I interviewed Scott Peterson

slowpuncher

A little while ago, I started a website with a friend. We used to play in bands together, but now I live in Chicago and he lives in Germany. So we developed this website so that we could still collaborate on songs together. It is a very simple web based DAW and some community tools, so that you could write and record ideas with a singer from New Zealand for example. We figured that if we could use it, some other people somewhere in the world might like to do the same. It is completely free. We just think it is a good idea, and want to make it available. The hardest part is keeping spammers away. :)

Anyways, I have been doing some interviews and publishing them to the site as I think it is interesting and fun. Our very own moderator and owner of The Gear Page Scott Peterson is the latest interviewee. You can check it out here: The TF Interview :: Scott Peterson | Trackfight

If you are interested in our site, you can sign up here: Trackfight | Crowd Recording

Again, it is free and we promise to never harass you!

cheers,
Slowpuncher

I've always felt respect towards Scott. I don't know him on a person level but seeing how well he kept his composure after another member of the forum was bit upset was short of amazing.

Thanks to both Jakobscortum & Rotti for registering. I suggest the simplest thing to do is join one of the public projects and add some music just so you can see how it works. Then you can start your own projects and invite people to join in. What I have found is that you record a piece of music that you hear a certain way in your head and then someone else comes in and it can change entirely. It is fun and can really generate cool ideas.

The DAW is not meant to make finished products...it is really only there is capture ideas and let people collaborate.

I will need to look into it more (really spent about 5min on the site just to register before I had to head to the office, so it might be much more simple than I'm thinking), but my biggest fear with something like this is that I'll go into someone's project not knowing how to run the site's DAW and royally F'up someone's material (i.e., accidentally delete that 1-in-a-million take someone spent hours laying down).

Is there a how-to section?

Yeah, we have a "how it works" page: How it works | Trackfight

You can either record directly into the interface or you can upload tracks from your own DAW into the interface. it works both ways. Within the interface you can do some simple editing, adjust levels, mute, that sort of thing; but no other advanced featured, just real simple stuff.

And don't worry about screwing up something. :) You could delete someone's tracks by accident, but it is not simple and would require a couple of mouse clicks before you got to that point. If you go into the "Official Trackfight Demo Group" you can do whatever in there to get your feet wet without worry!

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom