Ibanerz rg2228 --> rga8 setup

Cobrango

Power User
Hello ladies and gentlemen :) I've got an Ibanez rg2228 with a perfect setup (for me) from nobody else than Allen Victor Hunter (who else right?) (Meshuggah guitar tech) and I've got the rg 2228 with d'addarios 0.08's+0.60+0.80 and I really like it. some time ago I got myself a rga8 but I've not started using it yet because it needs a setup to even be playable for me the way I like it. I've been looking at prices here in Oslo and I've been doing some guitarmods here and there over the years, but I've never done a full setup on an 8-string. I'm writing this thread hoping that anyone here could offer me some tips? my plan is to just copy this perfect setup from my rg2228 to my rga8. I know one simply does not just copy the magic wizard handcraft from mister Hunter himself but since I've got the rg2228 I'm thinking of just copying the measures on string action and individual string radius etc. I know it's not the same guitar but the specs are almost identical. So my questions about this are:

1. do I just take off all the strings first?
2. in what way would you have done this?
3. since there are two truss rods, do I have to make "5 minute turns" (as in a quart turn) to have them in sync while adjusting?
4. is there anything I need to be aware of?
5. I got inspired from the video below, and I want to learn this and be confident enough to do this on guitars in the future. not that anyone can become a guitar tech in five minutes but hey, one gotta start somewhere right?

6. no, I'm not just taking it to a guitar tech.
7. maybe I'll change the neck pickup aswell for a Dimarzio Ionizer, need to get that done aswell. the perfect time is now.
8. why am I asking all these questions? I know! just do it right? haha, it's always a good idea to ask for advice I think. peace!

42169d1409488606-ibanez-rg2228-rga8-setup-img_9852.jpg

42170d1409488606-ibanez-rg2228-rga8-setup-img_9856.jpg

Back
Top Bottom