• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

I have a student looking for a practice amp -

gigawatt

Experienced
So far she's looked at the Blackstar ID Core 10 V2 and the Fender Champion 20 and (leaning towards the 20). She'll be playing a Squier Standard Tele through it. Anything else she should look at for under $130?

Mucho thanks :blush:

gigawatt

Experienced
I should have mentioned she's 67 years old and has no tech savvy, she's even a little worried that the above mentioned maybe too much for her. The Fender Mustang V2 has come up as well, I had a Fender Frontman 25 that sounded really good. Bought it at GC for 80 bucks 10 years ago, now they are more than double that, wth?

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

unix-guy

Legend!
I should have mentioned she's 67 years old and has no tech savvy, she's even a little worried that the above mentioned maybe too much for her. The Fender Mustang V2 has come up as well, I had a Fender Frontman 25 that sounded really good. Bought it at GC for 80 bucks 10 years ago, now they are more than double that, wth?

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
Buy something used on Reverb?

mr_fender

Fractal Fanatic
The weak spot in most cheap practice amps is usually the speaker. They typically put the cheapest crap speaker in them with a tiny magnet about 2 inches in diameter. Find a cheap used 1x12 practice combo and spend a few bucks on a decent replacement speaker for it. You will be surprised at the difference it will make. Eminence and Celestion both have good speakers in the sub $100 range. Even less if you find a used one.

gigawatt

Experienced
The weak spot in most cheap practice amps is usually the speaker. They typically put the cheapest crap speaker in them with a tiny magnet about 2 inches in diameter. Find a cheap used 1x12 practice combo and spend a few bucks on a decent replacement speaker for it. You will be surprised at the difference it will make. Eminence and Celestion both have good speakers in the sub $100 range. Even less if you find a used one.
I owned the Fender Frontman 25R for several years and while primitive, no modeling or digital effect just reverb. It was a great sounding amp and VERY LOUD with a 10 inch stock speaker. I bought it for $80 in 2010 and now I'm seeing them used for $200 - $250! Simple no frills 2 channel amp, that I was able to use my old Mesa single button footswitch.

I can't say for certain but I'm going to guess a 10" speaker sounds much better than an 8, and of course an 8 much better than two 5's like in the Black Star. Price being the main deciding point however... I also have a battery powered Peavey Vypyr, 5 watts with an 8" speaker. I took a chance on this one and lost. Hard to say if it's the speaker or the models but it mostly sounds like shit. Maybe it'll sound better once I take it to the beach where the waves can drown it out.

Top Bottom