Ideas for a superfat soft lead tone?

aziz

Power User
I'm hunting a mega fat lead tone, as always. Dripping in pork fat-fat. The idea in my head is to combine some qualities from a Mesa/Boogie Studio22 and Bogner XTC, both amps (in my mind) have this unique quality with their lead tones, it's kind of a slight and subtle octave up -feel in the distortion, which then makes the tone incredibly fat and bouncy, especially in the low strings. (My Studio22 was broken when I got it, maybe that's the reason for my memory of its tone.)

Here's a clip, first a tone from another piece of equipment that shall remain unidentified, which has a bit of this "octave" feel that I'm after, but otherwise it's horrible, and then my Axe patch of the moment:

Has anyone else been hunting for this kind of tones? What do I need to tweak to go over the top with this tone? So far I've found that overwhelming the power amp with low frequencies has been the key to getting that fat bounce (graphic EQ in amp block, boost the bass pre power amp to make is mushy, high power supply sag), but the octave up -feel is still hiding somewhere, I have a bit of that, but like YJM says, more is more. Where would I get those 2nd harmonics?

Last edited:
@aziz love that clip. Looking forward to some of the heavy tone tweakers to jump in with suggestions.

I'm more of a mid gain guy but that reminds me of my Shiva combo. The closed back cab gives the bass that awesome tight feeling.

Back
Top Bottom