I can't take the Honk anymore - SOLVED

HereToday

Experienced
I don't know what it is. Anymore I can't stand the G string and the honk frequencies in produces, especially on open chords. It's on all guitars (electric and acoustic), all presets (clean) and all amps. Even after EQing the crap outta my presets, I want to just yank the damn thing off all my guitars and play with 5. Lol. What's weird is I love country music with a lot of honk. Haha. Just not when I'm playing.

Anyone else have a love-hate relationship with that third string from the bottom?

I have have given this serious consideration and will probably go ahead and do it even though I do bend that string fairly often.

It will bend a whole lot easier with a wound string. And it won't sound as loud, nor will it always sound a wee bit off no matter how well intonated your guitar is.

What sort of speakers are you using?

I don't know what it is. Anymore I can't stand the G string and the honk frequencies in produces, especially on open chords. It's on all guitars (electric and acoustic), all presets (clean) and all amps. Even after EQing the crap outta my presets, I want to just yank the damn thing off all my guitars and play with 5. Lol. What's weird is I love country music with a lot of honk. Haha. Just not when I'm playing.

Anyone else have a love-hate relationship with that third string from the bottom?

Have you had an audiogram lately? Might be the frequency response of your hearing, rather than being a problem at source...

Just a thought.
Agreed, I'd get a hearing test (that sounds sarcastic, but it's not meant to be).
Sounds like you have a hearing sensitivity to that frequency.
I've never experienced any dislike of the G-string tone on any guitar/amp....only speakers (for me) have resonated in ways that would irritate me.

Agreed, I'd get a hearing test (that sounds sarcastic, but it's not meant to be).
Sounds like you have a hearing sensitivity to that frequency.
I've never experienced any dislike of the G-string tone on any guitar/amp....only speakers (for me) have resonated in ways that would irritate me.

It's possible I have developed some sort of sensitivity. I do have some tinnitus and have lost some upper frequencies above 15K. G frequencies are pretty low though, comparatively speaking.

It's possible I have developed some sort of sensitivity. I do have some tinnitus and have lost some upper frequencies above 15K. G frequencies are pretty low though, comparatively speaking.
Very few people have flat frequency response hearing up to their cutoff point. The shape of your ear canals, the resonant frequencies of your sinuses, different levels of damping by a tiny muscle called stapedius that damps the vibrations of the stapes bone in the middle ear, and many other variables, all play a part in how your inner ear and the auditory nerve actually perceive sound. Your hearing loss above 15KHz would be just an age related thing, plus noise exposure, over the years. But it would be worth getting an audiogram just to see what your own personal trace is like.
As BBN suggested, this suggestion is not intended to be sarcastic, but a serious suggestion to try and find out why your perception of a certain set of frequencies (+/- their harmonics) may be different from the way others hear them.

I had an ear "blow out" at a loud open jam while playing. All of the sudden one ear sounded like I was in a tunnel.

I got tested and there is severe hearing loss in that ear, but I also hear added frequencies that adds distortion and aural confusion. I believe the damage not only removed frequencies but has added a nasty resonance (and harmonics/subharmonics) around 750 Hz.

So certain music or tones sound bad, distorted or even painful. It sucks.

Truth be told, I did have a punctured eardrum about 15 years ago. Freak accident on a tractor driving through some pines - a wee thin branch found its way into my ear. Could have contributed to my current dilemma.

No matter, my new nickel wounds arrived today from Thomann. Man, are they fast or what. Swapped out a few on my honkiest tele's, and......pure heaven to me ears. Looks like I'm going to continue to be a 6-stringer after all!

Later tonight, I may even start to remove my frequency cuts. I really can't express what this means to me. Some days, playing was getting downright un-enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom