I have a Tube Preamp, where should I put it?

I remember Steve Fryette on YT demo'ing his 'Valvulator 1' (discontinued now I think and replaced with the Valvulator GPI/DI which is a different beast) as a buffered tube input into some modellers.

If I remember correctly (not a given by any means!) it was designed really to restore the signal of any degradation caused by a chain of FX pedals that were in front of an amp but in the case of using it with a modeller (guitar - valvulator - instrument in) it was claimed to give back the 'feel' of using the input of a normal tube amp and carried it through the A/D process.

If you use a tube preamp I'd say it would be maybe better used into the rear input rather than the 'secret sauced' front input?

Nothing to stop you trying both input types though.

I think the Axe-FX is pretty much good enough on it's own for me ..... but there's nothing wrong with a little experimentation either.

I remember Steve Fryette on YT demo'ing his 'Valvulator 1' (discontinued now I think and replaced with the Valvulator GPI/DI which is a different beast) as a buffered tube input into some modellers.

I remember a few players doing stuff like this in the past, but I agree that it's not necessary or even (arguably) beneficial at this point. The Axe FX has come a long way in how it emulates the feel or response and sound of a tube amp. I find it better than the real thing for some amps.

Mic pres are usually a necessity in the studio. Hell, even if you're a bedroom warrior and using the XLR output of the Axe-Fx, then you're using a mic pre that is built into your audio interface. Mic pres are sometimes used for a specific color they add to the signal. Slate makes some models in their VMR that @Guitarjon uses on all of his recorded guitar tracks. So, if the OP wants to use one and likes the results, there is absolutely nothing wrong or redundant with that.

Use that mic pre with a Neumann U87 for vocals, acoustic instruments, whatever.
The Axe FX really only needs an inspired performance. If one chooses to muck it around later in post production: have at it: but as a matter of course: Recording digitally direct will be the accurate rendering of the FAS modeling without adding the "warmth and color" (aka harmonic saturation and distortion) of the tube pre which may "enhance" some sounds and "muddy" others depending on user perception and preference.

Recording digitally direct will be the accurate rendering of the FAS modeling without adding the "warmth and color" (aka harmonic saturation and distortion) of the tube pre which may "enhance" some sounds and "muddy" others depending on user perception and preference.
Whether you choose to use the preamp simulation in the Cab block, an external preamp or some type of DAW plugin post-production; distorted guitars benefit greatly from saturation. Driving them heavily is also magical. The organic compression and saturation makes guitars sound polished, meaty and more contained sounding. This is a better approach than direct compression and EQing will do.

Whether you choose to use the preamp simulation in the Cab block, an external preamp or some type of DAW plugin post-production; distorted guitars benefit greatly from saturation. Driving them heavily is also magical. The organic compression and saturation makes guitars sound polished, meaty and more contained sounding. This is a better approach than direct compression and EQing will do.

Yup. I'm after getting it ALL from the FAS modeling from the get go: so it can be 100% in the performance, and translate without outboard systems that don't add to what can be done internally: The musician's hat vs the engineer's hat.

Yup. I'm after getting it ALL from the FAS modeling from the get go: so it can be 100% in the performance, and translate without outboard systems that don't add to what can be done internally: The musician's hat vs the engineer's hat.
Some people like that approach and it's totally legit. I guess I approach it more so using the "engineer hat". I like the the ability to tweak within the mix, rather than work with something already committed to tape. Reamping, outboard gear and plugins are my playground. ;)

In my case, I have a Alembic F2B preamp (not modelled in Axe Fx 2) and I would like to use the Axe Fx for Hiwatt power amp and cab simulation to mimic how David Gilmour uses his Hiwatts.

Is there really no way to disable preamp simulation only in Axe Fx 2?

Back
Top Bottom