IEM Mix Input

etwinn

I’m using an Axe FX 3 live with and IEM mix from FOH. I’m constantly asking the engineering to EQ the IEM mix so it sounds pleasing to me.

Is there a way to take their IEM mix and route through the AF3 and then to my IEM unit so I can EQ myself via a PEQ block?

I was thinking adding an additional In and Out chain with the in being the FOH mix and out going to my Shure PSM300? Will this work?

Thanks gang!

I do, but I take the xlr with the monitor mix from the sound guy and plug it into input 1 left. (set it to left only) Put the input 2 block in each preset and route it to your IEM output. Add an EQ between if you want to EQ it. I use output 1 for this, and send the 1/4" left and right to my PSM300 in stereo. So the guitar is in stereo, an the IEM monitor is in mono blended on top. Use the level in the input 2 block to set how loud that is blended on top. Done.

It’s worth asking if youre satisfied with the sound of your guitar in the FOH mix. If you don’t like it in your ears, make sure it sounds acceptable at FOH, otherwise you may be hearing the baseline state of your guitar in the FOH mix.

Aka, if it sounds bad in the house mix, adjust the eq in the Axe to get it to sound better and as a result your iem mix will likely improve.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.51.57 AM.png

Out1 to FOH, In2 is monitor feed from FOH (stereo hopefully), Out2 goes to your IEM transmitter.

With this setup you'll want to tell FOH to remove your guitar from your monitor feed. Not sure if you're unhappy with the EQ of your guitar in your mix or the EQ of the overall FOH mix, but this setup will allow you to independently EQ your guitar and the monitor mix from FOH without affecting what you're sending to FOH.

Use the physical out2 volume knob to control the overall volume of your mix, and use the In2 output level parameter to control the relative volume of the FOH IEM mix.

Be careful sending two different guitar signals to FOH and your ears, it can make debugging more complex. IMO you should dial in your tones so you're happy with the raw signal in your ears, and send that same signal to FOH, so personally I would get rid of the top PEQ block.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.49.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.49.50 AM.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
I do this same thing.
Input 1 - guitar
Input 2 - Aux mix from mixer
Output 1 - mono feed to FOH
Output 2 - stereo mix to IEM

Put whatever you want into the signal chain. (I put Eq and reverb on my aux signal...it helps create some nice depth)
I use a Mixer block inside the Axe to balance out my guitar (in the Axe) to the Aux from FOH.
I also add a stereo enhancer block to my Output 2 mix (it sounds huge).

What I love the most is - by using the Mixer block I can also set up 'performance' controls so that I have 2 knobs available to control the mixer volumes. One knob to turn up/down my guitar and another knob to turn up/down my Aux feed coming into the Axe.
This gives me complete control over my IEM experience.
It has made me REALLY appreciate the fact that the Axe can be a 6 channel mixer and the performance page controls are under-discussed/appreciated.

My IEM mix is awesome.

Yep this is how I do it. I use out1 for ears and have out1 volume and in2 volume (the band) on performance pages for quick changes.

Reactions: BBN
I do this as well, with all my fractal products. I take an XLR to quarter inch cable and plug into input 2 and route the input 2 block into output 1 block. Feel free to add any sweetening between the input 2 block and the output 1 block. I would also recommend putting the input 2 level on a performance page so you can adust the level of the mix coming back to you. EQ at will, add some reverb to get the IEM mix a little more ear friendly.

Note: Send your guitar signal out of an output 2 block so it wont have a loop of sending the mix back to FOH. Lastly, make sure FOH or the mix doesn't have any guitar sent back to your IEM mix, or else your guitar signal will be out of phase in your ears. (It'll sound like a flanger is on permanently)

I use an Ernie Ball Instrument/headphone cable to route back into my IEM etc.

Interesting thread! Our band uses a dedicated IEM mixer (Behringer XR18) with a 16 channel splitter - one split to XR18 and other to FOH. The FM9 out1 goes to XR18. Out2 goes to FOH.

This way we control our individual band mix entirely independent of the FOH sound. It was rather costly (all the hardware, cases, etc.)

In reading this thread, it makes me wonder if we could have done this much easier? haha.

Interesting thread! Our band uses a dedicated IEM mixer (Behringer XR18) with a 16 channel splitter - one split to XR18 and other to FOH. The FM9 out1 goes to XR18. Out2 goes to FOH.

This way we control our individual band mix entirely independent of the FOH sound. It was rather costly (all the hardware, cases, etc.)

In reading this thread, it makes me wonder if we could have done this much easier? haha.
this is better because you're in control of the monitor mix and have the same mix every day, vs working with the FOH who could be a different person at the same gig, getting the mix and EQ set.

the more control you have over your sound, the harder it is and usually more gear, but the result can be much better and more consistent.

i prefer this method when possible and it makes sense with the load in. some gigs you just have to go with whatever they have. try to be comfortable with both and you'll have successful experiences most of the time :D

With those behringer mixers, you can give each band member control of just their iem mix and let them tweak it with an app on their phone. So you can use the same mixer for FOH and iem. We’ve toyed with this as we’re on xr18 as well.

With those behringer mixers, you can give each band member control of just their iem mix and let them tweak it with an app on their phone. So you can use the same mixer for FOH and iem. We’ve toyed with this as we’re on xr18 as well.
If you’re doing your own sound completely.

With a venue and its own FOH gear, most sound guys want to use their gear and not mix with your xr18. That’s why a split snake or panel has been implemented in many rigs lately.

We do it in a similar way. Except that we use a MIDAS X32 together with a Midas stagebox. For the in-ear mix we use the MIDAS DP48. But here, too, a passive split is required. The FOH techs like to have control over the gains ;-)

I do this same thing.
Input 1 - guitar

Put whatever you want into the signal chain. (I put Eq and reverb on my aux signal...it helps create some nice depth)
I use a Mixer block inside the Axe to balance out my guitar (in the Axe) to the Aux from FOH.

What I love the most is - by using the Mixer block I can also set up 'performance' controls so that I have 2 knobs available to control the mixer volumes. One knob to turn up/down my guitar and another knob to turn up/down my Aux feed coming into the Axe.
It has made me REALLY appreciate the fact that the Axe can be a 6 channel mixer and the performance page controls are under-discussed/appreciated.

My IEM mix is awesome.
Hi, I am very new to the Fractal experience, but this is exactly how I want to run live. Can this be setup globally or is it per preset based?

Hi, I am very new to the Fractal experience, but this is exactly how I want to run live. Can this be setup globally or is it per preset based?
Presets determine the routing of ins and outs. So it has to be setup in each preset.

I do this same thing.
Input 1 - guitar

My IEM mix is awesome.
I´m doing the same.
the only downside is that the Tuner is muting every input or output (when muting ist on). Is there workaround i´ve been missing? Example: Tuning in the Keyboard Intro is not great when you don´t hear your dudes ;-)

Last edited:
thx, but it did´nt work. also set "Mute" to "Input" did´nt fix it. I´ll double check. Maybe a bug in 24.03?

Guys, can someone check this: Input 2 mutes when tuner is activated:
Here is the preset and global setting.

Input 1 = guitar
Input 2 = analog stereo feed (XLR Inputs)
Output 1 = stereo FoH
Output 2 = stereo inear feed.
Output 3 = Guitar Cab (no cab sim)
1704372340584.png

Also made a small clip.

you can see that the input selection in the tuner tab makes no difference.

I never tried it this way before 24.03. Can someone check? maybee it´s a bug

Attachments

• IEM Test.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IIIMk2-240104-131755-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom