I’m never using a 3rd party IR ever again. Ever. For anything.

As usual, I am in the minority because I see no reason, especially if you are relying on music for income to use a zillion IRS.
Just because you can store a zillion does not mean you need to use a zillion. I guess these modelers these days have spoiled many. Like how many times have you swapped out speakers or used different speaker cabs in your real amps?
Just sayin, the answer is be smart about it an realistic.
Just a minority opinion of course! I also keep a list in excel of preset numbers with cab slots. Easy enough to update if I do change something.
Which actually I hardly do.
Yup. I have way too many 3rd party cabs, live I probably use 2, maybe 3 at the very most. I usually use a Friedman cab, a DLX verb cab, or occasionally sometimes a ac/morgan/matchless. Recording is a different story.

Yup. I have way too many 3rd party cabs, live I probably use 2, maybe 3 at the very most. I usually use a Friedman cab, a DLX verb cab, or occasionally sometimes a ac/morgan/matchless. Recording is a different story.
Recording I get. Skys the limit. I have a few hundred 2 notes cabs.

Although ultimately you’re right, it was my fault in the end, the fragility of how the FM9 architecture is designed will indeed prevent me from using or purchasing any more 3rd party IRs. As explained upthread this can be thought out a little better to prevent users such as myself from shooting our toes off. I’ve actually already deleted them off my axefxlll so in sound creation this can never happen again.
Do what works for you. But the drama over this is pretty funny.

3rd party IR's don't magically appear on different units. The simple solution (not that you seem to want one) is to export a bundle. The editor will let you put the IR in an empty spot of your choosing. The issue is you being careless on a mission critical procedure.

In the OP's case, and in many previous issues, it has nothing to do with zillions of IRs. It's a single IR that only existed on the source system.

In any case, what works for you isn't what works for everyone...
I was actually commenting on the much discussed issue over the years and some here pertaining to the zillion IR slots and confusion with them. But OK, I see I should have elaborated.

Do what works for you. But the drama over this is pretty funny.

3rd party IR's don't magically appear on different units. The simple solution (not that you seem to want one) is to export a bundle. The editor will let you put the IR in an empty spot of your choosing. The issue is you being careless on a mission critical procedure.
I have already owned up my part of this. Yea I should have actually checked the preset, although I was running short on time. Still, again for the folks in the cheap seats:
1 the FM9 imports a preset with no IR knowing it will make no sound. Zero notification of that.
2. Cab block passes nothing if no IR loaded. Why? Why not just pass whatever is fed into it unaffected? That I can quickly diagnose and rectify. No sound at all can be a million different things.
File management notwithstanding, organization of IRs on the FM9 can definitely use some updating. Even if I had some of those IRs on the FM9, who knows if I have THAT exact IR? Wouldn’t it be better if the FM9 warned upon import the preset has no IR found on the system?
Why not make all preset export bundles with the inability to duplicate IRs on a given unit? What’s the point of export preset if it chances this situation? This may be the 3rd preset I’m my life I imported from my AXEFX. Who is thinking export bundle? I’m thinking export preset and be done with it. I did know about the bundle thing due to the GOT from last holiday season but typically when you look to import something it’s a preset, not something called a bundle.
Yes I admit liability here but it doesn’t negate the fact some of these things can be better thought out.

1 the FM9 imports a preset with no IR knowing it will make no sound. Zero notification of that.
Not really correct. The preset includes a Cab block. The Cab block points to an IR slot. The preset doesn't include an IR, so all presets import with no IR.

That's the point of the bundle...

some of these things can be better thought out
I don't think anyone disagrees... But right now, it's what we have.

Not really correct. The preset includes a Cab block. The Cab block points to an IR slot. The preset doesn't include an IR, so all presets import with no IR.

That's the point of the bundle...

I don't think anyone disagrees... But right now, it's what we have.
Noted. I’d like to see all exports just be bundles (and revert to calling them exported presets). IRs aren’t particularly large files. If the FM9 recognizes the file, simply don’t duplicate it. Even if I did check my preset, I’d have to rectify a situation that if better thought out wouldn’t need to be fixed at all. I fully admit the level of devastation is on me, but the failure really could have been avoided with a bit of a better export protocol.

I am. I've narrowed it to a handful that work for everything.

I'm sure there is a valid reason but I see no need for thousands of IR slots.

Same for me, I will never, ever use a 3rd part…

Oh, is that a new late 80’s Marshall JCM impulse pack? Pretty sure I already have 5 of these. I surely don’t need it but adds to cart.

Same for me, I will never, ever use a 3rd part…

Oh, is that a new late 80’s Marshall JCM impulse pack? Pretty sure I already have 5 of these. I surely don’t need it but adds to cart.
Why yes it is. Better get in on the sale, even though it’ll only sound .0333476% different than the ones already included.

I need to keep things a little simpler. I am wearing a lot of hats lately. Each hat the job has to get done. I’m trying to bake the same cake in 3 kitchens. I need all my spices to match when it comes to this. My pals special frosting in kitchen one destroys the cake in kitchen 2 unless I’m careful. I don’t always have time to be careful. I just need it to work.
Ok, now I‘m hungry AF. No thanks, I‘m already too fat. :)

I understand the issue, but also, being that we all know how this works, this was an avoidable circumstance. I am not trying to take away how frustrating it was for the OP, I’ve been there. But this just solidifies the point that you need to take care when changing anything from device to device.

Referencing IRs by something other than slot would make so much sense. This way your presets won't break if you move IRs around in their slots.

Similarly the system could warn if you have a cab with no IR available.

Referencing IRs by something other than slot would make so much sense. This way your presets won't break if you move IRs around in their slots.

Similarly the system could warn if you have a cab with no IR available.
And if you're importing a preset, it would know if you already have the IRs it uses, and if so, where they are, so it'd just hook them up automatically.

This is pretty huge in my book.

AxeEdit could also offer to dedupe your IRs, without breaking your presets, also pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom