I see a lot of Suhr talk around here. What about McNaught's?

jerotas

Experienced
I was under the impression 2 years ago after tons of research that McNaught guitars are considered better or at the very least on par with Suhr guitars. However I never see anyone mention they want to buy or already have a McNaught. And I see tons of talk about Suhr guitars...what gives? It is that Suhr's are slightly cheaper (don't know if this is true or not)?

I did take delivery of a totally custom McNaught Phoenix Rising about 18 months ago and it's a "god guitar" if you know what I mean. I have never played a Suhr unfortunately. But this thing is the best playing, best looking, best sounding guitar I've ever played by SEVERAL miles. And I've owned a lot of guitars.

Open for discussion. If I ever buy another guitar, I would like to try a Suhr.

Re: I see a lot of Suhr talk around here. What about McNaugh

It looks like he builds a nice guitar and has some big name artists but I think in this case it's a who's been around longer. I have owned a Suhr guitar and have toured Johns shop and he builds some very nice guitars. There are a lot of builders out there that can put together a really good guitar but very few builders make it to the status of a "very well known" high end builders like Suhr, Anderson or PRS etc. In time he may get there.

Yeah maybe. But McNaught only makes 3-8 guitars a month (staff of 2 people) so I think it will probably stay as is. That only makes my guitar more insanely rare and hard to come by - that's not a bad thing. It's only a bummer that most people have never heard of my brand considering how awesome it is. After I throw the McNaught name out, I always have to follow it up with "like a PRS, only still handmade" haha. Otherwise I just get blank stares.

Suhr is growing so fast that soon they'll be just like PRS which is good IMO. McNaught's is something I've never heard of so I think it's a smaller company which is fine but there are maaaaaany small firms like that in the world. My friend works in one of those companies in my hometown and the firm is called Amfisound: http://www.amfisound.fi/ and I live in friggin' Finland. In Bri'n' (great britain) there are dozens of small companies like that right. In the US probably hundreds of those. So... the "I've got something rare" is getting closer and closer to not being so rare if everyone's got a custom guitar from a small company. I think I've got something really rare since I got a vintage PRS with a thinner neck and lighter weight than any other PRS I've ever played. It's bolt-on and at the time those weren't even named like today so all I have is a serial number which tells me it's something that became the CE-series later on. Anyways it's got a reeeeally amazing sound and back in the day wood quality was much much better and that's why vintage Gibson LP's sound the way they do etc. Nowadays you can't find wood that's A-grade since they're cutting it down as soon as possible to make better benefit.

I'm not sure what my message was but I guess it was that if you can find an old guitar that's specs fit your needs. Then you have a keeper. :)

Clark Kent said:
Suhr is growing so fast that soon they'll be just like PRS which is good IMO. McNaught's is something I've never heard of so I think it's a smaller company which is fine but there are maaaaaany small firms like that in the world. My friend works in one of those companies in my hometown and the firm is called Amfisound: http://www.amfisound.fi/ and I live in friggin' Finland. In Bri'n' (great britain) there are dozens of small companies like that right. In the US probably hundreds of those. So... the "I've got something rare" is getting closer and closer to not being so rare if everyone's got a custom guitar from a small company. I think I've got something really rare since I got a vintage PRS with a thinner neck and lighter weight than any other PRS I've ever played. It's bolt-on and at the time those weren't even named like today so all I have is a serial number which tells me it's something that became the CE-series later on. Anyways it's got a reeeeally amazing sound and back in the day wood quality was much much better and that's why vintage Gibson LP's sound the way they do etc. Nowadays you can't find wood that's A-grade since they're cutting it down as soon as possible to make better benefit.

I'm not sure what my message was but I guess it was that if you can find an old guitar that's specs fit your needs. Then you have a keeper. :)

Cool, yeah I'd say that since McNaught has 2 workers total it's a smaller company lol. I know there tons of companies like that out there. But reading the reviews of them in many many various places most people were saying that McNaughts were better than most or all of the other big boutique names you guys mentioned. Which really just brings me back to the original question haha.

Market saturation..

Your best advertisement is word of mouth and I don't see McNaught ads anywhere really (I don't look FWIW)

I own an Anderson because I played on 8 years ago in a shop and fell in love.. I'd like to try a Suhr because I've heard so much about them being on par with Anderson but of a slightly different flavor. You just don't see the name McNaught thrown around all that often so really I just think its a combination of the fact they're a small operation (8 guitars a month is tiny but their QC i'm sure is second to none) and there just simply isn't enough guys spouting off at the mouth about how awesome they are.

Never heard of them but will look them up as I am always on the look out for the next geetar.

I have a Suhr...and a JS1200 and a 77 Les Paul Deluxe and a JEM and the Suhr is my go to guitar on any given day. All of my guitars sound and play great but the Suhr is just ... special. Better sustain, better feel, more dynamic, etc.

My current next guitar that I have my eye on is a Parker!

You've missed my signature I guess?

Back
Top Bottom