I need a little help

I need some help if the title didn't suggest it enough... Haha.

I need help getting super high gain that's got clarity. Anytime I dial in a high gain patch it seems a bit to hectic. Not harsh I'd say but almost muffled in a sense. I'm looking for a sound like in the link I'm putting in.

BTBAM Dustie Waring testing his new Port City 4x12OS Wave cabinet - YouTube

At 3:35 is the sound I love. Notice at the end of the riffing that when he hits the E Chord, you can hear all the notes very well. Clear and dirty. Just the way I like it. ;D

Funniness aside, any help would be awesome. If it helps I have a port city 2x12 with V30s.

There are a lot of threads about this already and most of the time it is hard to say how its going to turn out when you are using poweramp/guitar-cab as amplification.
As far as I can tell (I don't use that myself..) they are very different from cab to cab, speaker to speaker, poweramp to poweramp.

What poweramp do you use?

Jens

Right now I have a QSC GX3 SS power amp. I'm considering going ahead and getting a tube power amp but i don't know if it'll be worth it.

Maybe check some of the threads from people using the matrix amps with guitar cabs that would be very simple. There's a video on the matrix website made by paulmapp from this forum that explains some stuff?

Jens

Im at work, so cant hear the clip currently. Id also need a copy of your patch to have a play.

Having said that - key parameters on Gen 1 units to look at are damp - raising it will reduce compression and give better string definition. Too much will make high notes too harsh though. Next on the advanced page, you could look at the B+ partameter. Lowering it (iir) will increase note definition as well by giving the notes a quicker attack. I may have that the wrong way round now, as I dont have my notes at work - so try raising it if lowering doesnt help. You can also look at the valve bias. Lowing it slightly gives a similar result to biasing valves cold on a real amp - and may help your situation as well.

Back
Top Bottom