I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

No offence but I kind of agree.. Perhaps I wouldn't use the word 'unplayable', but you're in total denial that you're pushing the device to it's limits. It's not designed to run with the outputs that high - what is so hard to understand about that? You're quite literally seeing and hearing why that's the case.

There are like a billion possible solutions to this problem, but you're insisting that your way HAS to be the right way. There is very rarely ONE correct solution to a problem - your attitude is showing that you don't really care about the flaws in your setup, though..
I think you haven't read anything on page 8 of the thread. I'm starting to come around and said I'd mess with the drive block for instance. More recently, I'm mainly only pissed off that I was able to use the device this way on the Ultra, but not on the 2. With what you quoted me on, I would just like to hear the technical explanation (a little more detail) of what's happening from Cliff. I've seen him post that sort of thing before. It would be good knowledge to have.

Last edited:
I used to run waaay too much gain. I also used to like way too bright of a tone. Also struggled with stuff squealing nastily. I downloaded an Ola Englund patch once and was shocked by how little gain there was and how dark it sounded. I forced myself to make a new patch but used Ola's gain and "dark" levels as the base-line. It only took a few days of playing those patches before I hated my old ones.

I've seen other guitarists do the same thing. I know one guy who has a nasty solid-state amp that sounds horrible harsh. He loves it. He can't hear the harshness (and he's to young for deafness to yet be the issue). Tone and gain level taste is partly personal preference, but is also often influenced by what you've gotten used to.

Also a lot of times pro recordings sound more "high gain" than they really are because they're double tracked. I usually turn my gain down till it no longer "chugs" and then turn it back up to where it sounds right. That way I know I'm not too far into the "red."

That said, to each his own. If you want a ton of gain, no one's saying you can't. Feedback, however, is quite a natural consequence. You might have some luck keeping your gain if just start a new patch and try some different drive/amp/cab combinations. Sometimes just having a bad combo will mess things up.

I used to run waaay too much gain. I also used to like way too bright of a tone. Also struggled with stuff squealing nastily. I downloaded an Ola Englund patch once and was shocked by how little gain there was and how dark it sounded. I forced myself to make a new patch but used Ola's gain and "dark" levels as the base-line. It only took a few days of playing those patches before I hated my old ones.

I've seen other guitarists do the same thing. I know one guy who has a nasty solid-state amp that sounds horrible harsh. He loves it. He can't hear the harshness (and he's to young for deafness to yet be the issue). Tone and gain level taste is partly personal preference, but is also often influenced by what you've gotten used to.

Also a lot of times pro recordings sound more "high gain" than they really are because they're double tracked. I usually turn my gain down till it no longer "chugs" and then turn it back up to where it sounds right. That way I know I'm not too far into the "red."

That said, to each his own. If you want a ton of gain, no one's saying you can't. Feedback, however, is quite a natural consequence. You might have some luck keeping your gain if just start a new patch and try some different drive/amp/cab combinations. Sometimes just having a bad combo will mess things up.
I double track all my rhythms as well. One panned hard left and one hard right. I also used to use way too much treble, back in 2002. The recordings make me cringe.

I recently tried a gain patch with about 30% less gain. I liked it for a day. Then a few days later I went back and listened to it and thought it was too grainy, which I usually hate the sound of. I'm probably going to try putting the drive block back to default and try other things to un-neuter the tone that I perceive as lost from my non-default settings.

You guys may hate the sound of my patch (based on the recording a few pages back) or not. Everyone I know where I live thinks the tone is absolutely brutally awesome. They have told me when things are not though, more than a few times. Because of the polarity of people's responses here, I'm thinking people are saying derogatory things about the patch just because it causes the squealing, not because they think it sounds bad (or are not fans of the same sort of music I am). I and my posse love the sounds I'm getting here. So I really am taking comments about the tone with a grain of salt.

I'm also going to do some tone matching of some stuff I have from the Ultra days.

not much mate, literally until it stops making the noise. I played through your preset using d-activators and managed to tame the squealing and it still sounded fat.

The main issue i found was with the input gate, (didnt know you wasn't using it) :ambivalence: , but when loading the preset that's what i found was my main problem. the ratio was whacked almost at full and the threshold was very low, once lowering the ratio to about 4.40 ish, bringing up the threshold a little, and lowering the release. i didnt have to lower the volume of the TS very much (to about the 3 oclock position at the most)

Come to think of it though, if you are not even using the gate, its going to feedback

Last edited:
I've not seen your preset.. but here's a thought.. if you don't like grainy gain, maybe try something like the 5153Red, Herbert ch3, input drive above 5 or 6, master vol below 3.5..
then the drive will be all preamp.. so it'll be smoother..
and you may not need a drive block

not much mate, literally until it stops making the noise. I played through your preset using d-activators and managed to tame the squealing and it still sounded fat.

The main issue i found was with the input gate, (didnt know you wasn't using it) :ambivalence: , but when loading the preset that's what i found was my main problem. the ratio was whacked almost at full and the threshold was very low, once lowering the ratio to about 4.40 ish, bringing up the threshold a little, and lowering the release. i didnt have to lower the volume of the TS very much (to about the 3 oclock position at the most)

Come to think of it though, if you are not even using the gate, its going to feedback
I use my volume knob for gate. That sounds good that the drive volume only needs to come down a little :)

I've not seen your preset.. but here's a thought.. if you don't like grainy gain, maybe try something like the 5153Red, Herbert ch3, input drive above 5 or 6, master vol below 3.5..
then the drive will be all preamp.. so it'll be smoother..
and you may not need a drive block
Thanks, I have a Herbert patch that is pretty good too. I'll check it out.

I think you haven't read anything on page 8 of the thread. I'm starting to come around and said I'd mess with the drive block for instance. More recently, I'm mainly only pissed off that I was able to use the device this way on the Ultra, but not on the 2. With what you quoted me on, I would just like to hear the technical explanation (a little more detail) of what's happening from Cliff. I've seen him post that sort of thing before. It would be good knowledge to have.

Didn't at all get that vibe from your posts - but all right. My mistake then. I think everyone wants you to be able to do what you want to do for sure.

A technical explanation has been given a few times, just not by Cliff. That much gain on the input and output = internal coupling.

Didn't at all get that vibe from your posts - but all right. My mistake then. I think everyone wants you to be able to do what you want to do for sure.

A technical explanation has been given a few times, just not by Cliff. That much gain on the input and output = internal coupling.
Yeah for a bunch of pages there I was not giving an inch. So you're partly right about my attitude. No harm done.

No one has commented on laughyeraxoff's findings on using a real drive pedal into input 1 though.

Ugh, I forgot to add that the pedals I used in the test, were also ones I used with my Ultra "without squeal" going in to my input 1 of the Ultra. I used the same settings on the pedals as I did with my Ultra and of course with the II input one squeals like a pig:)

I used to use a drive block on a Friedman HBE patch just to smooth the solo setting out but found it would squeal even if I rolled the guitar volume all the way down. The drive on the drive pedal was right down and the HBE was set on around 7. Now I just get whatever gain I need off the amp blocks as there are plenty to choose from and prefer to use the drive blocks on clean channel amps to give them some oompfhh :)

Thank you everyone. I would prefer that this thread ends at this point. I have plenty of workarounds and things to try. Although it is rather strange that real drive pedals are basically unusable on input 1, but maybe that's expected. I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom