I wonder if we will be able to "see" the entire electromagnetic spectrum after we die?

..that's the problem with us monkeys... not accepting our condition in this nihilistic ..let's call it universe...or whatever it is.

except if you do things like building pyramids, create songs like Stairway to heaven, kill a couple of millions, etc

In 4 more generations, it is still possible that someone other than musicologists will recall that "Stairway to Heaven" was the name of a song. I hope so.

But, not in 8 generations. By then, they'll still recall Stalin and Hitler and Mao, not to mention Sneferu and Khufu, but sadly, probably not Page and Plant and Bonham and Jones.

Sorry. I'm in a bit of a funk tonight. (Not the James Brown variety, either.)

Not too dark a funk to be willing to quibble about definitions, though! Looking back at what I wrote, I find I am uncertain how to define a "generation." I've heard "40 years" the offered as a definition, but I am uncertain why: There's not 40 years' difference between my age and that of my youngest child, and I don't suppose I'm atypical! So maybe my estimates of the longevity of "Stairway" are off, if I am misunderstanding the unit of measure.

Still: Even "Stairway" will submit, sooner rather than later, to the observation "This, too, shall pass."

I wonder if we will be able to "see" the entire electromagnetic spectrum...

I think this question is really interesting, but (I speculate that) we have to distinguish between normal and extraordinary sources of experience.

Without a body, one's intellect has no sensory organs, or neurons, and thus no normal means to obtain streams of experience from any material source.

Maybe there are "extraordinary" means? What would those be?

If alternative streams of experience exist that are available to disembodied minds, probably our only evidence comes from stories of near-death experiences. (And, I shouldn't have to say, that's very anecdotal.)

But I think we DO have to query such sources, if we are unwilling to trust authority-claims of any religious sources, and yet still hope for some preparatory information about what life is like without our bodies.

After all...
  • unless one's disembodied mind has something like an ability to telepathically commune with other minds..., or,
  • unless disembodied minds have a natural capacity to interact with matter other than the matter of their own (now decomposing) body...,
in short, unless there are extraordinary sources of experience to replace the ordinary ones we use through our bodies...,

...the most-likely experience of a disembodied mind is a permanently-conscious, eventless nothingness. :oops:

Not fun.

Of course, the ability to telepathically commune with other minds would be a preferable alternative IF, and ONLY if, those minds were sane, happy, and loving ones.

I'd rather not think much about what it would be like, if all the minds within your telepathic reach had been driven screaming and psychopathic by endless ages of loneliness, devoid of sensory experience, punctuated every eon or so by the terror of encountering other insane minds, scrabbling and shrieking like two swimmers permanently trying to avoid drowning by climbing on top of one another.... o_O

Yeah, don't sign me up for that. I'll pass.

What does that leave?

If there are such things as disembodied minds -- and I have my own reasons for thinking that there are -- it seems likely they somehow can perceive material realities. That, after all, is suggested to us by examples of temporarily-dead persons reporting (after their resuscitation) "floating above their bodies," observing the doctors working on them, and sometimes observing things in other rooms, or generating "crisis apparitions" in distant places. They didn't have the benefit of their own eyes and noses and ears, during the time they were dead; yet they "saw" things. (But, again: anecdotal!)

But what would be the benefit of hanging around under such circumstances? And how long would that last? I get the impression that such interactions are for a limited time only: A quick waltz with the material plane, before gliding out the door.

Probably the only real hope in this whole picture is the idea that, underlying all of reality, there is something like a Mind sustaining all other things in existence: Something out of which the material plane flows as a story flows from the mind of an author: Something "in which we live and move and have our being."

A mind like THAT would be well worth communing with, telepathically, presuming that such a thing was possible (and presuming that the All-Sustaining Mind wished to commune with us). Through that communion, we could (potentially, in proportion to our finite capacity) perceive all things, if that Mind shared those things with us. (After all, it would have access to all reality, in all levels of detail, not by passively observing each real thing, but rather by actively sustaining each real thing in existence.)

Something like THAT, I think, is the only real hope we can foresee, in the notion of minds that survive physical death.

To return to the original question: Through communion with such a Mind, we might experience reality in ways that were broader than the narrow spectral range our physical eyes could absorb.

But not, I think, because we were seeing a "broader range of the electromagnetic spectrum." Our wider experience would instead come to us through vicariously "piggybacking" on the "active knowledge" of that All-Sustaining Mind. Sure, I suppose X-rays and Ultraviolet fall within that knowledge, but merely perceiving what blocks or absorbs X-Rays would be a tiny and not-especially-helpful sliver of all the other new information available!

Obviously, my speculations have drawn rather close to what most people call "God." But I was trying to answer in the spirit of the original question, not get sidetracked by theological disputes. So I've kept my answer as abstract as possible.

Hopefully, some of you will find it interesting! (If not, well, there are always plenty of stompbox reviews on YouTube.)

Last edited:
Or have an "experience" of some sort.

View attachment 105699

Nikola Tesla saw them all, and actually made machines or the basis of the machines listed.

There's a quantum world going on under reality that we are not conscious of, and we don't understand much of it. Just maybe there's a world going on under that one too. There's no definite answer or proof, so what you choose to believe takes some form of faith - I prefer a good version.

Because the guitar is not supposed to be the whole band.

Some guitarists are rather stubborn about this and want to be the guitar,
the bass, kick drum, and cymbals. ;)
that would mean that in a 1-piece band you could get rid of the cab sim. don't think that's the complete picture

Back
Top Bottom