I Loved It Loud

I have no idea how popular Richie Kotzen is around these parts, but he's pretty great IMHO and as of 2007 has AFAIK eschewed the use of picks, if you're interested, here's a good demonstration.

Kotzen is a timeless classic. Brings back lots of great memories, Mothershead Family Reunion is my def favorite era but in Ritchies case the entire compendium is great. Those pipes AND those chops...true powerhouse talent.

He recently did a thing with Ade Smith from Maiden, Smith/Kotzen, its outstanding if you're a fan of either or both. "Scars" is a great cut from the album, the whole album has been in rotation here since it was released.

All about gain, in real amps I have tweaked resistors and gain etc to change voicing. I have had good luck keeping bias slightly lower rather than higher for to my ears better gain. I have not tried these advanced settings in the fx3 and wonder how close they function to real world adjustment. Are the close?

Honestly, I don't tweak a lot of advanced settings, I usually just switch to another amp. But, there are enough parameters there to tweak that it's satisfied any desire I've had. I've modded and built amps IRL, too, and while you can't make drastic circuit changes in the FX3, you can do things that are difficult (transformer specs) to impossible IRL. Tube changes, bias changes, tone stacks, etc., all react very close to what I would expect in the real world.

Edit: Actually, what I said about drastic changes isn't entirely true. I was thinking more like designing a circuit from the ground up, but there are many things you can do in the FX3 that are pretty drastic changes to the original circuit.

Last edited:
I've gone down the same road. I play with less gain nowadays and appreciate the grain and details of the low and mid drive amps. That also got me finger picking more as well.
Likewise.

I also removed any treble bleed circuits still installed snd wired the tone controls in all of my guitars to Gibson '50s wiring. Between the change in dynamics, the softer transient in string attack, the increased versatility of, and interactivity between, the volume and tone controls while maintaining the tonal balance of the output signal (no loss of high, mid, or low frequencies across the entire sweep of the volume pot) and the AxeFX III's very familiar response to such input, the guitar and hands feel like a remote control for the amp block. So versatile!

It doesn't take much gain to make the most of these factors. Add a boost for lead and it seems to cover everything I play these days.
😎👍

Back
Top Bottom