa
Guthrie Govan
Jeff Loomis
Joe Pass
John petrucci
Paul gilbert
Robben Ford
Stanley Jordan
Tony Mcalpine
Wes Montgomery
Alan holdsworth
Chick Korea
Frank Gambale
Greg Howe
Jason becker
Joe Bonamassa
Joe satriani
Larry carlton
Phil Keaggy
Shawn lane
Steve Vai
Tommy Emmanuel
Vinnie Moore
Yngwie malmsteen

This is not the whole list by any means but each of these players are awesome in their own ways and I have tried to learn a little bit of something from each of them. If you get a chance and there is someone on the list you have not heard of take the time and check him out you wont be disappointed. I know you were only looking for one Player so that answer is myself.

ya but who's the "One guy" that you'd like to be able to emulate or play like if you could?
I have a huge list of influences as well, but for me Greg Howe is the one dude I find really hard to "get down"

The guy I strive to play the most is myself. That's the answer! I do not want to sound just like any of the other players any more at this stage of my life, I only want to sound like me.

Best answer ever. Me, too.

The only thing holding you back from playing like Eric Johnson and John Petrucci is you. If you put the effort in you can play their material and after you learn it, take a little bit from it and make your own!

I can play most of their material. But I'll never play it as well as they do, or even close. The difference is that they have the chops to have actually written it in real time as opposed to sitting down and learning it in several hours and working it up to speed! Haha

Last edited:
Says the guy that did a video of the Enemy Inside video the day after it was released... you're there already! That soloaweek blew me away, btw. I can't even play 1/2 that well.

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. I am, however, respectfully, nowhere near there already! :) if only. The breadth of knowledge and total command of the instrument both of them have is mind bending.

I've been playing for most of my life (40 years)
The answer to this question would change with each year.
I'm still blown away by Vinnie Vincents guitar playing skills. For the last 20 years I would say John Petrucci is one guitarist I would like to play like most.
I've nailed these tunes. Another Day, Under A Glass Moon and I still struggle with Pull Me Under and Metropolis (the climbing scales are tricky)
Meanwhile he recorded so many albums since then and a drummer friend wants to start a DT tribute band! :eek:

If only there were a magic pill! :p

Back
Top Bottom