I LOVE my Axe FX Ultra!!!

farrakon

Inspired
Just acquired an Ultra from LMO and it is in perfect condition. Bought a 4 space rack case with no lids but just cost me 20 bucks. Covered the metal parts with electrical tape and used double washers before the screws so they would not damage the axe. In the 4 space rack I have the Axe and a Peavey 50 50 Classic Power Amp. To control the Axe I have a Behringer FCB1010 with the UNO chip.... All of this = FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I have the FCB set up so that the upper row acts as stomp boxes and the lower as patch selectors. I deleted everything in BANK A since Ive never been a preset user. I took patch spaces 001 to 003 and created three channels just like an amp (clean, crunch and lead). I used the same patch for the three spaces but changed the Amp model in each. The patch has the following signal chain: Input, Drive, Wah, Flanger, Amp, EQ (for volume boost), Delay, Reverb, Volume (for decreasing).

The fcb controls as such: S6=drive, S7=Flanger, S8=EQ, S9=Delay, S10=Reverb
Expression A=Wah (bypassed from 0 to 2, active from 3 to 127)
Expression B=Volume (from no volume to full volume)
All these the same for patch buttons from P1 to P3 in bank 1 of the FCB.

For my Clean channel Im using FAS clean and for the Lean I use PVH 5150. For the crunch Ill use any mid gain amp.

I compared the Lead channel with the 5105 model to my modded 5150 II and it sounds equally as brootal!!!

Just wanted to share this :D

indeed! I have always been afraid of using amp models and such due to my extensive reading... but it just SOUNDS NOTHING DIGITAL, its not your crappy fuzzy nondynamic sound of your tipical pod... This is defenetly NOT a toy. AND im having a hard time wanting to keep my modded 5150 II...I think I want to sell it... Ill have to play live with the Axe and see if it really works on stage... I need motivational help on this decision .. lol!

Word! I love mine too.

I use an SLA-2 and a MFC-5 to switch channels. I can only do 3 channels at a time and I dont have instant on/off effects but that's fine.

I havent yet had a chance to use the Axe through a Tube poweramp...but I cant wait to do so.

I usually go direct to FOH and into a cab at the sametime and it sounds GLORIOUS!

AND im having a hard time wanting to keep my modded 5150 II...I think I want to sell it... Ill have to play live with the Axe and see if it really works on stage... I need motivational help on this decision
If you just knew how many of us here are in the same situation: I have two amps (a solid and a tube) and keep them and I don't know why. The last time I used them was more than a month ago. It seems pointless to have them just for reference purposes but, somehow, I feel better when I got them in my studio--sitting there and collecting dust (just a figure of speech, the studio isn't dusty at all!).

Glad to see you have a winner combination... though I would rethink the Peavey under the Axe. It will thermal the Axe after playing for a wile. I know this from experience, I had the same power amp and had it happen to me at a gig. Ether get a 6 space or two separate 2 space rack cases and you will be safe.

Thanks for the tip! Im actually gonna experiment with ss power amps. Does anyone know if there is a poweramp that will literarilly only amplify the signal from the axe with out doing what a tipical tube or guitar ss powerr amp will do?. I want to ru. The power amp sims through a guitar cab.

Back
Top Bottom