I am sitting on the fence with my review. AX8 to FM3 (EDIT, I have climbed down from the fence now..)

Dixiethedog

Experienced
After going through all of the presets (guitar in hand) as I watched the excellent @FSM showcasing all of the presets (prest1 to 50 etc) in his video series I initially felt a bit disappointed. I bought my FM3 used, so it could be simple things like the previous owner has switched off a drive pedal or altered a delay in a setting but mine does not sound exactly like Frank's! More play time is needed to adjust things. So I will look into this a bit more.

At the moment I am still more of an AX8 fan. But in the defence of the FM3 I don't have a clue how to use the foot pedals or much else. I can adjust things almost blindfolded on my trusty AX8. So this will be a steep learning curve to climb.

Soundwise, I have a few go-to presets on (in?) my AX8 that I prefer over a lot of the stuff I have played in the factory FM presets. But again, not a problem, I can program my settings over. I have made comments that I have never been that happy with my ADAM T5V's and I hoped that plugging into the FM3 might change my opinion. They still sound raspy,farty and harsh in some settings. I had been planning on buying some new Yamaha monitors this week but held back so I could try the ADAMs with the FM3. I may try some hi cut/low cut adjustments to see if that changes things. But again, not a major issue and not the fault of the FM3. The monitors to me almost sound like they have a blown speaker which I know is not the case as I bought them new and have never played anything loud through them.

I want to be blown away by something newer and more up-to-date than my trusty old AX8 but for me, it looks like it will take me a few days to play around with it and my monitors.

One other thing that I need to check is whether my FM3 is up to date with its firmware. I'm not sure where to find this info so I have put the kettle on and I am going to RTFM. :) As people suggest when they are being ever so kind. LOL

My review will be on going! LOL

Take the time to dial in your own tones. No factory preset is going to account well for your personal preferences created and refined over time.

Additionally, now that you're in the land of the living, keep in mind that things change over time.

I don't recall if Frank did his factory preset videos with the FM3 or Axe Fx, but in any case the first one was done more than a year ago (maybe 2), I think. Firmware updates change things.

Your unit may be on an older firmware, too... Or have older factory presets.

Read the link @Greg Ferguson provided.

After going through all of the presets (guitar in hand) as I watched the excellent @FSM showcasing all of the presets (prest1 to 50 etc) in his video series I initially felt a bit disappointed. I bought my FM3 used, so it could be simple things like the previous owner has switched off a drive pedal or altered a delay in a setting but mine does not sound exactly like Frank's! More play time is needed to adjust things. So I will look into this a bit more.

At the moment I am still more of an AX8 fan. But in the defence of the FM3 I don't have a clue how to use the foot pedals or much else. I can adjust things almost blindfolded on my trusty AX8. So this will be a steep learning curve to climb.

Soundwise, I have a few go-to presets on (in?) my AX8 that I prefer over a lot of the stuff I have played in the factory FM presets. But again, not a problem, I can program my settings over. I have made comments that I have never been that happy with my ADAM T5V's and I hoped that plugging into the FM3 might change my opinion. They still sound raspy,farty and harsh in some settings. I had been planning on buying some new Yamaha monitors this week but held back so I could try the ADAMs with the FM3. I may try some hi cut/low cut adjustments to see if that changes things. But again, not a major issue and not the fault of the FM3. The monitors to me almost sound like they have a blown speaker which I know is not the case as I bought them new and have never played anything loud through them.

I want to be blown away by something newer and more up-to-date than my trusty old AX8 but for me, it looks like it will take me a few days to play around with it and my monitors.

One other thing that I need to check is whether my FM3 is up to date with its firmware. I'm not sure where to find this info so I have put the kettle on and I am going to RTFM. :) As people suggest when they are being ever so kind. LOL

My review will be on going! LOL
The AX8 is still a great unit. Don’t be surprised if you have some favorite sounds on it that remain your favorites! Like I often say, my Super Reverb will be 60 years old in 2024, and it still sounds as great as it did when it was a “current” model. Good tone never goes out of style.

Reset the FM3 and spend some time with it. You’ll likely become as attached to it as you are the AX8.

@Greg Ferguson and @unix-guy thank you for your input.

My unit seems to have a lot of non-factory stuff on it too so I will do a backup and then start again as suggested.

I have just been looking at adverts for new studio monitors as well as new FRFR speakers so I will give them further thoughts once I do a factory reset and make sure that I am on the latest firmware.

I know Fractal is the best so I am certain that I will get a great sound soon enough.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Brett

PS. Thank you to @Rick also, You must have been typing at the same time as myself.

My advice would be to never judge a unit by it’s presets. The easiest way in your situation would be to choose the same amp and cab IR you have on your best AX8 patch to compare with the FM3. I had the AX8 and it’s not that far behind the FM3 in terms of tone. But The feel is way better with the FM3. In the end, stick with the unit that inspire you the most.

I followed the advice and after doing a back up I wiped the unit clean. I uploaded the new firmware along with Dyna Cabs so I am ready to get stuck in with a fresh new starting point. A unit like new, factory fresh.

This is not to say that the previous owner had done anything wrong, but I just thought it best to start with a clean sheet.

It looks like it will be Saturday before I get a chance to try it all out as we have company all day tomorrow and then friends over for a meal tomorrow night. :mad:

Dont - Trust anyone elses presets
Do - Mostly trust the FAS presets (bonus points if you add your own IRs... I always found the factory ones too dark for my taste, easy switch)

By far the highest hitrate of "good presets" comes from the stock FAS presets these days. They're not all winners but quite often I would hit a few winners back to back and its just night and day compared to 90% of stuff out there, insanely good presets imo!

Having updated the firmware, which I don't really know if it was necessary, and added the Dyna Cabs (beyond my skills or dodgy ears) I have to say that I am really starting to get into my FM3.

It is tricky to describe a sound so people will understand but my AX8 sounds different to my FM3. I think @Nathan M. hit the nail on the head with his comment about it having a more modern sound. It is more vibrant. If you have ever driven a car with a broken spring or a worn-out set of shock absorbers and then jumped into a brand new car that would compare to the differences that I am feeling.

I loved the footswitch arrangement on the AX8, along with the dials to tweak in an instance. So simple and easy to use. If you wanted preset number 5, push button number five. Easy. Etc...

The switching with 3-foot switches has me pulling my hair out (what is left of it). I am still in the infancy of clean, crunch, and lead types of preset building. But in time I will figure it out. Or buy some sort of additional footswitch system.

My only gripe is nothing to do with the FM3 but more so where I live. I just wish that I could increase my volume levels a bit to hear it a bit louder. Sometimes when I play in the sitting room I can hear my guitar pick as well as the quiet noises emanating from my monitors.

But I feel like I will have a happy relationship with my FM3. I am starting to want to play guitar again. What more can I say? :)

The great thing about Fractal is how they work to keep the features in the firmware synchronized. The current firmware on the FX3 is amazing and should make it to the FM units, which, when it does, is going to blow people’s minds. It’s another big leap forward, and you’re poised to enjoy it.

As far as playing volume, we keep a quiet house too. Volume level is important when adjusting your sound so it carries over to a live situation, but a good set of headphones are still enjoyable, and there are some tricks in the current generation hardware and software that help make it more fun when that’s all you have. See https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...ls#Headphones_and_In_Ear_Monitoring_.28IEM.29 for more information about using them with the modeler.

@Greg Ferguson Thank you once again for your comments and advice. You Sir are one of the Fractal stars, I always appreciate your helpful comments so thank you very much.

I am going to have a look at headphones to see what options there are.

However, in the New Year, the builders are coming to fit new windows in the loft so once they are finished I may make myself a fully insulated and soundproofed room. The loft has a staircase up to it, it has a fully boarded-out floor, and will be a nice place to be. And even though I won't be LOUD, I will be able to be a bit louder away from all ears.

Another thing that I figured out today is that "some" presets on the axechange for the FM9 and AXE 3 can with a bit of manipulation be used in the FM3. Deleting some blocks and moving inputs and output about helped but I found it a good starting point for a core tone.

And even though I won't be LOUD, I will be able to be a bit louder away from all ears.
The thing to remember is that loudness changes with distance. Sitting a few feet from small speakers can be as loud as standing 10 feet from big speakers but without the room shaking volume, especially in a treated room.

Another thing that I figured out today is that "some" presets on the axechange for the FM9 and AXE 3 can with a bit of manipulation be used in the FM3. Deleting some blocks and moving inputs and output about helped but I found it a good starting point for a core tone.
Yes. Fractal tries to keep the systems able to load presets from each model. Firmware and the hardware differences can get in the way, but if the FM units are capable of running new features in the firmware on the FX3, those features will be ported to the other units and then the presets will run correctly again.

The thing to remember is that loudness changes with distance. Sitting a few feet from small speakers can be as loud as standing 10 feet from big speakers but without the room shaking volume, especially in a treated room.
I should start a thread "What is a treated room?". LOL

At the moment my monitors are too close to me, not at ear height, and not in a permanent position. Sometimes they are downstairs in the sitting and other times upstairs in a bedroom. The loft seems like the prime location for me and them!

I just spotted this old thread and thought that I would update it.

A week or two (or three) back I was considering selling my FM3 and replacing it with a decent combo. Maybe something along the lines of a Marshall Bluesbreaker or similar. An amp that can get some pretty nice tones that I would enjoy.

And then the Beta firmware came along. And now the latest update of that!

It is my birthday very soon, and my wife asked me, "What do you want for your birthday, a new amp perhaps?"
"No my dear", I replied, I have everything that I need.

And that my Fractal friends sums it up. What more do you need? Nothing. The FM3 does everything I ask of it. Perfect.

Back
Top Bottom