I don't know how to best use the noise gate/s.

JDR3009

Inspired
Hi all,

I've been messing with the gates in the III to try and get it them where I want them to be. I'm 99% there but for whatever reason when I do anything stop/start-ish with some gain I get this thing where the gate will clamp down then seemingly reopen to let some noise through while the signal is still dying down. I've messed with the attack and release and they don't seem to be fixing what I'm trying to get away from. A faster release doesn't make much difference but slowing it down just makes the noise worse.

I have attached a sound clip and the preset (with a factory IR instead of my 3rd party ones) to this so hopefully if someone is able to take a look at it, they'll know better than I do how to solve what I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Attachments

• Problematic Gate.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi all,

I've been messing with the gates in the III to try and get it them where I want them to be. I'm 99% there but for whatever reason when I do anything stop/start-ish with some gain I get this thing where the gate will clamp down then seemingly reopen to let some noise through while the signal is still dying down. I've messed with the attack and release and they don't seem to be fixing what I'm trying to get away from. A faster release doesn't make much difference but slowing it down just makes the noise worse.

I have attached a sound clip and the preset (with a factory IR instead of my 3rd party ones) to this so hopefully if someone is able to take a look at it, they'll know better than I do how to solve what I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give!

Not really understanding 100% what's happening here. I hear lots of noise in general when deactivating both gates. However, I could get rid of the noise tails you mention simply by rising threshold and lowering attack of the input 1 built-in gate. Does this make the trick for you?

Increase the ratio on your input's noise gate to 4.5, and adjust the threshold appropiately. If I use a second noise gate for whatever reason, I will put it right after the amp block with some pretty extreme settings. If you are using anything like a DI box or anything fancy in front of the Axe FX anywhere, play around with ground lifts in different places. Ground loops can add a lot of that noise you are hearing. My DI goes XRL out to my Apollo Twin, and even though the throughput is going just to my Axe FX from the DI box, I still have to lift the ground on the DI box (the one of the back of the Axe FX does nothing). A really shitty DI box will pickup AM radio.

Try setting the sidechain source to input 1 if you're looking for an ultra-tight gate. Put the downward expander after your amp and cab block.

I have found the same issue with the input noisegate, both classic and intelligent, regardless of ratio, threshold and timing. There's a 'woosh' following the gate closing.
At first I thought it was my trem springs but even after damping and using a fixed bridge guitar it still occurs.
It also occurs on every output, for instance sending to external gear using input 1.
It does not occur with input 1 gate set to OFF and using the downward expander sidechain set to block L+R or row later in the chain.
However it does occur in the downward expander if the sidechain is set to input 1.
Maybe it's a capacitor charging or discharging in the input circuitry.

Back
Top Bottom