I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

Did you mention somewhere in this thread why you feel Out1 needs to be higher than 50%

Also, what pickups do you have?

Did you mention somewhere in this thread why you feel Out1 needs to be higher than 50%

Also, what pickups do you have?

Yes. When recording I've had to bump down the Master fader in my DAW somewhat when monitoring the signal when at 50%. There may be some input gain I can add in the MOTU control panel, I'll take a look.

Pickups are some of the best pickups on the planet. This set here. His company wins pickup shootouts regularly. All hand-wound.

American Steele Set (ASTs)

There's nothing wrong with the pickups. It's probably mostly my drive block. I'll try some minor tweaks and see if it gets fixed. And - I also tested my patch with 3 random passive pickup guitars at Guitar Center. They all had the exact same problem. So yeah, it's not the pickups.

Funny, never happens to me. Even with my "unplayable" tone. In fact, just the opposite.

I wasn't helpful? Ok, next time I find a potential bug, I'll keep it to myself and there will be no possibility of it getting fixed.

There was clearly something lost in translation here. When GM Arts said "as you were" it is a military command to return to the previous position and can also mean a statement to withdraw something just said.

Remember the 1500 hz setting is a not a brick wall filter. It is just the cut off frequency where the rolloff starts.

You are definitely letting significant amounts of energy above 1500 through with this setting.

Yes. When recording I've had to bump down the Master fader in my DAW somewhat when monitoring the signal when at 50%. There may be some input gain I can add in the MOTU control panel, I'll take a look.

Pickups are some of the best pickups on the planet. This set here. His company wins pickup shootouts regularly. All hand-wound.

There's nothing wrong with the pickups. It's probably mostly my drive block. I'll try some minor tweaks and see if it gets fixed. And - I also tested my patch with 3 random passive pickup guitars at Guitar Center. They all had the exact same problem. So yeah, it's not the pickups.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the pickups; I was more just curious if there was a frequency response chart available for them.

Honestly, my recommendation (and this comes separately from the fact that I think there's more going here, because, as I said earlier, I'm getting a similar issue with much less gain) would be to go do some research for yourself on gain staging. You may end up feeling exactly the same as you do now, but at least then you'd be able to make an informed choices, rather than just having people repeatedly tell you "turn it down" without any context.

Remember the 1500 hz setting is a not a brick wall filter. It is just the cut off frequency where the rolloff starts.

You are definitely letting significant amounts of energy above 1500 through with this setting.

Oh ok, I thought it was like a high pass where nothing gets through at all.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the pickups; I was more just curious if there was a frequency response chart available for them.

Honestly, my recommendation (and this comes separately from the fact that I think there's more going here, because, as I said earlier, I'm getting a similar issue with much less gain) would be to go do some research for yourself on gain staging. You may end up feeling exactly the same as you do now, but at least then you'd be able to make an informed choices, rather than just having people repeatedly tell you "turn it down" without any context.

I haven't seen a chart of their response. They aren't crazy treble like "Screamin Demons" though, I can tell you that much.

First thing I'm going to try is less volume and high cut on the drive block until just shy of the point where I think it doesn't sound good.

Oh ok, I thought it was like a high pass where nothing gets through at all.

If that was the case, you would get into "telephone" special effects territory.

The downstream stuff from the tube screamer is creating new harmonics / adding high frequency information. So rolling off, not cutting off, can take some of the ice pick highs off while preserving the good high end of the tone.

(P.S. WCR pickup user here too. Love em.)

I haven't seen a chart of their response. They aren't crazy treble like "Screamin Demons" though, I can tell you that much.

First thing I'm going to try is less volume and high cut on the drive block until just shy of the point where I think it doesn't sound good.

I'd still recommend researching gain staging, and I don't mean that in a "Jeez! Why don't you know this stuff?" way.

This suggestion is probably a dead end, but ..., I checked the website and didn't see it mentioned one way or the other ?

Some Boutique Pickup winders ( especially when they're going for PAF authenticity ) offer "non-potted" options, or ..., in some cases you have to ask for them to be potted ....

Any chance your set of pickups aren't potted ? That would possibly explain a lot ?

This suggestion is probably a dead end, but ..., I checked the website and didn't see it mentioned one way or the other ?

Some Boutique Pickup winders ( especially when they're going for PAF authenticity ) offer "non-potted" options, or ..., in some cases you have to ask for them to be potted ....

Any chance your set of pickups aren't potted ? That would possibly explain a lot ?
They are potted. Did you read my whole post that you quoted? I tried 3 other random guitars at the store and they all had the same problem. 4 out of 4 other users that tried the patch on this thread verified as well. We're past this part. The problem exists and it happens to all passive pickup guitars on this type of setting.

I've got an American Steele set like the OP.

I'm not positive but I think Jim pots everything. Mine behave well at loud volumes but I don't play hi gain. I'm more of a Marshall / Bogner / Dumble guy when I'm not playing clean.

I've got an American Steele set like the doesn''m not positive but I think Jim pots everything. Mine behave well at loud volumes but I don't play hi gain. I'm more of a Marshall / Bogner / Dumble guy when I'm not playing clean.

I use the Bogners too. They sound great and have plenty of gain.

Jim doesn't wax pot because it robs tone. But he uses an alternative method. They are potted.

Jim pots with what he calls "secret sauce". It cuts the squeals but still allows the coils to resonate with the wood of the guitar.

I only use Jim Wagner pickups, with 99% of my axes having a Godwood bridge (I alternate between the Crossroads & Godwood in the neck, love the American Steele combo). Best PUPs ever- handle a myriad of styles and tones, split well, literally the pickup worlds version of the Axe FX.

And remember, kids, they're JIM WAGNER pickups so forget the old moniker. :)

JWP Guitar Pickups

Since Jerotas Went to the music store and tried a few guitars, I did the same thing and also tested some pedals on the Axe II and Some Amps. Here is what I noticed.

I tried the Axe II not only on my 7 diff guitars almost half with passive pickups and the other 4 with actives, but then I took my Axe II to the local music store and tried it on like 10 different guitars with passive pickups and a few with actives. With Passive pickups it squeals every time On the front input, with higher gain settings, but never on the back one with same settings or even more gain, and Actives don't squeal with same settings. Now if I add a lot more gain it happens on the back vs the front but then were talking un usable so I think that is to be expected.

While I was there I also plugged in some distortion pedals in the front input, "turned off all amp's and pedal's in the Axe II" Well the front input squeals a lot sooner than does the rear input on this test too. The full on distortion pedal could not be used with a distortion level more than medium, not even close to Jerotas patch before squeal!!!, but the rear input could do more distortion and not squeal lol

So I wonder if the special sauce though it's great makes it more sensitive to things like that, even more so than an amp, because I did the same test's to a few amps with the same two pedals I tested with the Axe II front input and rear input and NO feedback at the same level's of distortion from the pedals in the Amp's input like happens with the Axe's Front input, the amps acted like the Axe II's rear input.

Last edited:
Jim pots with what he calls "secret sauce". It cuts the squeals but still allows the coils to resonate with the wood of the guitar.

I only use Jim Wagner pickups, with 99% of my axes having a Godwood bridge (I alternate between the Crossroads & Godwood in the neck, love the American Steele combo). Best PUPs ever- handle a myriad of styles and tones, split well, literally the pickup worlds version of the Axe FX.

And remember, kids, they're JIM WAGNER pickups so forget the old moniker. :)

JWP Guitar Pickups

I think they're the best pickups ever, but that's subjective. I have the Iron Man set in my other guitar and those are just as great in a different way!

So I wonder if the special sauce though it's great makes it more sensitive to things like that, even more so than an amp, because I did the same test's to a few amps with the same two pedals I tested with the Axe II front input and rear input and NO feedback at the same level's of distortion from the pedals in the Amp's input like happens with the Axe's Front input, the amps acted like the Axe II's rear input.

That's my guess as well. Only Cliff would know for sure but he didn't want to explain what the unfixable problem is. He only wanted to post to say my patch is unplayable (my recording proves otherwise).

That's my guess as well. Only Cliff would know for sure but he didn't want to explain what the unfixable problem is. He only wanted to post to say my patch is unplayable (my recording proves otherwise).

No offence but I kind of agree.. Perhaps I wouldn't use the word 'unplayable', but you're in total denial that you're pushing the device to it's limits. It's not designed to run with the outputs that high - what is so hard to understand about that? You're quite literally seeing and hearing why that's the case.

There are like a billion possible solutions to this problem, but you're insisting that your way HAS to be the right way. There is very rarely ONE correct solution to a problem - your attitude is showing that you don't really care about the flaws in your setup, though..

Back
Top Bottom