I’m embarrassed to ask- Changing Strings

I pull the string taut, then put a slight bend in the string at approximately the next tuner past the tuner post I'm winding. I then insert the string in the post to the bend and start winding. This generally yields three winds when tuned to pitch .

I use the method shown in the video @paranoid posted (#20). I never have tuning issues, string breaks, or premature string death. Been doing it that way for over 50 years. Obviously not on my locking tuners, or PRS guitars with the locking mass tuners.

This is my jam. I am so super particular about this particular silly detail so I always trim strings at a distance of two pegs. It gives a perfect wrap down the peg every time regardless of tuner type or peg arrangement. Untidy headstocks make me twitch. I've caught one too many stray strings under my fingernails in the past.

Witness the anal retention.
stringwraps.jpg

This is one of the reasons I don't change my strings very often... ;-) I really like the way Joe B's tech folds it over, will have to try that next go round.

I normally do the first part the way he does - I leave about enough extra string for the next peg (a bit more on my Strats), and then hold the string down above the nut so it will always wrap downwards. I'd always heard you don't want to cross-wrap because the point where the string crosses itself can snap due to the pressure (especially the thinner strings). But in the video it doesn't look like there's actually any cross point... and I also like that he keeps it out of the nut until there's enough tension, I assume that's so it doesn't grind the slot and make it wider or deeper.

Of course, locking tuners are the way to go and are on my main PRS (513) and main Strat. I have an extra set around that I never put on my 2nd PRS, maybe it's time to do it!

I use the method shown in the video @paranoid posted (#20). I never have tuning issues, string breaks, or premature string death. Been doing it that way for over 50 years. Obviously not on my locking tuners, or PRS guitars with the locking mass tuners.

The three fingers at the twelfth works for the fat E but what’s the adjustment as you move on to the skinnier strings?

The 2nd peg option that the Taylor video will be the one I try next.....IF I ever break a string again.

I've got a '90's PRS with the locking wing tuners. It's a great concept except that I can never get the 1st and 3rd strings to behave. I always wind up having to twist those two a little more, and it winds up losing that nice balanced look.

But it does NOT go out of tune, no matter how ugly it looks. I'm happy to have that.

Back
Top Bottom