I had to make another....

Clawfinger

Experienced
...loose, noisy, non-perfect, Mesa-AxeFX-fun tune. I didn't have time to finish it, but what the hell.

Same gear used as in the "Something completely different" thread and the Thrash/Speed thread.

I added the tape distortion plug on the drum bus, to get them as "brown" as possible, so the pumping sound is awesome, not a mistake.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/315378/stuff/85_Schwung.mp3

I use the volume pot on the git to get the cleaner start.

It gets groovier after the 1 minute intro, so hang in there. Haha!

Listening on my laptop speakers but man those drums sound huge! Still mixing with the JBL LSR4300's and matching sub? I think I might end up going with these monitors because I am really digging how this mix translates to these crappy laptop speakers. Great job!

great stuff

How do you get that guitar to sustain like that in the intro (like 0 decay)? Is there a post amp compressor used?

hunter said:
great stuff

How do you get that guitar to sustain like that in the intro (like 0 decay)? Is there a post amp compressor used?

I think that the rectifier with the Master on 10 has plenty of everything, but there's a compressor with 2-3db's at the maximum. ;)

Ringleader said:
Listening on my laptop speakers but man those drums sound huge! Still mixing with the JBL LSR4300's and matching sub? I think I might end up going with these monitors because I am really digging how this mix translates to these crappy laptop speakers. Great job!

Yeah, I'm getting used to them more and more for every day. I think that the important thing is to get to know your speakers pros/cons. The JBL is very bright, with a lot of high end, and the initial impression wasn't too good. The "Room correction" is one notch filter to remove a standing wave. I thought it was a bit more advanced than that. Otherwise, all good.

The "Room correction" is one notch filter to remove a standing wave. I thought it was a bit more advanced than that.
Wow, I was under the impression there was a lot more to the room correction too. I hooked a DBX Driverack PX to my Event 20/20BAS speakers this weekend and did a few "room correction" EQ measurements with the built-in pink noise and RTA. I got some drastically mixed results but ended up with one that actually sounds pretty good. Still not much low end definition but it removed the tubby qualities of the speakers. It really helped to experiment with the RTA mic placement. I read that the JBL's use a sine wave for the room correction vs. pink noise in the DRPX. Knowing what I know now about the room correction limitations in the JBL LSR4300's, I might be better off with what I have. Thanks for the tip!

Ringleader said:
Listening on my laptop speakers but man those drums sound huge! [...] Great job!
ditto that! well... desktop speakers, but still.

that kick sounds like a rampaging rhino on a racetrack

Hey Jocke... This is definitely your second best track after that other clip showcasing the bass... I'm loving it!!!! I just wish you would hook a brother up with some drum presets and axe-fx patches!!!!

Man, I just sat here and zoned out listening to it. It's been a while since a song did that to me. Good stuff.

This is the best "page 2" EVER! ;)

Ok, so all I need is someone who can do some weird solos, and a guy with a great voice and who knows how to write lyrics. Doesn't Pete know Chris Cornell?

Seriously, thanks for the mental boost!

That's such a fantastic, unified low end! It is really impresive how your bass, guitar and kick glue together in this mix. Which kits do you prefer in Superior 2 for this type of tone, or do you just build your own? This really inspires me to work harder in this area. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom