I bet you can play this

Cobrango

Power User
I bet you can play this

rough tab:

1385843_791645777556114_8628422040872164997_n.jpg

Good instructional video , thanks:)

thank you! maybe I can add notes inside the video for the future. and make a sheet that is correct with all the fancy symbols etc. if you only look at the numbers it works! hehe.

except the ending, I think it's 22 and not 20. anyhow, with a combination of the video and the loltab, I think everyone can understand it, hehe. Improvements are needed for instructional purposes :p

I had to transpose it down a couple of frets because the frets on my rga8 are so bad that it sounds chirpy and kind of like two notes at the same time.

It's either bad frets / fret buzz or the neck pickup being too high causing string pull and weird stuff.

Last edited:
just out of curiosity what are your delay settings?

I love curiosity! you will find them here:

Axe-Change - Download Preset - Shawn Lane Powers of Ten3 - by Cobrango

but yeah they're advanced as Shawn lanes settings were pretty advanced. I'm not sure about the block placement, it's a neverending quest for me.

description of preset:

"The preset I used to record the "I bet you can play this" lick Shawn Lane Powers of Ten3 (I think I edited a former patch and threw a "3" on there as it's the third version.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Cobrango/videos
https://soundcloud.com/torjeamundsen
https://www.facebook.com/torjeamundsenmusic

but yeah they're advanced as Shawn lanes settings were pretty advanced. I'm not sure about the block placement, it's a neverending quest for me.

description of preset:

"The preset I used to record the "I bet you can play this" lick Shawn Lane Powers of Ten3 (I think I edited a former patch and threw a "3" on there as it's the third version.

Hello wondering if you can tab out the Shawn lane outside video you did in u tube ?

Id like to work on that dont know the fret locations or fingerings and it moves by pretty fast
any tabs of Shawns music or the outside video ?

Thanks much

Last edited:
Hello wondering if you can tab out the Shawn lane outside video you did in u tube ?

Id like to work on that dont know the fret locations or fingerings and it moves by pretty fast
any tabs of Shawns music or the outside video ?

Thanks much

Sure no problem! :D

here's the first lick in Shawn Lane's video:

10950703_794146357306056_9204438485218933356_n.jpg

and here's an example of something I would play using the diminished scale or whole-half / half-whole scale (including picking pattern) :

10353045_794146403972718_5827758028563055286_n.jpg

I just wrote some stuff about this lesson on my artist page:

https://www.facebook.com/torjeamundsenmusic/posts/794152467305445

for some reason I leave out the pinky when reaching the higher frets (around the 12th or 14th fret) for the diminished arpeggio kind of box.

This is just something you have explore, to see if you find it more naturally to do so. I play faster when only using three fingers (index, middle, ring) for diminished stuff above the 12th fret. but for other stuff like chromatics I use the pinky.

I think a lot about fingering, kind of like a pianist I guess. Some times I have different fingerings for ascending licks than the same lick descending.

For me it's all about what finger is hitting the next fret. If it's "this" finger, then I have to make "that" finger be the optimal one for "this" finger to make a smooth appearance.

And when I say optimal one I'm thinking about ergonomics. what finger and how much force would I use if I had to use that finger to play that until my hand would fall off? that's ergonomics to me :D what choices one does to make the playing so smooth that it's more like watching or feeling the fingers move like some ballet, more than actually *playing*.

The hand, arm, body, they all become one in a sphere of sense, dreams and ideas. the way they all move, is a part of the unity. the dance of ideas.

Sure no problem! :D

here's the first lick in Shawn Lane's video:

10950703_794146357306056_9204438485218933356_n.jpg

and here's an example of something I would play using the diminished scale or whole-half / half-whole scale (including picking pattern) :

10353045_794146403972718_5827758028563055286_n.jpg

I just wrote some stuff about this lesson on my artist page:

https://www.facebook.com/torjeamundsenmusic/posts/794152467305445

for some reason I leave out the pinky when reaching the higher frets (around the 12th or 14th fret) for the diminished arpeggio kind of box.

This is just something you have explore, to see if you find it more naturally to do so. I play faster when only using three fingers (index, middle, ring) for diminished stuff above the 12th fret. but for other stuff like chromatics I use the pinky.

I think a lot about fingering, kind of like a pianist I guess. Some times I have different fingerings for ascending licks than the same lick descending.

For me it's all about what finger is hitting the next fret. If it's "this" finger, then I have to make "that" finger be the optimal one for "this" finger to make a smooth appearance.

And when I say optimal one I'm thinking about ergonomics. what finger and how much force would I use if I had to use that finger to play that until my hand would fall off? that's ergonomics to me :D what choices one does to make the playing so smooth that it's more like watching or feeling the fingers move like some ballet, more than actually *playing*.

The hand, arm, body, they all become one in a sphere of sense, dreams and ideas. the way they all move, is a part of the unity. the dance of ideas.

Thanks much that was fast !
big stretches here Shawn was the man for certain...

Thanks much that was fast !
big stretches here Shawn was the man for certain...

hehe the pleasure is mine. fingerings are all boxes: index, pinky, middle, pinky - then start over again on the next string. When you reach the box on the G-string it's index, ring, middle, index, ring. Then you can slide the ringfinger up to the next box and descend using the same fingering.

At some point I leave out the pinky when reaching the highest frets to increase the speed and make room for my fingers basicly, lol. Then I do all the boxes with the last fingering I mentioned:

ascending: index, ring, middle, index, ring.
descending: ring, index, middle, ring, index

as seen in my video from 0:43:

Yes thanks for sharing excellent work I will try it but for some reason when I play it does not sound the same I think I have the picking wrong.

Yes thanks for sharing excellent work I will try it but for some reason when I play it does not sound the same I think I have the picking wrong.

I use a very light touch. I actually try to touch the strings as little as I can, as if it's all legato, only the pick is there to make the notes sing.

As I see it, this is also a part of ergonomics. What is the least amount of force needed to produce the sound you want? The sound being the other element, if you want a aggressive attack - you've gotta dig in there.

Fortunatly I want the sound of a light attack, that will save my arms from so much tension. nothing wrong with hard attack, I like that too for the heavy stuff.

My choice is toward light picks. This helps especially for string skipping as it increase the speed and accuracy.
In my case it does because if I use a thicker pick, lets say 1,5mm or 2mm, the attack on the string I skip to is way over the top.

I try to avoid this because I want my attack to be the same as when I hybrid pick - I try to be as light as possible when I hybrid pick so therefore I need a
light pick to match the attack. I'm a former dunlop "pitch black" addict (ah come on, we all know about the pitch black mystery, it's a tortex jazz III. There I said it.)
But when I went all extended range guitar (ERG) (7-string+) the tortex jazz III became way too small for the heavier strings. I started using the normal tortex (?) but when
I discovered the T3 version, Dunlop tortex T3, everything felt right. I tried various gauges and the 0,5mm was just all over the place. I tried the orange one 0,60mm and I've used it ever since. I think Paul Gilbert is using them too, so there's a reference.

The advantage, as I see it, with using light picks is speed. It's less material to get caught up in the strings and you have to use less force to produce a note.
Especially when using 8-strings this is a no brainer to me because the lighter picks have a brighter attack, so when I play leads I go superlight in the attack, trying to produce a smooth sound ala Allan Holdsworth (1mm nylon pick btw, Brett Grased also use this pick).

One thing I really like about this is that the organge tortex T3 just make so much sense on an 8-string. When I enter the lower B or 0.80 drop-e string the attack becomes brighter which really fits how I want the low strings to sound like. A thick pick does not sound good to me on low tunings because it's too warm and round, when I dig in on heavy riffs I want tight teethy grain-bite :p I can pick way lighter when digging in too because the tone is there. Playing fast riffs rocks using the 0.60mm T3 by dunlop. try it. You might like it! but be warned - you also may not.

This is a nice article which touches upon Brett Garsed's technique iBreatheMusic.com - Why Not Do Both? (Legato Pt.2 and more...) by Eric Vandenberg

I like the warm thicker sound for a more clean jazzy bebop from the purple tortex T3 (around 1mm?) but I don't like that it's all stiff, even though Guthrie Govan embrace the importance of a pick that does not "give" or bends, because then you will have more control. Well I love Guthrie Govan but I also love a light attack and a style more in the ballpark of Allan and Brett. But hey, why not do both?

I hope this surrounds your question, lol :D

Last edited:

description of preset:

Thank you!

Thanks screen capped those lessons ..
What settings are you using if I may ask something you came up with
in the axe ?
Im curious as you mentioned Shawn's settings were pretty advanced.
What are you going from on the settings you are using if I might ask ?
a setting you made on axe fx II or are there settings released regarding Shawn ?
Did you tone capture or match or just use your ears ? Or are there settings out ?

Back
Top Bottom