I just wish Axe Edit would display actual controls for Amp Block

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I've seen a couple of Amp Simulators for iPhone just recently and one thing that stood out to me is the simplicity of the controls for dialing in your tone.

The only controls they had were the ones on the actual amp being simulated. I wish there was a tab in Axe Edit where you could pull up those controls and those only for each amp. I have not had much experience with many amps and I don't know which ones are Non MV etc and I just feel lost trying to get an authentic (and basic) tone when there are more controls than the actual amp has. I would love to just see what is on the actual amp only.

I understand one of the appeals of the Axe Fx is the deep control of parameters for tone creation which is fine for those who want that but i'd like just to use only what is on the actual amp. Not knowing what is on the actual amp means that I am tweaking parameters that the real amp doesn't even have. I find this very frustrating.

To start with just stay on the first page and I believe if the default setting for Master is set all the way up then it is a non master type and all the way up is the equivalent of a shunt thus removing it from the circuit and simulating the non master effect.

That doesn't cover everything obviously but it might help while you become familiar with the different amps.

So AxeWiki lists what all of the models are based on. Would it be that hard to Google a picture of the amp in question and just look at what knobs it has?

So AxeWiki lists what all of the models are based on. Would it be that hard to Google a picture of the amp in question and just look at what knobs it has?

Well I have just done that but I am in the process of going through a bunch of amps = pain in the arse. It would be easy if there were the option to have only original settings displayed.

Ah, yeah I could see that being a pain when going through many of the models.

until there's a viable ITB solution, maybe draw up a cheat sheet?

Ah, yeah I could see that being a pain when going through many of the models.

until there's a viable ITB solution, maybe draw up a cheat sheet?

I'd like just a picture or render of the amp, I'm not even bothered about the controls. Just incorporate the info in the wiki into Axe Edit.

Trying to remember 100+ amp aliases is impossible.

I have a folder with them printed out but it's a bit of a faff thumbing through that every time.

^ I did the same thing and eventually just stopped caring what the "real" controls were.
My thinking was something along the lines of "why take a tool out of the toolbox just because another toolbox doesn't have the same tool?"

i might win a prize for this being the 1,000,000th time this has been said on these forums, but....use your ears, not your eyes. If it sounds good to you and works for what you need, that is all that matters, period. The Axe usually defaults to the right settings anyway....usually...

Just use the main tap of controls and that is really all you need. Who cares if an amp did or didn't have a MV you can match to a photo. Sounds like a lot of work to remember, instead just use your ears.

Remember as well that most people WANTED to have things like a MV on many amps that didn't have them at the time. My old Fender Bassman for example, I paid someone to add a MV. Would of probably paid for a mids knob too if it was offered

With the Axe you can just leave the controls at default for the natural amp, or take advantage of the extra controls offered. Its the best of both worlds

I'd like just a picture or render of the amp, I'm not even bothered about the controls. Just incorporate the info in the wiki into Axe Edit.

Trying to remember 100+ amp aliases is impossible.

This is what suggested awhile ago. I can imagine a small tab in the Amp block. When you click on the tab it brings up a popup table that displays the info in the wiki including some prominent users, tips and suggested cabs.

i might win a prize for this being the 1,000,000th time this has been said on these forums, but....use your ears, not your eyes. If it sounds good to you and works for what you need, that is all that matters, period. The Axe usually defaults to the right settings anyway....usually...
+1. If you want to keep it simple: Stick to page 1 and just use the controls 90% of all amps have: Gain,BMT,Presence,MV and follow the ears advice above.

Really who cares what the "real" amp has since that is not what you are using and you are dialing tones for your own use trying to get a particular sound? Why get hung up on the controls the physical amp has if that is not what you are going to be playing?

Don't get me wrong, if you are deep diving a particular amp, etc, cool, that can be fun, but in that case use the wiki and really study that one setup. Seems like so many people get caught in this weird trap with modelers where they can't mentally decouple from comparison to the thing it is modeled on. It's sort of a shame really. Think of it as a 188 channel preamp rather than a box with miniature versions of a zillion little amps in it.

I'd love a skinned AE for the fun factor, sure, but really it'd be eye candy at the end of the day and I certainly wouldn't trade in the flexibility of deep editing for it. :)

This is what suggested awhile ago. I can imagine a small tab in the Amp block. When you click on the tab it brings up a popup table that displays the info in the wiki including some prominent users, tips and suggested cabs.
Now THIS is a great idea wrt the wiki. There is so much awesome info there; an instantaneous cross reference in AE would be so cool.

Two of the best resources here are Cliff's Notes and YouTube vids by Scott Peterson. I came into the Fractal fold about a year ago and remember being ovewhelmed with all the options compared to the 11Rack I had been using. Keep it simple and enjoy the TONE!

I hate when I go to hear a band and the guitarist is obviously using the presence knob on an amp that doesn't actually have one. Ruins the song!

Really who cares what the "real" amp has since that is not what you are using and you are dialing tones for your own use trying to get a particular sound? Why get hung up on the controls the physical amp has if that is not what you are going to be playing?

I care! Because I am trying to nail some classic type tones and if I am changing parameters that are not on the amp and it's not sounding good then I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I only ever tweak the basic parameters anyway and never any of the other deeper parameters but still I am getting frustrated. I am trying to keep it REALLY simple and it would be better and simpler if Axe Edit could also display only the actual parameters. Presence control is a good example of that. Not all amps have it.

And yes I am using my ears! And if they are telling me something is not right and I am trying to find out why it becomes confusing when there are parameters that don't exist on the amp.

Now THIS is a great idea wrt the wiki. There is so much awesome info there; an instantaneous cross reference in AE would be so cool.

I know having wiki info incorporated into Axe Edit would be fantastic.

It would be better and simpler if Axe Edit could also display only the actual parameters.
Seems too much programming overhead to me.
"It would be better" if the controls remained visible but received a mark, then who wants to use them still can without having to go to some global preference overhead code.

I know having wiki info incorporated into Axe Edit would be fantastic.
It would not be bad :)
OTOH, it would not be the first time the wiki changed urls, or pages get changed.
So yet another thing where someone has to be right on it all the time, while time is already scarce for cooler stuff.
I mean, you can do this kind of thing for yourself kind of (get organised). But you cannot program new functionality into AE.
It may also be a lot of work to add f.i. right-click menus to all controls.

A very cool way to "organize yourself" could be a macro program.
I use the free PowerPro for example.

With Power Pro you can make a flyout menu (like when you touch the left of the screen) that displays all subjects you need and on clicking could surf straight to them (or even do a google search on them while holding down another key, etc.). It's just how you program it.

However, it's not a simple thing to get into... :mrgreen
I have most of that ready though, just need to look into the code to surf to a link.

Not saying that will happen. I don't need this.
Just an example how to organize yourself very cool and efficiently.

You can also put folders on your bookmarks toolbar (some ppl don't know this). In Firefox at least.
A simple click opens it up and you can put links to all subjects there.

Seems too much programming overhead to me.
"It would be better" if the controls remained visible but received a mark, then who wants to use them still can without having to go to some global preference overhead code.

I agree. If the actual controls simply had a marker or something to denote them as being actual controls in Axe Edit that would be fine. Then you could tell which parameters do not apply to the real world amp.

Because I am trying to nail some classic type tones and if I am changing parameters that are not on the amp and it's not sounding good then I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

just my personal opinion, i highly doubt that it's the "extra" parameters that would make it not sound good. it might be that amp in general that won't work for what you want.

this request has come up over and over again though.

question. let's just say that the amps showed only the real controls available: what if it then didn't sound good no matter what you do. wouldn't you use a control that isn't on the amp if it helped?

just my personal opinion, i highly doubt that it's the "extra" parameters that would make it not sound good. it might be that amp in general that won't work for what you want.

this request has come up over and over again though.

question. let's just say that the amps showed only the real controls available: what if it then didn't sound good no matter what you do. wouldn't you use a control that isn't on the amp if it helped?

No, It would be obvious that it was the amp and not my tweaking. It would actually aid in the process of elimination. I could then be confident that the amp was not what I was after and I could try something else rather than thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom