Humidity question

Gilesy

Inspired
Hi all

We are enjoying some unusually good and steady weather in the UK at the moment. it has been consistently 30°C / 86°F for 2 - 3 weeks, and the humidity has been higher than usual, varying from 60 - 99% throughout the day and night (at least according to my Dark Skies app, rather than a measurement I have taken). I am sure you'll all laugh at these numbers given your own more extreme climates!!

I recently bought a very nice Martin 000-42, as discussed on the forum, which understandably I want to look after. I have bought a D'Addario Humiditrak, which is a bluetooth thermometer and humidity gauge which sits inside your case, with the guitar. I have stored the guitar continuously in the case with the lid shut.

I understand the undesirability of very high / low temperatures on the guitar body (in fact, we had a very dry winter this year, and my other acoustic shrunk so much that the screws holding the volume and tone control panel in popped from their threads as the body contracted).

I have inserted some of those disposable desiccant packets into the case too, to help control the humidity.

The Humiditrak, which may not be super accurate, is showing very consistent temperature (21 - 23°C / 70 - 73°F) and humidity (61 - 63%) inside the case. the alert on the Humiditrak has been raised when the humidity is over 60% (you can change the alert level, this is the default).

Here's the questions:
1) Has anybody got experience of the accuracy of the Humiditrak?
2) Should I be at all concerned at an 'in case' humidity of 62%?
3) Are the desiccant packet going to make any difference at all?
4) Anything else you would raise?

thanks in advance
Gilesy

Hi all

Surely some answersto my questions? Appreciate your views.
You may have to give a question on acoustic guitars a bit more time here...? But in the meantime, what does Martin's (or other acoustic brands) website say about humidity?

Good point TSJ - I am certain though there will be good knowledge in the group.

Martin recommends 45-55% so even lower!

Any thoughts from acoustic players as to whether 63% humidity will be problem for my guitar?

thanks Gilesy

I would have thought 63% would be a borderline issue. 40-60% is considered the normal range of humidity with 50 being the ideal. You're just outside that normal range. Personally, I would be a bit uncomfortable with an expensive acoustic guitar sitting in a 63% humidity environment inside a case. But I'm a stress head with that stuff!!

hi, for my part I never leave my instruments in their cases, I prefer to control the temperature and humidity of the room this also allows the instrument to gradually undergo the undesirable effects of the changes of seasons.

Summer is a dehumidifier, and winter is a humidifier, after more than 30 years I have never had a major problem,

If your environment is between 40% and 50% humidity, that's great!
basically! I only use the case for outings.

Back
Top Bottom