I will not be buying the Axe II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleh. More complaining.

I thought folks had somewhat of a leg to stand on when they were complaining about how difficult it was to purchase an AxeII from the Yahoo store. I understood why it was the way it was and rolled with it, but it was certainly an imperfect system and in my head I gave folks some slack for the complaining they did over it.

So many people were clamoring over and over again for a waitlist. So what does Cliff do? He institutes a wait list like SO MANY people were nearly demanding. And then what happens? It just brings out more complaining.

It's been said many times, but it's been wholly confirmed for me at this point. No matter what Fractal does they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I wish some of the people who were clamoring for a wait list would be a little more vocal about how they're pleased Cliff is listening to their requests (or sometimes demands).

But mostly, I just wish people would stop complaining. It doesn't get any of us anywhere.

mworkman,
It was their own decision, but a decision supported by the price at which they were told the unit would be available at. I also am sure to have read a post by Cliff himself saying that there would be enough units, although I can't dig it up.
What you're saying doesn't make sense to me, because the price of the new unit was a BIG factor in most people deciding to sell-off their units.

To DC23-
My question is - if the objective was simply to prevent people from line-jumping - why not just take waitlist orders until the waitlist is satisfied? Why even advertise and provide the possibility to buy at $400. There is no line-jumping here if you are opening up a new counter yourself.

I really hate for my first post after years of lurking to be here in a thread such as this, but hey--gotta start somewhere! :)

I will firstly state that equating this to price gouging is beyond ridiculous, but my real reason for response is that the price was never raised. Think back, and look back at the Ultra and the MFC on the store as well. I know the brightly colored orange price tag is what gets your attention, but there is other information on the page. The MSRP for the II was always $2600, the "sale price" was $2200, which the coupon returns us to. Even if this wasn't the case, I can't imagine making a big deal or a boycott over the situation, but luckily it is the case.

Sales off unless you take advantage of the wait list, MSRP remains the same as it ever was. Move along. :)

Brett

Last edited:
Damned if you do damned if you don't!!! This is another perfect example of no matter what fractal does someone behind a keyboard decides to whine...
I hate it when grownups whine...don't you!

Don't like it, move on, buy something else, please stop the complaining...

Make a complaint directly to someone who actually has an influence on implementing a solution that you think is right, pick up the phone and call fractal.

Last edited:
I don't get the complaining here, really I don't get it at all.

There are only a handful being produced a day. Tons of people were complaining about having to sit and watch the store for countless hours everyday and it got to the point that there were BOTS designed just to get in there.

This solves two problems, the "not being in the know" because as soon as you send an email you know when you are going to be getting yours and the "missing out because you don't know when he put them up on the site".

Two birds, one stone.

Now if you want to sit there all day and play the F5 button game, knock yourself out, but it's going to cost you a $400 premium to jump in front of everyone else. There is absolutely no reason to do this if you actually intend to buy one, just get in line and wait your turn like everyone else.

Where is the problem?

I will say that it tends to be the same people complaining over and over again regardless of what it is though.

Switching to another sales strategy AFTER a product has become available for sale, indicates that the management has concluded that the prior method wasn't the right one.

This switch can be seen in a number of ways. People get irritated. But, have you never made a decision that, looking back, wasn't the perfect one? Better to reconsider and make a new and better decision, than hold on to the prior one. This is something else than accusing the company from fraud, scam etc. That's uncalled for, so stop crying and buy from another company if you feel that way.

Let's just agree that the waiting list is a better way to deal with this, IF the waiting won't be as long as with the MFC.

Having said this, personally I'd welcome and applaud a statement by Fractal, in order to regain trust with some of its user base, but I don't expect it'll happen.

I will say that it tends to be the same people complaining over and over again regardless of what it is though.

Exactly..this is good to remember, 99% of people are happy enough and silent, the other 1% will be gone when this has all blown over and we can start getting back to sharing, helping and respecting each other..I hope!! :)

mworkman,
It was their own decision, but a decision supported by the price at which they were told the unit would be available at. I also am sure to have read a post by Cliff himself saying that there would be enough units, although I can't dig it up.
What you're saying doesn't make sense to me, because the price of the new unit was a BIG factor in most people deciding to sell-off their units.

The price that was their basis for their decision is still available. To get that price they simply get on a waiting list.

So, this isn't really a waiting list for a II as much as a waiting list to get a coupon to deduct it back to the original price.....??
i.e. if they continue to sell at the increased price on the Yahoo store, they still aren't available to ones on the list?

Switching to another sales strategy AFTER a product has become available for sale, indicates that the management has concluded that the prior method wasn't the right one.

You could spin that another way. One could argue there is no right or wrong approach since I think most of us might agree that regardless of the method chosen some group would be unhappy. So the other way to say this is that after having chosen one method of sales, management listened to the customer base and concluded that most of the customers would have prefered the waitlist approach that has been used previously and made a change to accomodate their customer base.

I can only hope Cliff give us an estimate as to when he'll start shipping these waiting list Axes.

This switch can be seen in a number of ways. People get irritated. But, have you never made a decision that, looking back, wasn't the perfect one? Better to reconsider and make a new and better decision, than hold on to the prior one. This is something else than accusing the company from fraud, scam etc. That's uncalled for, so stop crying and buy from another company if you feel that way.

Let's just agree that the waiting list is a better way to deal with this, IF the waiting won't be as long as with the MFC.

Having said this, personally I'd welcome and applaud a statement by Fractal, in order to regain trust with some of its user base, but I don't expect it'll happen.

Alexander ...,

You are usually right on the button. But the only thing I'd add to this situation is ....

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it !

When Fractal rolled-out the MFC-101 I got on the wait list ( and was in the top 50 ) on 2/7/2009 .... I finally received my o.k. to purchase and use my $ 100 off coupon on 4/20/2011 ( 802 days later ) ....

thepacifist20130, your complaints have merit, but really only in a more utopian world. The reality is that because Fractal is such a small company, there are bound to be problems somewhere. I am just happy that the problems are not with the product itself. The product is stellar, and the after-support is stellar. If the sales end is a bit rocky, well that's something with which I can live.

As a comparison: I am having a guitar built by one of the best luthiers in the world. He and I began discussions five years ago. We selected the wood, and I gave him a $2500 deposit two years ago this month. I still don't know when it might be done. But it's okay, because he's one of the best, and if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. Waiting a few weeks for the AxeFX II will be a stroll in the park.

As a comparison: I am having a guitar built by one of the best luthiers in the world. He and I began discussions five years ago. We selected the wood, and I gave him a $2500 deposit two years ago this month. I still don't know when it might be done. But it's okay, because he's one of the best, and if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes. Waiting a few weeks for the AxeFX II will be a stroll in the park.

I appreciate your story. I think Fractal is getting evaluated in a bubble when compared to others in the music equipment industry maybe they are not as bad as they might seem reading some of the posts here.

Alexander ...,

You are usually right on the button. But the only thing I'd add to this situation is ....

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it !

When Fractal rolled-out the MFC-101 I got on the wait list ( and was in the top 50 ) on 2/7/2009 .... I finally received my o.k. to purchase and use my $ 100 off coupon on 4/20/2011 ( 802 days later ) ....

Which is probably why there wasn't a waiting list to begin with. I can't say that I can blame him for trying to avoid it this go around, but the circumstances apparently forced him to go back to something that he knows works regardless of popularity.

And unlike the MFC101 which hadn't been produced when the waiting list was first made, these are in production right now as we speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom