Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) Axe-Fx III

Fun interview. I wondered how he got those low fifths with so much fuzz to not go sharp when the chord was struck…having an octaver makes sense.

Such a great player, and a great voice. But this has rekindled my desire to get the Hedgehog in the AxeFX! That beefy midrange without the flab…
Was watching some older YT vids and here's a nice up n personal with Ian Thornley on Andertons. This portion he demonstrates his unique style. He's such a damn good player and I'm gonna try to incorporate some of these bends he often uses in my playing.

Fun interview. I wondered how he got those low fifths with so much fuzz to not go sharp when the chord was struck…having an octaver makes sense.

Such a great player, and a great voice. But this has rekindled my desire to get the Hedgehog in the AxeFX! That beefy midrange without the flab…
yeah his taste in tone is top notch. Also I had no idea he was being considered in Velvet Revolver

I want to try a hedgehog so bad. Or a modeled one by fractal. Would be awesome. Fremen has a preset in his essential presents pack that comes VERY close that uses a dumble/ods model. If suhr ever came out with their own modeling unit or something like the Friedman Ir-x but that included all their amp models and effects, I’d buy it in a freaken heartbeat.

Btw, the new big wreck EP comes out tomorrow!

I want to try a hedgehog so bad. Or a modeled one by fractal. Would be awesome. Fremen has a preset in his essential presents pack that comes VERY close that uses a dumble/ods model. If suhr ever came out with their own modeling unit or something like the Friedman Ir-x but that included all their amp models and effects, I’d buy it in a freaken heartbeat.

Btw, the new big wreck EP comes out tomorrow!
I pre-ordered it through Patreon and they kindly sent it to me here in England last week.

A couple of songs are two of the best they've ever done, a couple have grown on my and the other two are misses

The biggest disappointed is the lack of guitar solo's

I haven't tackled it yet but my general thinking on this effect is tremolo obviously with a fast chop into a delay perhaps around 450ms and 1 or 2 repeats tops feeding into light reverb and phaser. If someone comes up with this in the meantime...please share!

I pre-ordered it through Patreon and they kindly sent it to me here in England last week.

A couple of songs are two of the best they've ever done, a couple have grown on my and the other two are misses

The biggest disappointed is the lack of guitar solo's
When I’m finished listening to the album I’ll start a big wreck new album thread and share my thoughts to open up some discussion for fun. Listening to some via my AirPods now while I pack then I have a long drive ahead of me which I plan to blast the album 😂

When I’m finished listening to the album I’ll start a big wreck new album thread and share my thoughts to open up some discussion for fun. Listening to some via my AirPods now while I pack then I have a long drive ahead of me which I plan to blast the album 😂
It does sound really good played loud in the car!

Finished work early today and sitting down now to listen to their new EP....holy crap! Does. not. disappoint. Mix sounds awesome and I just love the way he constructs songs. 'In fair light' reminds me of 'Ghosts' quite a bit. Love it. The massiveness in the second track 'Bail Out'. Ian loves guitar and it shows.

recovering from a late night but the show last night was excellent. I got to the venue and caught the last few songs of Daniel Greaves. He was doing a solo thing on a rhodes /electric piano. You may know of the band he founded back in the 90's 'The Watchmen'. Canadian band. Texas King (another Canadian band) followed and they were really good. Good musicianship and put on an energetic performance. Really good stuff. Big Wreck was last and they played some new material which just blew my mind live. Ian Thornley is insane on guitar. My only complaint was they were just so darn loud (i'm thinking of huey lewis cameo in back to the future telling Marty his band is too loud). I found the mix was more balanced with Texas King. There were times i was just hearing the loud thump/distortions of amps with Big Wreck. I assume they'd use the same sound guy up front for all acts...not 100% sure. Venue is medium sized and provides great intimate experience. I'm kind of over arena concerts especially given those ticket prices.

Attachments

• IMG_3379.JPG
    IMG_3379.JPG
    927.8 KB · Views: 20
recovering from a late night but the show last night was excellent. I got to the venue and caught the last few songs of Daniel Greaves. He was doing a solo thing on a rhodes /electric piano. You may know of the band he founded back in the 90's 'The Watchmen'. Canadian band. Texas King (another Canadian band) followed and they were really good. Good musicianship and put on an energetic performance. Really good stuff. Big Wreck was last and they played some new material which just blew my mind live. Ian Thornley is insane on guitar. My only complaint was they were just so darn loud (i'm thinking of huey lewis cameo in back to the future telling Marty his band is too loud). I found the mix was more balanced with Texas King. There were times i was just hearing the loud thump/distortions of amps with Big Wreck. I assume they'd use the same sound guy up front for all acts...not 100% sure. Venue is medium sized and provides great intimate experience. I'm kind of over arena concerts especially given those ticket prices.
Interesting; I saw them in smaller theatre in NYC and they weren’t too loud thankfully. Makes me appreciate how dynamic and sensitive musics sounds really are! Funny how you mention ticket prices for arena shows because I just spent $60 for
Two tickets to a Chris Cornell tribute (more like cover band) at a local theatre smh

Back
Top Bottom