I wish I hadn't heard of the Axe-FX II...

Where do you stay mate?
Translation: Where do you live mate?

I've been here. My experience is that, in the longer run, it's cheaper to by an Axe-FX than mess about with lots of other bits of equipment that don't quite do the job. The only things I've bought since getting an Ultra three years ago is a rack case and a Midisport. If funding is the limitation, (and where isn't it?) then buy secondhand, either a Standard or an Ultra, and an FCB1010, and play it through your existing power amp and speakers.

Quick question -- why did you get the Midisport? I know the Axe has a USB interface -- does it have limitations over what can be done over that? (Firmware upgrades?)

Quick question -- why did you get the Midisport? I know the Axe has a USB interface -- does it have limitations over what can be done over that? (Firmware upgrades?)

The Axe II has USB, the Standard and Ultra has midi, so you need a Midisport or similar to access Axechange or AxeEdit

I used a gt8 into the return of my mkIII for years(4 cable method didn't sit for me). Then for some reason thought if I get a G-System all would be well.. Ad to be honest it did sound bloody good! I did hear of the axe on a forum and had a look listen but had it in my silly little noggin that I needed tubes for tone I'd wished I'd looked a little harder at the axefx back then... Anyhow moving along

My gas for the black box of beauty grew and grew ... I quenched my desire temporarily with an Eleven Rack - another great box, which some great features as far as DAW integration etc.

Then the II came out and that was it, had to have it... Sold the G-System, and mkIII hoping to be able to get a axefxII and MFC unfortunately my love got to some of the funds :(

Sold the Eleven Rack ... I did want to keep it as a backup but too bad.

I got the axe and have not regretted it ... No gas anymore.. Great tone and any volume.. To power it I'm using an antique pair of Peavey 12" PA Speakers powered by an equally ancient soundtech 300 watt amp and find it quite satisfactory. I can play with my kids in bed in the next room and wind it up when I get the chance.

The gigs I've done have been done using a peavey studio 112 return ... I have a cheap Peak fcb8n midi controller .. Works for now and sounds good to me.

You won't regret it .. Just don't go listen to the best FRFR solution if all you can afford is cheap like mine... Best that way :)

Best of luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The seed has been planted and you'll never be happy until you buy it! (You know it's true). Blame everyone here if you need. I blame Michael at U2 Guitar Tutorials (what is this magic black box of Edge goodness he wields?) I bought and eBay'd my way to the AXEII /RCF-NX10-SMA through a long list of other equipment. I haven't been playing that long and I know that great tone comes as much from great fingers as anything, but man nothing I've owed previously has inspired me to play more than the tone even my relatively inexperienced hands can get out of this set-up. Now I'm just enjoying learning/playing and thinking about new guitars....the rest is in the box.

Last edited:
The best reason I can think of for buying the Axe-Fx is that it will save you money in the long run, and you'll be able to focus on playing rather than gear-lust (at least that's my experience thus far). I have sold over 50 pedals and three nice amps (Boogie, Carr, Dr. Z) because the Axe-Fx does everything I need. I still have a couple dozen pedals, but that's only because I haven't had time to put them on eBay yet.

Jump in. The water's fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom