I don’t use cabs at all. Sounds great!

Having come up with preset cabinet simulations that were never quite to my liking, it seems to me that having complete control over the eq one might stand a better chance of dialing in a satisfactory tone. Not sure I’m ready to ditch my cabs though! :)
Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.

Having come up with preset cabinet simulations that were never quite to my liking, it seems to me that having complete control over the eq one might stand a better chance of dialing in a satisfactory tone. Not sure I’m ready to ditch my cabs though! :)
What about replacing cab with the "Totally Flat" one to keep the "idea" of the cab plus cab preamps available, but actually shaping the tone with EQ before of after the cab?

A somewhat hybrid alternative to no cab I like is to increase the cab block's "air" parameter which seems to reduce the mix of the cab with a hi-cut on the dry raw amp element being introduced more or less depending on "air" level.

Last edited:
What about replacing cab with the "Totally Flat" one to keep the "idea" of the cab plus cab preamps available, but actually shaping the tone with EQ before of after the cab?
Side note… When I said “come up with,” I probably should have used different language for clarity. Been using cabinet sims to make direct sounds tolerable since the eighties.

Not sure what the goal is with your suggestion?

Try it, you might be pleasantly suprised.
When I mentioned “come up with” in my previous comment, I meant I’ve been using amp sims all through my four plus decades of making guitar noises. Direct tones were, shall we say, “limiting.”And I’ve certainly listened to my fair share of eq manipulated signal chains in that time.

I’m more interested in leveling up with eq skills than with ditching the core elements of what makes my style mine. So I guess I’m not exactly sure what’s being suggested? :)

This thread was of interest because I’ve been evaluating different approaches to recreating 80’s session tones. Some involve going bone dry direct. One way or another those signals end up heavily processed. I gravitate to the amp/cab influenced approaches. I’ve yet to hear a new direction to take for advantage in playing music, but I’m certainly open to hearing others playing with new sounds. 🤙🏼

To keep some of the CAB block possibilities but not having IR shaping the sound.
I'm away from my FM3 for a while so cannot really try - just an idea!
Ah, so sort of like the equivalent of the null filter block, used for the other features the block comprises? What’s the advantage?

You can use cab preamp, for example - I cannot live without it for any EoB or above tones :) You can extra tools for shaping the sound, including air, exrta EQ, etc. I mean why not. It's easy to remove if it doesn't contribute anything to the tone you're hearing in your head.
If it suits your creative aims, sure. I’m sure there must be all-pass IRs out there to experiment with.

So as requested, here are a few sound clips. Apologies for the quality of the recording - I do not have a studio or any kind of recording equipment.
I haven't included any of the effects within the presets. These are just the basic sounds from a Marshall type preset (Friedman amp), a Plexi preset, a JTM preset and the final one is a Suhr - all built with no cab blocks.

If you like the sounds I am happy to upload the presets to Axe Exchange but be aware - I am a buffoon and struggle to play guitar, let alone use technology ;):p

Attachments

• Sounds.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 000_Rock.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 001_Plexi.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 007_JTM.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 012_Suhr Thing.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
So as requested, here are a few sound clips. Apologies for the quality of the recording - I do not have a studio or any kind of recording equipment.
I haven't included any of the effects within the presets. These are just the basic sounds from a Marshall type preset (Friedman amp), a Plexi preset, a JTM preset and the final one is a Suhr - all built with no cab blocks.

If you like the sounds I am happy to upload the presets to Axe Exchange but be aware - I am a buffoon and struggle to play guitar, let alone use technology ;):p
There are effects on the U2 preset as you can hear.

Back
Top Bottom