IEM Sound Shaping

Unfortunately, I do not have stereo ears running yet. I don't have the mixer buses available for it and my current in-ears system doesn't allow it.

I'm using SE215s

They are getting the same fractal signal as FOH - I don't have a second board yet

Unfortunately, I do not have stereo ears running yet. I don't have the mixer buses available for it and my current in-ears system doesn't allow it.

I'm using SE215s

They are getting the same fractal signal as FOH - I don't have a second board yet
You'll need to buy more powerful SE's, molded earplugs, stereosignal and your own mix. You'll hardly be happy without that.

I'm using SE215s

Try minimum of 3 if not 5 drivers. Everything gets muddled otherwise.

sounds like an eq thing dude. if theres a way to send a seperate mix to FOH and to IEM mix, Try putting a graphic or parametric EQ andjust it to where it sounds good! (do this with your full band playing and running into the IEM mix as well. This is all considering that everyone else in the IEM mix sounds fine to you except the guitar. If thats not the case, and EVERYTHING doesnt sound good, maybe you need new in ears with better drivers

Try minimum of 3 if not 5 drivers. Everything gets muddled otherwise.

Blanket statements like that doesn't hold up in this world. There are 1 and 2-driver IEMs that sound good and many-driver IEMs that sound like trash.

Cases in point, Truthear Zero:red (dual dynamic) and Etymotic ER4XR (single BA). Note that the truthears require a very low output impedance headphone amp to sound right, but I'd pick either of them over Shure 535s or 846s, even if the Shures were free.

Unfortunately, for every good-sounding IEM, there's 10 examples of junk. Some of them are super hyped online, and I can't figure out why. FWIW, everything I've heard from KZ and Shure winds up in that box...the Shures can be usable, but I wouldn't call them good. I've tried a few KZs, and they all sound really scooped. IDK...maybe they've gotten better. It's been a few years.

All the other comments about making sure you get a good stereo mix and most of the advice in Cooper Carter's video are good things to try.

Blanket statements like that doesn't hold up in this world. There are 1 and 2-driver IEMs that sound good and many-driver IEMs that sound like trash.

Cases in point, Truthear Zero:red (dual dynamic) and Etymotic ER4XR (single BA). Note that the truthears require a very low output impedance headphone amp to sound right, but I'd pick either of them over Shure 535s or 846s, even if the Shures were free.

Unfortunately, for every good-sounding IEM, there's 10 examples of junk. Some of them are super hyped online, and I can't figure out why. FWIW, everything I've heard from KZ and Shure winds up in that box...the Shures can be usable, but I wouldn't call them good. I've tried a few KZs, and they all sound really scooped. IDK...maybe they've gotten better. It's been a few years.

All the other comments about making sure you get a good stereo mix and most of the advice in Cooper Carter's video are good things to try.
So you say, but I've tried the others and I disagree but hey everyone is different. In my live sitation with a full live band and others altering their levels as bassists etc do, I find I need a good number of drivers as one just gets over powered.

Not gonna write an IEM book (although I certainly could), so here’s the Cliff Notes version:

1) nine times out of ten, you MUST have the ability to customize your IEM mix. What’s good for FOH/wedges will usually sound dreadful via IEMs regardless of their quality.

2) a good set of custom molds is massively important for very low frequency response/accuracy. The hard plastic fits tight against your ear’s physical bone structure and transmits VLF via “bone conduction” (vibration), not so much air movement within the ear canal.

3) number of armature drivers is not necessarily an indicator of sound quality (but often can be) as 8 crappy armatures will still sound crappy. There are some (like me) who avoid armature-based IEMs like the plague, preferring single “dynamic” (tiny speaker) drivers for their smoother response and their lack of passive multi driver crossover networks that induce phase response anomalies.

4) true stereo helps immensely with being able to create an IEM mix with punch and clarity. Panning different sounds “around your head” instead of having everything placed in the middle of your head helps keep things separated/distinct and consequently allows your overall volume level to be lower.

5) if you’re going wireless the quality of your rig is super-important. Prices range from Shure/MiPro (quite reasonable) to Sennheiser (more $$ for a reason) to LectroSonics (stupid expensive and worth every dime). Worst place in your system to skimp (after the IEMs themselves).

FWIW, I use FutureSonics MG5 IEMs with a hard-wired headphone amp. Bliss.

I'm curious what amp.

I have one but stopped using it a while ago as it was clearly the weak link (a long cable either from the Fractal or a desktop DAC/Amp sounds significantly better).
It's an old-ish "iBasso-D2-Boa" combination DAC/amp that I clip on my belt like a body-pack wireless receiver. It's small, uses either external USB or internal lithium-ion battery power, has a stereo line-level "aux" input and drives low-impedence phones/IEM's with ease. Nice build quality, relatively bulletproof (it's suffered some physical abuse and never complained). I've had it seemingly forever, sounds GREAT and will blow your brains out if you like. Since it's long out of production, you'll have to do some internet digging for a comparable unit.

I'd pop over to head-fi.org and search their (massive) info for "portable dac/amp" and see what comes up.

On the Fractal side, I use Output 2 just for my IEMs. I add the Enhancer block and short Delay or Reverb to taste. That has helped make the experience more enjoyable for me.
Did the same and it helps a lot. Plus, I have a dedicated EQ on te guitar sound as we are using Behringer x18R with personal mixers: pumped the lows, mids and cut the highs. I am not experimenting to have a different cab on OUT2 for IAM to get a more 'rounder' sound

I use 3 different signal paths on FM9:

OUT 1 -> FOH
OUT 2 -> IEM where I add Enhancer and dedicated reverb. I am now looking to even switch to a different cab for IEM (more rounder sound). May also add an extra EQ.
OUT3 -> Powerstage 700 into 2 MESA 1x12 (not all the times)

Stereo rig improves the sound big time for me.

Our IEM is a Behringer XR18 and we have the PM16 personal mixes where we connect our IEMs transmitter. I Eq on the PM16 pumping lows, mids and cutting harsh highs.

IEM are A6T custom molded, yes, they are expensive, but the difference is important. As a cheeper alternative I warmly suggest the Audix A10 (which are my backup): they sound really good and the price is just unbeatable (universal plug).

I have replaced my attenuation filters in the A6T to get some more bleed from the FOH / Stage cabs, it helps, but careful not to have a huge onstage volume as the bleed will make the sound very funny in your IEM.

It is not like playing the traditional way, but the clarity of the mix and the low volume you can play with are a no brainer to me.

I will eventually try IEM from Mitch Marcum at dreamearz. He does custom IEM for some famous names (e.g. Todd La Torre) and the prices seems extremely competitive.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom