IEC cable length???

Guitar-Tiz

Experienced
I've never seen this brought up so here goes...

I've used quite a few passive PA cabinets, and the only thing you have to worry about is how long your speaker cable is, (I've personally used mixers up to 50' away from the PA) but with actives you also have to worry about how long your IEC cable is as well.

So my question is how long is the IEC that comes with those active cabs. (any, and all brands)

Why?

Well, if you've got those suckers on top of a sub using a pole and stage plugs are in short supply it would suck if you didn't have an IEC long enough to plug it into anything, now wouldn't it?

(Yes ,I know you can buy them separately, but the less I have to spend the better.)

Most of the ones i have seen are 6-8' long. If plugs are in short supply an extension cord comes in real handy :mrgreen: .

Sixstring said:
Most of the ones i have seen are 6-8' long. If plugs are in short supply an extension cord comes in real handy :mrgreen: .

I don't like to use extension cords, they are an add potential point of failure I don't like to, well, add.

6 - 8' Hmmm...

I may need something longer...

$95.00 for a 50' IEC is outrages. I just tie the power and extension cords together so they don't get pulled apart. It's not like a powered speaker is pulling massive curent. As long as the blades and the receptacle are tite it's all good.

Sixstring said:
$95.00 for a 50' IEC is outrages. I just tie the power and extension cords together so they don't get pulled apart. It's not like a powered speaker is pulling massive curent. As long as the blades and the receptacle are tite it's all good.

I've seen 50'ers at a few places for $20 - $30, and I even seen them as low as $12 but they where obviously of low quality.

I personally don't think I'll need more than 20' myself.

Guitar-Tiz said:
Sixstring said:

I've seen 50'ers at a few places for $20 - $30, and I even seen them as low as $12 but they where obviously of low quality.

+1 to what Sixstring said. Electrical tape is your friend. Go nuts on that IEC/extension cord juction.

iaresee said:
Guitar-Tiz said:
Sixstring said:

+1 to what Sixstring said. Electrical tape is your friend. Go nuts on that IEC/extension cord juction.

I don't know. I guess it's because I was raised with a "right tool for the right job" kind of ethic I just can't go that route. Either that or I've see to many un-findable unplugged mains from using to many extension cords.

I used to use an extension cord on my Power conditioner, because the cable was only 3' long, but I had WAY to many accidental unpluggings, (even with tape, and all of the other gadgets that where specifically designed to help that particular problem) so I removed the old power cable, and installed a 15'er (which was longer than I needed in most cases,) and while I still had a few unplugs, they where easier to find, and fewer.

I think I'll just buy a longer PC (IEC) cable, I'd feel better about it at a gig. I just don't see $30 being that big of a burden, especially considering the price of most powered speakers.

Back
Top Bottom