I get feedback when I stop playing on some of my rhythm patches???

laughyouraxeoff has exactly the same problem. I spoke with him on the phone. Is it normal with a real amp? I don't know, I tried a real amp, not with a drive pedal, but I'm not going to turn the amp up to 11 and see if it happens. That would be more a feedback problem of massive speaker volume interacting with the pickups.

Remember this problem happens even with no audible speaker volume.

I'm talking to support now, I'm going to send them the patch and see if they can reproduce.

Yeah, me too! through headphones no doubt. No monitor/speaker volume.

Here's my squeal patch. All you need to do to reproduce:

1) Import patch to Axe-Fx 2XL.
2) Plug in guitar with passive pickups to front input 1.
3) Turn up volume and tone knobs on guitar to full. Select bridge pickup (happens on all my humbuckers though).
4) Turn OUPUT1 knob to 100% on Axe-Fx.
5) Plug in a speaker to output1 turned very very low - just enough to hear what you're playing (just to prove it's not loud volume-based feedback, you don't actually have to have a speaker plugged in at all).
6) Play something on the guitar, then stop playing. Instant squeal non-stop until you do one of the following:

a) turn down guitar volume a lot
b) turn down guitar tone a lot
c) turn off drive block
d) turn down output1 to about 50% or less.

Attachments

• Engl Squeal.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 17
Ok. It comes in instantly, and is quite high pitched, higher than 2.3 fret harmonic on G string. Moving the whammy bar does not affect the pitch.

Now that we think it's microphonic, how is such a thing fixed?

Nickel covered? No idea. It looks like a standard Seymour Duncan pickup with the 6 screws and other 6 that don't have slots in them. It's not a soap bar cover. It's not a SD, just looks like one. It's about twice as expensive as those.

I see you're located in Seattle. I am, as well. I can probably fix it for you. If it's a microphonic pickup, I can pot it for you easily.
I will send you PM with my number.

FWIW I don't think it's the pickup being microphonic judging by the fact that it does it with no speaker attached.

I see you're located in Seattle. I am, as well. I can probably fix it for you. If it's a microphonic pickup, I can pot it for you easily.
I will send you PM with my number.

I think you missed the part where I reported trying with a couple other guitars. They all had the same problem. Active pickup guitars are immune though.

I'm curious, if you move physically further away from the Axe II does it still exhibit the 'feedback'? Like say 10 feet or so away? I'm just wondering if it's maybe some form of magnetic interaction.

I'm also curious if this behavior would occur on a MK 1 or MK 2 unit.

I'm curious, if you move physically further away from the Axe II does it still exhibit the 'feedback'? Like say 10 feet or so away? I'm just wondering if it's maybe some form of magnetic interaction.

I'm also curious if this behavior would occur on a MK 1 or MK 2 unit.

Already tried, 10 feet away. No difference.

I had the same patch construction on the Ultra and it didn't squeal at all. I don't have the Ultra any more though.

Here's my squeal patch. All you need to do to reproduce:

1) Import patch to Axe-Fx 2XL.
2) Plug in guitar with passive pickups to front input 1.
3) Turn up volume and tone knobs on guitar to full. Select bridge pickup (happens on all my humbuckers though).
4) Turn OUPUT1 knob to 100% on Axe-Fx.
5) Plug in a speaker to output1 turned very very low - just enough to hear what you're playing (just to prove it's not loud volume-based feedback, you don't actually have to have a speaker plugged in at all).
6) Play something on the guitar, then stop playing. Instant squeal non-stop until you do one of the following:

a) turn down guitar volume a lot
b) turn down guitar tone a lot
c) turn off drive block
d) turn down output1 to about 50% or less.

I can't try this preset right now as i am still waiting for my replacement axefx2xl but is there anyone can try if they can reproduce on other 2xl devices too?? So Fractal team will know if it's common or maybe software related or something...

I got squealing on my Mark 1 and my new XL. I'm waiting on a new guitar for further tests. The pickups I'm using ATM seem to require a lot of gain in my presets but in turn may push them too far = the squeal.

I got squealing on my Mark 1 and my new XL. I'm waiting on a new guitar for further tests. The pickups I'm using ATM seem to require a lot of gain in my presets but in turn may push them too far = the squeal.
Thanks for testing. I knew it would happen on other devices, not just mine. What does Mark 1 mean?

Thanks for testing. I knew it would happen on other devices, not just mine. What does Mark 1 mean?
As in Axe FX II Mark 1. (Mark 1 > Mark II > XL) Anyway I think it's just how some guitars are with the AXE FX II, that and of coarse heaps of gain with a high output volume set on the AXE FX. Like you, I would like some type of clarification or work around. Unfortunately I require a good amount of gain for this one guitar I'm using.

Hi all,

Normally I'm the guy who pretends to know nothing.
In this case, I can emphatically state it's not springs vibrating, microphonic pickups, or a nest of beetles under the scratch plate. It's a resonance caused electronically... something to do with the tuned circuit created with the Axe FX, and guitar. I cvan emulate it here any time with a number of guitars. If it was acoustic in any fashion, it wouldn't happen when the volume it turned down. Want to get rid of it? change to a low impedance. Problem with that is the sound changes.

Anyway - back to knowing nothing.
Pauly

Here's the final response from Fractal Audio support:
---START----
It is not made to use with the outputs cranked that high. You can do it but it is not recommended. Think of it like the gas pedal in your car, while you can drive your vehicle with the throttle wide open, it is not recommended.
---END----

However, I'm pretty sure I used the same settings on the Ultra and there was no sqealing. Anyway, I'm going to use 50% output from now on and hope I don't have to lower the Master fader in my DAW because the monitor signal from Axe-FX is too quiet like this.

So, issue verified, but apparently no way to fix it.

It looks like you're pushing the circuit into oscillation. Any amplifier will go into oscillation if the input and gain are high enough. You are taking a very high gain amp and pushing a really hot signal into it with the drive block. Some amps are more prone to it than others. You also have the Drive block high cut set all the way up to 20kHz. Big boosts in the highs will make oscillation worse. Pull the high cut back down to control the gain in those upper frequencies. It's not a bad sounding preset, but I would dial the gain back and turn down the level in the drive block. You'll get a tighter, less noisy tone and it will be far less likely to oscillate on you.

if the same settings and gear were used on a real amp, i'm sure it would have been much easier to swallow "hmm maybe i shouldn't set it like this."

we have so much leeway in this digital realm, yet at the same time the axe strives to (and succeeds in) mimic* the physical gear as close as possible. this means that we CAN turn up master volumes and input trims, gains, drive pedals etc all the way up without actual perceived volume being loud.

if you haven't used an old marshall head in real life, you may not know that some tones only happen with all the knobs turned fully up, including volume. that means it's FREAKING LOUD. guess what also happens? major guitar feedback! (i know this isn't directly related to the thread, just illustrating a point.)

for many things with the axe, we CAN have our cake and eat it too. but there are just some limitations, especially when it comes to gain.

i've seen axe presets with 2 drive pedals maxed out into a recto with all gain all the way up, boost on, trim all the way up, master all the way up and the guy asks me why it's feeding back and not dynamic. hehe.

meh, i'm just rambling. gain is gain. thankfully with digital it doesn't have to be as loud to our ears, but the physics are still there.

*no trademark infringement intended :p

Reactions: Rex
that means it's FREAKING LOUD.

I think you understated it a little here. A more appropriate statement would have been "that means it will kill infants and most small marsupials within 10 paces."

I watched a Jimi video on youtube, I can't remember which show/song, but he looked at the people in the kill zone directly in front of the 2 double stacks and said something along the lines of "It's going to be REALLY loud, I'm sorry!"
He then took a few steps outside of the "Point this side to enemy" zone and tore their faces off.

Back
Top Bottom