I just found heavenly tone with FRFR AND a traditional guitar cab!!

Have you tried routing it the correct way yet? Out 1 > FRFR, Out 2 > NL12, with FXL inserted before the Cab block.

Yes I have and both ways sound phenomenal; however, I did notice that the Out 2 setup sounds better because that slight hollow sound is gone from the NL12 side. Unfortunately, the effects don't go into both sides (since FXL block is before effects) but I'm working on that.

One point I want to make is that the NL12 does sound ok whether or not the cab sims are on or off. As many have mentioned though, the louder you go the more you want the cab sims off because the cab starts to shake, etc. and sound more like a guitar cab.

I'm still not sure why I was able to hear a better, more separated sound when I put the FX Loop Block between the AMP and CAB blocks with only the Output 1 XLR right and left being used. The OUTPUT 2 knob did not work of course, but I had the I/O settings as "stereo" and the matrix setup in "stereo" and still getting a great, defined sound.

Regardless, it sounds great and stereo rules. :)

Put your Cab block last and FXL second last.

Yeah I've run FRFR and my 2x12 at once and it sounded pretty cool. But at the same time, I imagine I could be just as happy running two guitar cabs. Or a twin FRFR set up. I don't think it's so much a mix of cab and FRFR thing or anything, more just putting two different sounds together to make one great noise. I used to do the same thing with a 1960A and an ENGL vert 2x12 back in the pre-Axe days. Two rather different sounding cabs, and the ENGL basically sat nicely where there was a gaping hole in the 1960As sound. Only at home though... I wasn't about to lug around two cabs.

I've been doing this for a couple years. I love both FRFR and a traditional cab on stage. Feeds my old school mentality of feeling the air move with the benefit of hearing the finished FOH sound via FRFR. Also adds another option if the cab is mic'd and mixed with the FRFR feed.

yes,
offtopic, but mind me asking (before I purchase):
in your setup is it possible to use the second OUT2 to go into an external looper in (and connect the looper out into IN2) =

Back
Top Bottom