Ibanez RGIB6: EMG 81 vs Nazgul video! FW16.02 FASMODERN/OwnHammer

erockomania

Experienced

I wanted to grab a decent studio workhorse for bands wanting to record at very low tunings. The Ibanez RGIB6 28” scale baritone fit the bill as it’s a very good price point and comes with EMG pickups. I also wanted to try the Seymour Duncan Nazgul - Sentient set so I figured I’d do a comparison video so you could also see what they sound like.

In this video you will see side by side comparisons of both the EMG 81 and the Seymour Duncan Nazgul. I think you will find they are pretty different. Both were run into the same exact patch on the Fractal Audio Axe-FX2 (FAS MODERN) and used the same custom IR I made exclusively with OwnHammer High Gain Essentials IRs. The tune is in Drop G.

All drums are Superior Drummer and mixed in Superior Drummer except for some further bus treatment only.

The bass is the Dingwall Combustion 5 string into the Axe-FX2 USA BASS patch.

Let me know what you think!

just the audio:

Last edited:
Everything sounds great imho! If I had to choose between pickups, I'd say I'm leaning towards the Nazgul as it has got more bite.
If you don't mind me asking, what string gauge are you using for drop g? :)

Last edited:
EMG sounds fuller to me.

Agreed. I've tried out the SD Nagul, Pegasus and Sentient and they weren't in my guitars for more than a day. I'm now sporting mostly EMG 57/66 and 707s in my guitars. I do have an Ibanez Universe and an Ibanez RGD Prestige with Dimarzios though. Gotta have a few passive guitars. But even then, I would stick with Dimarzio's over the SD.

Thanks for doing this comparison. I like the EMG's more in the video. Can you post your patch, it sounds great.

Thanks guys.

It should be noted that I tried to make it fair by not dialing the patch with either guitar but a 3rd party guitar. The patch was balanced to the best I could get it then the ibby was tracked with each set of pickups. I'm confident I could make both sets sound awesome. There is certainly a more scooped sound to the nazgul and a slightly more full sound and less top to the emgs.

I think the EMG sounds flatter. It worked for crunch chords, but the Nazgul worked better for appegiated chords and single string stuff. Thinking about it, you should've dialed it in for each, to let their qualities shine.

Of course, 'cleaner' sounding gain would make things easier all round. Another thing is that if you palm-mute the string, it'll lose some of that wheedle-wheedle-wheedle double-picking sound on the higher strings (jesus, where did the kids get that lame punk rock no-mute picking......?), but at the very least, change the pitch of your pick toward you some.

Back
Top Bottom