I hate to be petty, but I have to ask...

The guitar intput on the front of my AXE Ultra is super loose. Loose like a goose !
The guitar cord just pulls out like butter. I have to loop the cord around the Ultra's handles so it stays in place.

This is something I would never send back to fractal to fix. Is there a way I could unbolt it and install a new one myself if they could send me a female input for the front input ? Or is this an internal solder job. Its only 3 months old.

Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem. I tried lots of different cables and on other equipment it is tight.
Hmmm

Joe

Cool. Thanks Vega.
The Ultra sounds so good I can't find anything to complain about so I am taking it out on the input jack !

Do you think if I shake my 1/4 connector up a bit it will get thicker ??? :eek:

There just are a few things people start worrying about when they've got a new Ultra (or Standard). The next thing you may ask is when switching the unit of, the display leaves some funky black things behind...normal as well :D

I actually thought the front jack was deliberately designed to be more loose so that in the event the input cable is yanked on it does not put the whole Axe and / or Axe Rack off of it's stand or whatever.

Totally agree about the lines on the screen after power off !
Oh man... So much NOT to worry about.
I think I need concentrate more on playing and stop looking for flaws.

But, might as well make sure its not a defect and a necessary fix.

My input is loose as well, Normal

I use a right angled lead (pointing up) then use a velcro tie around the handle and fasten it around the plug, that way the handle takes the strain of any cable pull. although my cable is about a foot long going up to my wireless so unlikely

YMMV

IMO this is not normal. You should not have to tie a knot on your cord to make it stay in place. I'd say (except if you're somewhat exaggerating) something is wrong. Mine is just perfect. Not like a guitar input, but nor should it.

danielodland said:
IMO this is not normal. You should not have to tie a knot on your cord to make it stay in place. I'd say (except if you're somewhat exaggerating) something is wrong. Mine is just perfect. Not like a guitar input, but nor should it.
don't think anyone means a "knot"
cableloop.jpg

just a precautionary loop in case the bassist is running around the stage and gets his foot caught in your instrument cable -- instead of killing your guitar sound, he'll trip and fall on his face and the rest of the show can continue on as if nothing had happened
:)

godprobe said:
danielodland said:
don't think anyone means a "knot"
cableloop.jpg

just a precautionary loop in case the bassist is running around the stage and gets his foot caught in your instrument cable -- instead of killing your guitar sound, he'll trip and fall on his face and the rest of the show can continue on as if nothing had happened
:)

Its a trade off. Doing the knot/loop thing can be good and bad. If the bass player really does trip/yank on the cable, the Axe may be projected into the crowd ....
Same goes with the Gibsons that have the locking guitar input jack. Great idea until your running across the stage, run out of cord and you hear the Axe trailing behind you ...
I love my wireless.

I'm just saying, if he HAS to tie it up for it not to come out by itself, something's wrong. Mine isnt like that. I usually have the rig all the way out on the side of the stage (on my side), so I only have to watch out for it myself. But yeah, I'd rather have sound disappear than the AxeFX take a dive.

If I request a replacement, do i have to take the cover off to replace it and solder anything ?

Or can I just unscrew and screw in a new female guitar input at the front?

it may not be normal compared to what we are all used to, but it seems to be normal for the Axe-fx. Planet Waves makes cables and individual connectors that have the plug with a leaf spring design in them and when you plug it into the Axe-fx it is solid. I'm sure there are other manufacturers as well...

I agree that the input feels loose but having said that I have never had a problem with the cable falling out or causing any problems at all.

danielodland said:
I'm just saying, if he HAS to tie it up for it not to come out by itself, something's wrong. Mine isnt like that. I usually have the rig all the way out on the side of the stage (on my side), so I only have to watch out for it myself. But yeah, I'd rather have sound disappear than the AxeFX take a dive.

I agree-if it "really" just falls out something is wrong.
Frank

jlagana2002 said:
If I request a replacement, do i have to take the cover off to replace it and solder anything ?

Or can I just unscrew and screw in a new female guitar input at the front?

I would guess it's not a regular jack. More like the kind Boss uses-enclosed and soldered to a board. Just a guess.
Frank

I agree with Daniel. The need for a hold down strap of any kind to keep the cable in the jack is NOT normal. I don't have a problem with mine either. But if I did I'd probably take the front panel off and adjust the jack contact so there is a little more friction on the insert pin. But that's just me.

Looking at the thread with the internal pictures ( viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3678&hilit=adventure+fan+replacement ), there's no great shot of the input jack, but it looks to be chassis mounted, not PCB mounted. It would still require de-soldering & re-soldering to replace, though. If it's the box style jack (like Boss uses in their pedals), you might be able to bend the contact a little for more tension.

Back
Top Bottom