I didn't want to do it, I knew better, and now no sound... (Macbook Pro)

spagthorpe

Power User
My very tired late 2011 Macbook Pro is in a bad way. The discrete GPU fried a while back, but I've been nursing it along with a script provided by another inmate here. Well, now that I have to travel again, I thought it would be a good idea to get my VPN working again. Bad idea. The VPN stopped supporting El Capitan that I had settled on as stable. 10.12 and up they said, so I figured I'll upgrade to Sierra...

I fought with that update for an entire evening. Frequently the MBP would freeze on boot, but work in safe mode. Sometimes it comes up, sometimes not. Anyway, I digress.

I have no sound. No input devices, no output devices. Any ideas?

i feel your pain...
my mid 2010 macbook pro went belly up on the high sierra update.
I think there was re-formatting of file types? anyway i installed a ss drive and they were able to rescue the contents of the disk.
machine operates better now than when i bought it.

i feel your pain...
I think there was re-formatting of file types? anyway i installed a ss drive and they were able to rescue the contents of the disk.
Ohhh, I had forgotten about that format change with hard drive encryption that Apple had done a while back. I think I had to buy a second drive and do some weird stuff to hack back in and salvage my data after they did that. I was so mad. Lol

Grass isn’t greener, though. I just had to wipe my less than a year old Windows 10 install because of some stupid driver bug after a Windows update. Also, another Windows update has since rendered the native screen shot feature broken somehow. I’m now using a 3rd party software for that feature.

In other words, +1 to the “feel your pain” bit.

i feel your pain...

They did what?

Great. I already have an decent SSD in here. I might to a clean install after this trip. I was really rushed to do something after not have traveled for work in two years.

I know I had to do a full recover on this machine once, and it was super painful. As it is, I generally know which applications to avoid, as some force turning on the discrete gpu, which then freezes the display, and I have to go to single user and then run a script to get it back. I can't help it if some install thing does it.

The machine got so bad, that I finally just said screw it, and bored here at a hotel, so I got the High Sierra update. I figured it couldn't get any worse, but maybe it would work better. Had a few weird freezes during the install, so a handful of restarts, but when it finally came up it seems to work perfectly. Audio is back, can play video files, etc.

Looks like the beater MBP has some more time in her.

The machine got so bad, that I finally just said screw it, and bored here at a hotel, so I got the High Sierra update. I figured it couldn't get any worse, but maybe it would work better. Had a few weird freezes during the install, so a handful of restarts, but when it finally came up it seems to work perfectly. Audio is back, can play video files, etc.

Looks like the beater MBP has some more time in her.

Nice! That's some luck right there.

Whenever Apple/Mac hardware acts up the first thing to try are a PRAM and SMC reset (Google the procedures and potential caveats); I've seen literally hundreds of Macs with all sorts of strange hardware issues corrected by those simple procedures.

Back
Top Bottom