I won't take all the credit . . . but . . .

LAYGO

Experienced
From the AFX2 manual:
Bonus! Reclaim pedalboard real estate with a “Wildcard” footswitch. (Hi Dweezil!) Set it to a CC# and
assign this to an External Controller. Then assign this EXT source as needed to the bypass (mode)
modifiers of different effects or settings across different presets.

Posted Nov 2009:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/18596-fcb1010-looper-controls.html#post368117

(the above posted to show you I'm looking in the manual!)

But, here's the real question I'm presently stumped on: I can't find the thread or info in the manual about when you have an expression pedal & if you have it unplugged what's value should be (100%) so you get some output? For the world of me, I remember the thread, but not any specific keywords to help me find it again. I'm getting 0 output to my poweramp. :(

Thoughts?

EXT CTRL # INIT VAL
0% OR 100%
This specifies an initial value to be used for each of the 12 External Controllers (p.
126) until remote data is received. This also applies when the controller is absent. For
example, if you normally use an expression pedal to control the VOLUME block in a
particular preset, the absence of that pedal might mean that the preset gets “stuck”
in a silent position. Setting an initial value of 100% for the EXTERNAL CONTROLLER
mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the pedal is not connected, the
volume will be all the way up instead of all the way off.

Ok, I was in the right section, but I'm still thinking this might not apply? Does this matter if I set it to say (CC#10 Input Volume)?

I don't think so as I'm getting input to my AFX2, but no output via XLR to my poweramp (out 1 to channel 1 on my SLA-2, no lights showing input on the SLA-2).

What does your pedal normally control? The EXT CTRL init values apply to EXT CTRLs as modifiers, not input or output volume. In/Out volumes should be 100% at power on until a value is received for their controller.

Last edited:
I'm starting to freak out because something similar happened with my Ultra right before I bought my AFX2. Turns out, some how, both output opamps (?) got burnt out & I had zero output.

Under UTILITY -> STATUS, I'm seeing my graphs jump on input, but NOTHING on output. If I hit BYPASS (light on), I see output graphs moving, but still nothing output.

What does your pedal normally control? The EXT CTRL init values apply to EXT CTRLs as modifiers, not input or output volume. In/Out volumes should be 100% at power on until a value is received for their controller.

I had it originally as a Volume Output controller, but I upgraded my LFJr firmware & it didn't seem to keep those values, so I was just resetting them all & decided I wanted as Input Volume. I was going to test that it was interfacing w/the AFX2 correctly & now I can't hear anything.

I'm about to hook up another poweramp to test.

Different poweramp, same results.

ZERO OUTPUT! :(

AFX2 worked perfectly on SUN using OUT1 ¼" direct to mixer.

Nothing is being output to either 1 or 2! :( I can't believe this. I'm hoping it's not the same thing again. I'm beginning to suspect the SLA-2. I haven't been using it because I've been going direct at practice, but was going to use it tonight to my cab to test. The SLA-2 did work though back in DEC for a gig.

UTILITY -> Secret Page -> Toggle Test Tone scared the ever living fuck out of me (power amp level was maxed).

I'm getting zero guitar output though.

Level for input but not output meters at the utility page means there's probably nothing broken, just input or both output volumes zeroed or something in the preset muting things. What happens if you set Input, Out 1, Out 2 volumes all to "none" and reboot?

Level for input but not output meters at the utility page means there's probably nothing broken, just input or both output volumes zeroed or something in the preset muting things. What happens if you set Input, Out 1, Out 2 volumes all to "none" and reboot?

I'm guessing you meant OUT1/OUT2 knobs on the front & the I/O IN1/IN2 virtual knobs? I set those to zero, reboot. I'm now seeing OUT1 L/R hovering around 75%. PROGRESS!

I powered off, went to the back, switched the cable from OUT2 to OUT1, reboot & I lost the signal. I had left the dials up. Once back up, OUT1 L/R were zeroed again.

Last edited:
I meant the items at the top of the I/O: CTRL page. Just a way to prevent CCs you're unaware of from zeroing those items if you're changing presets with a MIDI controller. Had you rebooted at all recently before the latest reboot that just brought sound back? I was thinking the CTRL page input volume item got zeroed somehow, and that's what a reboot should put back to 100%. I don't think there's a way to view the current value of that item--there wasn't on the standard/Ultra. I'm pretty sure it doesn't adjust the input level virtual knob you can actually see/adjust, which you could verify by checking after sending a CC for input volume.

If I power off with OUT1 above 0, power back on, I get no output again.

If I power off with OUT1 zeroed, power back on, I get output. Something ain't right with this.

I've removed my SLA-2 entirely from the case now (before I started all this).

What gives?

I meant the items at the top of the I/O: CTRL page. Just a way to prevent CCs you're unaware of from zeroing those items if you're changing presets with a MIDI controller. Had you rebooted at all recently before the latest reboot that just brought sound back? I was thinking the CTRL page input volume item got zeroed somehow, and that's what a reboot should put back to 100%. I don't think there's a way to view the current value of that item--there wasn't on the standard/Ultra. I'm pretty sure it doesn't adjust the input level virtual knob you can actually see/adjust, which you could verify by checking after sending a CC for input volume.

In the odd crossing of what we were talking about, I'm getting sound.

I'm disconnecting the LFJr & powering on to see. Still sound if I have OUT1 zeroed (physical knob).

The next weird thing is that if I powered off/on with my Furman instead of the actual power switch on the AFX2, it wasn't working, even if OUT1 was zeroed. I was testing it one more time, yet now it works powering off w/the Furman. Hmmmmm.

My I/O, CTRL are STILL default in all of this. 10/11/12. I never set them to none.

edit: Your previous post mostly answered what I had asked. If the LF was being powered off/on along with the Axe I'm guessing it's sending 0 for CC#10. That's why setting those items to "none" on the Axe-FX can help find the cause.

Last edited:
edit: Your previous post mostly answered what I had asked. If the LF was being powered off/on along with the Axe I'm guessing it's sending 0 for CC#10. That's why setting those items to "none" on the Axe-FX can help find the cause.

I'll double check that, thanks for the help seriously. I was thinking it was going to cost me another $100 RMA!

I double checked my MIDI assignments last night & I did not see anything out of the ordinary. I do notice now that my expression pedal is not generating any midi signal thru the LFJr. I will try turning Vol In/Out1/Out2 to none if we have practice today.

I stopped using the FCB-1010 because I had to re-calibrate the pedals every few times I used it. Have you tried re-calibrating the pedals? Have you tried unplugging the 1010 and then rebooting? If it comes back up repeatedly, then the 1010 is to blame.

I stopped using the FCB-1010 because I had to re-calibrate the pedals every few times I used it. Have you tried re-calibrating the pedals? Have you tried unplugging the 1010 and then rebooting? If it comes back up repeatedly, then the 1010 is to blame.

I'm not using the FCB1010 anymore (I still have them), but using the LFJr.

Back
Top Bottom