I might need my head examined. Just ordered an Axe-Fx III Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to order a Mk II and sell my original Axe FX III after it comes in. I want the extra storage and stuff.

It's threads like this that get me in trouble with my wife, lol. I'd love to do the upgrade to get more preset slots, but money's kinda tight right now, and there are no gigs on the horizon to justify the expense. Plus, I'm bad about telling myself I'll sell off the old model to help pay for the new model and then not doing it. That's why I still have my AFX II Mk2 and XL+ that have sat unused since I got the III. :)
Heck man, you've got it made! Sell the two II's, buy the MK II, buy the wife something nice with the left over and BOOM......win win! :)

You don't need to keep all your presets on the unit. How many do you actually use??? The other differences are practically irrelevant. I can't understand anyone swapping a 3 for a mark 2. I can't even really understand the distinction, its more like a minor revision that manufactures make all the time to products without a mention.

You don't need to keep all your presets on the unit. How many do you actually use??? The other differences are practically irrelevant. I can't understand anyone swapping a 3 for a mark 2. I can't even really understand the distinction, its more like a minor revision that manufactures make all the time to products without a mention.
Please don’t tell me what I need. I’m more than capable of discerning it all by my little lonesome.

Just because you can’t see the value of have more presets available to use does mean that it doesn’t exist. I don’t like having to swap presets in and out.

What makes you think I was talking to you?
"You" in this case is anybody, and again nobody needs that many preset spaces. If the Edge can do a gig with less than 50 with his FX use nobody "needs" more . Yes obviously you can want more and buy more but you don't "need" more. The only people who I see claim to NEED more seem not to be able to program their own or decern through 200 near identical Marshall tones in the packs they buy that usually sound like ass.

What makes you think I was talking to you?
"You" in this case is anybody, and again nobody needs that many preset spaces. If the Edge can do a gig with less than 50 with his FX use nobody "needs" more . Yes obviously you can want more and buy more but you don't "need" more. The only people who I see claim to NEED more seem not to be able to program their own or decern through 200 near identical Marshall tones in the packs they buy that usually sound like ass.

I started the thread. It sure feels like you’re talking to me.

What makes you the arbiter of what people should need? Why the attitude?

Want and need are inextricably tied together. What you want determines what you need to fill that desire. It’s best not to assume everyone thinks like you do, as your reasoning only works if your answer is the only one possible. It’s 2021. Open your mind.

I’ve had every new version of the Axe Fx since the Ultra... but with just a handful of gigs in 2020 I haven’t been able to fund any new ones since the Axe Fx III first came out. Fortunately, it still fills my want/need list just fine so, maybe, 2021 will bring the gigs and opportunities to keep the string alive!

I think it came out wrong and I'm sorry about that. What I am trying to say is look at the difference and decide if you need what the new one offers over the original . I was saying that nobody even gigging pros with the most complex setups couldn't easily do everything they want multiple times over with the original. I still say that if you have used all of your preset space most of the things you have stored are either substandard versions of other patches or stuff you never use. The answer to if your house is too full of stuff to move is almost never buy a bigger house, particularly as the house in this case was already huge.

I still say that if you have used all of your preset space most of the things you have stored are either substandard versions of other patches or stuff you never use.

"Substandard"? How do you know what is standard, good, great, or useful for another person? If a person collects stamps or guitars or guns, there may be ones they never "use" but still want and even cherish. (I am not a collector but I understand the sentiment.) Some patches I rarely use, but I still scroll through all the presets occasionally, sometimes at random for inspiration or fun, for example Simeon's patches. I also like being surprised, like "oh, that sounds awesome, I forgot about that."

Yes, we are spoiled to a degree. Do we NEED a MKII? Did we NEED the MKI or any other iteration after the original? Do we need an Axe as opposed to a POD ... ?

The answer to if your house is too full of stuff to move is almost never buy a bigger house, particularly as the house in this case was already huge.

Yet that's exactly what some people do, like it or not. I might not do that myself, in fact about 5 years ago I sold almost everything and don't even have a home right now, but I am considering the MKII.

A better analogy might be: "We have 4 kids with twins on the way, we want/need a bigger car!"
Or: "I love my man-cave studio but I can't walk around w/o knocking over a guitar. I want/need a bigger room!"

Yes, these are first-world concerns. We are lucky to be in this position to even consider upgrading. :grinning:

Last edited:
For me, it is as much about the improved display quality with better viewing angle and the ability to dim the logo and change its color to reddish-orange so it doesn't destroy low-light sight as the extra storage being available to store presets as I see fit without having to shuffle them on and off the unit. All will be appreciated when I eventually make the upgrade happen....

I've just done the same. Was looking at the FM3 but everyone kept pushing the MKII so boom, that's what happened!!

We'll be in the journey together 😁

Personally, and this is just me, I see no real benefit to the updated screen or the ability to change the color of the logo. While I can appreciate more preset space, it's not worth what I'd have to pay to upgrade.

That's what's kinda cool. There are options, all of which are opt-in or opt-out, from the original Axe to the latest/greatest.

I also appreciate that there is an active market/desire for older models which might be "right sized" for that person.

I really don't need one. I don't even use the number of presets that I have on a regular basis, and the processing power is the same. Nevertheless, like the fruit in the garden, I am tempted.... :weary: lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom