IEM recommendations - middle of the road?

sick pickle

Inspired
Hey everyone,

Currently using Shure 215's for my IEM. After watching Adam Neely's video which recommends the M6 Pros (budget china IEMS) I picked up a pair - I find them to be awful to be honest. They are going back.

Any recommendations for the best IEM in the 300-500 dollar range? I am not looking to get custom moulds or anything crazy high end at this time.

There are some Custom in ears available close to your price range and definitely worth the 'hassle'. Custom molds are really much better at getting a consistent, comfortable fit. Alclair and 64 Audio are two that come to mind as far as inexpensive options. Alclair's two driver model is $350 and their 3 driver is $500. 64 Audio's two driver is $500. Getting molds done at an audiologist runs around $30.

Alclair also has universal models with their 3 driver at $400. Ultimate Ears universal and Fender (Aurisonics) would be two that I would also suggest. I had the Aurisonics Eva which I believe is the same as the Fender FXA6. Much better sound than the Shure SE215. I listened through UE universals at a rehearsal and they sounded really good as well, just don't remember the model.

For the price, it's worth checking out Linsoul in ears. Surprisingly good sounding.

Amazon product ASIN B07QKYTGH9

I had Shure SE315, but changed them to KZ ZS10 Pro, which are good for listening to the music, but not quite for iEM - too much low end. I have switched to KZ AS16 and I am happy with them - they have quite flat response and are very clear. For me it is very important, especially clearness at the low end as I am bass player.

There are some Custom in ears available close to your price range and definitely worth the 'hassle'. Custom molds are really much better at getting a consistent, comfortable fit. Alclair and 64 Audio are two that come to mind as far as inexpensive options. Alclair's two driver model is $350 and their 3 driver is $500. 64 Audio's two driver is $500. Getting molds done at an audiologist runs around $30.

Alclair also has universal models with their 3 driver at $400. Ultimate Ears universal and Fender (Aurisonics) would be two that I would also suggest. I had the Aurisonics Eva which I believe is the same as the Fender FXA6. Much better sound than the Shure SE215. I listened through UE universals at a rehearsal and they sounded really good as well, just don't remember the model.

For the price, it's worth checking out Linsoul in ears. Surprisingly good sounding.

Not that I actually know anything about custom ear mold prices, but really, $30?

Around here (Boston, ish), a visit with any clinician for any reason would have to cost way more than that, even if they just told you they didn't like your face and shooed you away, much less having them make anything for you.

Am I just wrong?

Not that I actually know anything about custom ear mold prices, but really, $30?

Around here (Boston, ish), a visit with any clinician for any reason would have to cost way more than that, even if they just told you they didn't like your face and shooed you away, much less having them make anything for you.

Am I just wrong?
Yes, you would be wrong. Most in ear companies have a list of preferred audiologists but in any case, if the appointment is strictly for having impressions made, it's typically around $30.

Yes, you would be wrong. Most in ear companies have a list of preferred audiologists but in any case, if the appointment is strictly for having impressions made, it's typically around $30.
Cool. Is actually making them included, either in the audiology visit or the IE purchase?

Cool. Is actually making them included, either in the audiology visit or the IE purchase?
The audiologist makes an impression. That gets sent to the IEM manufacturer and they create the shell from the impression and fit all the drivers, armatures, etc inside then seal it all up and then smooth and polish it.

Am I just wrong?
I had mine done in Worcester MA back in 2019 and the charge for the molds and appointment was $75.

This. For the money, nothing in the $300 range is going to be significantly better than the KZs, so why spend the cash?
But nothing beats custom molds. Totally worth it.

Last edited:
I had Shure SE315, but changed them to KZ ZS10 Pro, which are good for listening to the music, but not quite for iEM - too much low end. I have switched to KZ AS16 and I am happy with them - they have quite flat response and are very clear. For me it is very important, especially clearness at the low end as I am bass player.
Any idea which ones to select here?
Prices are CAD

Attachments

• BF155D9B-6CED-4FA2-A823-BBB30D36656E.png
    BF155D9B-6CED-4FA2-A823-BBB30D36656E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Prices are CAD
I've only purchased models by Linsoul. Don't know if it really makes a difference but those are what I have actual experience with. As far as which model, don't think you could go wrong with either the top or bottom, as long as it doesn't have a mic.

Prices are CAD
KZ AS16 is obsolete, KZ AS16 Pro is new version, my 2nd band switched lately to IEM, bandmates bought AS16 Pro. Description says that they are improved, after quick check I did not noticed difference. I will try to get them next week for deeper testing.

KZ AS16 is obsolete, KZ AS16 Pro is new version, my 2nd band switched lately to IEM, bandmates bought AS16 Pro. Description says that they are improved, after quick check I did not noticed difference. I will try to get them next week for deeper testing.
I was really confused by this as the Linsoul website shows the Pro's being SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the regular AS16?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.36.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 10.36.14 AM.png
    426.8 KB · Views: 5
I definitely would not spend $500 on universal/generic fit. I'd highly suggest you save up a little longer and push your budget up just a bit and look at JH Audio JH7's. Really good custom molded 3 driver unit. I can say for certain those and the UE7 from ultimate ears are worlds better than the KZ/AS stuff (of course they cost more). Otherwise if you're set on Universal fit go look at the Westone stuff, way better than the KZ stuff from a sound profile POV.
Also, JH and UE will work with you on pricing, if you are part of a band they'll typically set the band up with a group discount and everybody can order on their own - we did that with both vendors. It isn't a huge discount but it's better than paying full price. JH has a multi unit discount on their site right now and is always having sales as well.

Back
Top Bottom