I am new and Thinking about getting the Axe-Fx II XL+ For Black Friday or should I?

You might also consider the AX8. I'm in a 10' x 10' x 10' (3m x 3m x 3m) room, so space is at a premium (I do have a rack with recording gear where an Axe FX would fit): But the brilliant layout of the pedal switching and all in one convenience of the AX8 more than outweigh the additional features for me. Theoretically, I thought I needed the USB recording/reamping and dual amps. In practice, though, the SPDIF and FX return work seamlessly for recording/reamping, and the X/Y switching accomplishes amp or channel changes within a patch. The unit is tucked back where I can switch patches/effects by foot, but isn't cluttering up desk space. Editing is done on AX8 Edit. The cabling goes to a patch bay: so it's ready to play any time, or go out on the town at a moment's notice. The firmware is called Quantum for good reason: it does sound that much better.

What kind of flat frequency response headphones do I need or has anyone come across that work and sound great with this AXE FX 2?
Since I will be using to play and record in a aparment

Is there a way to modify the headphone within the AXE FX 2 for shaping the tones to fit better in the mix?

If you get the AXE, remember to remove the protective plastic cover from the display.
Many in here doesn't know it...but it WILL make the axe sound a lot better ;)

You might also consider the AX8. I'm in a 10' x 10' x 10' (3m x 3m x 3m) room, so space is at a premium (I do have a rack with recording gear where an Axe FX would fit): But the brilliant layout of the pedal switching and all in one convenience of the AX8 more than outweigh the additional features for me. Theoretically, I thought I needed the USB recording/reamping and dual amps. In practice, though, the SPDIF and FX return work seamlessly for recording/reamping, and the X/Y switching accomplishes amp or channel changes within a patch. The unit is tucked back where I can switch patches/effects by foot, but isn't cluttering up desk space. Editing is done on AX8 Edit. The cabling goes to a patch bay: so it's ready to play any time, or go out on the town at a moment's notice. The firmware is called Quantum for good reason: it does sound that much better.

+1. I have an Axe/Fx II and while it is the best modeler out there, without a pedal controller it's not much fun to play through. The MFC is ideal but pricey. I use a Behringer FCB1010. It's cheap and effective but the programming model, even with optional chips/firmware is less than ideal and it makes the system more complex. The AX8 isn't quite as powerful as the Axe/FX but it's likely you wouldn't miss the extra features and the convenience of an all-in-one unit is hard to overstate. I got to demo the AX8 last year at the LA Amp show and was extremely impressed. That's what I'd be getting if I were buying today.

Another ex-11Rack owner here. Gave it, with the software, to a friend who needed Pro Tools. Avid's lack of support for the 11Rack is an embarrassment. You'll see a completely different level of support with the Axe FX, and it's a far better product.

I used an 11 Rack too before I got the AFX. While I got some good tones out of it, the flexibility of the AFX blows it out of the water. And of course the AFX does sound much better.

I love my AxeFX. It was the best gear purchase of my career, and I spend more time playing than ever before. It's the only piece of equipment that I've ever owned that I am 100% satisfied with. As for support, or getting questions answered, you are already in the right place :) This forum is a fantastic resource for information and tips.

I bought mine with the bundle (XL+ and MFC-101) deal that they did just ahead of this (same price, so I'm happy). I can say that coming from a "never going digital" mindset, once I saw bands like Metallica, Deftones, and Coheed and Cambria using them live, I figured I was being close minded. I'm soooooo glad I went in on this. It's an amazing and really satisfying piece of gear and I'm now in the "sell all the things" camp. I'm keeping a few pedals, but by and large, letting my other gear go. It has made me finally realize and appreciate the tones I can get out of my guitars and pickup selector switches. I'm no longer held to the single tone I'm forced into with my analog amp and using pedals to try and get an "X" tone.

In short, it's worth it. ;)

Hi I live in a quiet amparment
And I have the 11 Rack and want to upgrade

Axe-Fx II XL+
Now I do have headphones that work pretty good with the 11 Rack

Ok here is what I have
To work with
as this moment

KRK Rokit Powered 5" Powered Studio Monitor

headphones I have Sennheiser HD 280 pro 64

What I have should I still get it or not ?

Yes xl + go for it you will be well ELATED...
GO FOR IT

Get yourself the Axe you won't regret it, but, as a European I'd recommend boycotting Black Friday!! That sort of uncontrolled consumption thing will end the world....

I had an 11R while I was on the wait list for the AxeFXII when it first came out. I got used to it over those couple of months time. When my name came up on the list I bought it figuring that I would just sell the AxeFXII on e-Bay for a nice profit and stick with the 11R. When it came in I did an A/B test and within about 20 minutes the 11R was boxed up and on e-Bay. That was with the AxeFXII firmware at like v3 (not Quantum, the original v3). Its not even the same box as it was then and I can't even imagine the difference between the two now.

You can always buy new headphones later on down the line if you want....that is true if you keep the 11R. If they sound good with the 11R they will sound good with the AxeFXII.

OK, the negative side of purchasing an AXE FX II XL Plus. Someone has to say it.
Your wife will leave you, your friends will abandon you, your pets will starve and your neighbors may never see you again. All this is because you will want to use it every waking moment of the day and night. Why, because it is that darn good. Every time I create a preset, I want to play it for hours. Then I sit and create another preset and the process starts again. It is by far the best piece of gear I have purchased. It is a lot of money, but I came from a $2000.00 Triaxis, that could not do 1/4th of what my XL Plus does. Even my band members compliment me every rehearsal and show.

What kind of flat frequency response headphones do I need or has anyone come across that work and sound great with this AXE FX 2?
Since I will be using to play and record in a aparment

Is there a way to modify the headphone within the AXE FX 2 for shaping the tones to fit better in the mix?

For headphone monitoring, I utilize a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 64 ohm (your current set) in conjunction with a Mackie Big Knob monitor controller. I prefer this pair to the numerous headphones in my collection (AKG 270, 240DF, 240- AT ATH-M50 and others) for its superior translation to various studio monitors and audio systems (Mackie HR824, JBL LSR305, Harmon-Kardon Logic7).

With regard to the prospect of purchasing an AxeFX: compared to the XL+, the 11R is a decent modeler with an anaemic feature set; for further incentive, these holiday prices boggle the mind (limited to US sales, I suspect):

https://shop.fractalaudio.com/ZX16_Holidays_2016_s/67.htm

Get yourself the Axe you won't regret it, but, as a European I'd recommend boycotting Black Friday!! That sort of uncontrolled consumption thing will end the world....

As another European I'm hoping G66 will do a Black Friday sale. Things in general are way too expensive in Europe so I would be able to afford an Ax-8 a lot sooner!

Back
Top Bottom