IA switch not available - MFC-101 MKIII

I was wondering if someone has experienced this, if it is a known issue or just my MFC-101.

I've searched this forum but cannot locate anything that seems to be related to this.

I am using my MFC-101 MKIII with beta firmware 3.09 as a general midi controller in my guitar rig.

Using midi cable and drawing power from 1 Spot Pro C-7, from the 9v, 500ma output.

It is currently setup to have 4 presets on the bottom row and the rest are IA's

The issue is that IA 5 is not available if I have a 4 preset bank setup.

It does not light up and pressing it does not do anything.

The same happens if I have a 5 preset bank setup, IA 6 is not available.

There is data assigned for the IA 5 or IA 6 switch, all my IA's have data assigned.

If I press the the Reveal switch, IA 5 is lit and available in a 4 preset bank setup, as are the rest of the IA's.

I press IA 5 and data is sent.

The same happens if I have 5 preset bank setup, IA 6 is not available until I press the Reveal switch, after which IA6 is available, as are all the rest of the IA's

I have tried other default bank preset setups and each time the IA that should be visible/available after the last bank preset is not, until i go into Reveal mode.

It's as if the IA that immediately follows the last bank preset is disabled/dead in bank mode.

I have tried resetting and reinstalling the firmware 3.09 on the MFC-101 but no go.

I've read the manual a few times concerning bank setups, tried adjusting how the banks are configured, etc, but cannot seem to recover the unavailable IA after the last bank preset.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!!

Hello Fernando !! Recently I was trying to program my MFC (same model like yours) as a controller for my Axe FXIII coz I cannot have acces to a FC6 o FC12 at this moment. I was involved in a challenge and have similar problems when I just changed the setup from 8 Scenes in a Bank to 5 Scenes, even when I deleted and programming from zero directly for 5 Scenes. I know thats's not your situation coz you're trying to use as a MIDI controller for a Rig...Did you tried the MFC Edit...? Sometimes I got better results reseting the unit to factory default and also to another state...did you try that way...? MFC is like a computer not the same dumb controller like the FC where all the real work happens on the Axe unit...MFC records everything and keep it...try different resets and check tghe MFC Edit, maybe can be a good tool

Hope you can solve the problem.
Saludos,

Rolando
(I wrote you in english coz I don't know if you speak spanish...)

Gracias por su repuesta, Rolando!

I will now switch back to English so all forum members can follow along, thx!

Yes, I always use MFC-Edit as it is the easiest and fastest way to make changes and edits.

The only time i go into the menus on the actual, physical MFC-101 is when I re-calibrate the 4 foot pedals for sweep CC controls.

I was hoping for an "easy" fix, or a workaround that I have not found that someone else might have on this forum.

I actually have not tried putting the MFC-101 into a different mode, like "Axe control" control mode and then reverting back.

I probably will try that today.

Having 1 less IA is not really a "showstopper', since I do have access to it once I hit the Reveal switch, and I also have the extra 4 external IA switches configured.

I just have had to setup my IA's to where the most used IA's are on the IA switches that are always visible without pressing the Reveal switch.

The MFC-101 is a pretty awesome piece of kit, especially considering the price point it was being sold at back in the day.

I was saddened when it was discontinued because when it finally gives up the ghost and cannot be repaired, the current market really does not have a similar product that I can afford.

I do not really need the LCD screens that are on some of the models I've seen as, for me, they are just another layer that needs to be programmed and for it to glitch on, plus the added weight and possibilities of failure, but that's just me.

Anyways, thanks again for responding and reading!

Muchas gracias de nuevo por responder!!

Saludos,
Fernando

So I'm posting this even though it's a little embarrassing:

My issue was due to human error, lol, typical.

I was running an old version of MFC-Edit, 5.2, instead of the latest, 8.5.

Once I downloaded and installed 8.5, opened my sysex file with the current config for my MFC-101, then uploaded it to the controller, I "recovered" the disabled IA switch immediately following the Presets, in my case, I have 4 Presets, IA 5 began working.

Now there is another issue, lol, just a side note, I know i should probably post it in the MFC-Edit forum.

After upgrading to MFC-Edit 8.5, if I close it and restart the program, it no longer opens.

I found a work-around after some deep triage, I work in IT, lol.

I won't go into the gory details, but I can if your really interested, lol.

My work-around is to uninstall MFC-Edit 8.5, reinstall 5.2, then upgrade to 8.5.

It will work until I close MFC-Edit when I'm done. If i try to start it after ending the program or rebooting the computer, no go.

I have two computers, a laptop, Dell G15 3590 with an Intel processor running WIN 11 22H2 and a Generic AMD processor desktop running Win 11 21H2.

Java 8 u371 are on both machines.

The same symptoms on both machines manifest as described above.

Anyways, a minor inconvenience to continue to be able to use and program my MFC-101.

I may try running a virtual machine with an old version of Win 10 or Win 7 with a legacy java package as stipulate in the MFC-Edit documentation and see if that is a cleaner solution.

Thanks for reading!

Hello Fernando !! Great to have news...Unfortunately I'm under MacOS and the pain is to have the right Java version for the MFC Edit but I don't have that kind of problem...Maybe is just in Windows? I cannot tell you. If you want write me by Telegram, I have a group for Fractal in Spanish (we share presets, IR's, news and problems there :tearsofjoy:;)), maybe we can find a solution with some people there...here's the link...you're welcome... https://t.me/+_jGbmTx5fCYzY2Mx

Back
Top Bottom