Humidifier treatment for Acoustics

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
Figured I'd just dedicate a thread to this topic. I recently acquired a new Taylor 224ce Acoustic. I have never used any kind of humidifers in my living space or ever for any of my electrics all these years. I do live in a pretty dry climate esp in the canadian winters but for the most part my guitars that i've acquired (electrics mainly) are already climatized for the most part. Now that I have a more 'premium' acoustic I'm thinking I should give it more proper care for the long term moving forward. I'd prefer to leave acoustic out on a stand since its just beautiful to look at of course...feels like it'd be a shame to leave in case when not in use but there's the rub. It'd probs be better for it in the case with a case humidifier solution. What are you all using? recommendations? D'addario humidipak good enough?

Solid body guitars aren't affected by the humidity as much as acoustics, though my Strat necks get pretty bitchy as the seasons change so I have to touch them up. Acoustics, being a lot thinner wood in the body, with lots of bracing, can develop cracks or warping if we don't have a pretty consistent humidity so I try to keep an eye on the moisture in the room. I have a '69 Martin D35 that I've owned since the early 70s, and barely caught it in time to avoid damage when the top began to bulge because of the dry air so that made me pay more attention.

I've used the humidipaks many times, and they work well, but, unfortunately, "out of sight, out of mind" applies and invariably I'll forget because they last for a couple months, and I'll open the case and find a shriveled bag of desiccant huddling under the headstock or in the soundhole.

So, I switched to room humidifiers. I've been using the AirCare table-top unit for a couple years and like it. It's an evaporative humidifier so it doesn't cause minerals in the water to coat everything in the room, and it's pretty quiet. I'd strongly recommend NOT considering the ultra-sonic humidifiers because the minerals will go EVERYWHERE in the room, including inside your modelers and computer monitor and stick to the display causing it to become cloudy. I'll open a drawer or closet and still find that stuff on things.

I also have two small humidity sensors/meters in the room, one on my desk and the other on the other side of the room next to the guitars and cases, and glance at them every couple days to see what they say, and have the weather app conveniently placed on my phone and iPad, and the weather humidity complication on my Apple Watch so I have no real excuse for not being aware of what is going on humidity-wise.

Figured I'd just dedicate a thread to this topic. I recently acquired a new Taylor 224ce Acoustic. I have never used any kind of humidifers in my living space or ever for any of my electrics all these years. I do live in a pretty dry climate esp in the canadian winters but for the most part my guitars that i've acquired (electrics mainly) are already climatized for the most part. Now that I have a more 'premium' acoustic I'm thinking I should give it more proper care for the long term moving forward. I'd prefer to leave acoustic out on a stand since its just beautiful to look at of course...feels like it'd be a shame to leave in case when not in use but there's the rub. It'd probs be better for it in the case with a case humidifier solution. What are you all using? recommendations? D'addario humidipak good enough?
I also live in a dry climate, Colorado.

I installed the TaylorSense in my Taylor and it helps for monitoring humidity. I like to keep my guitars out of their cases for reachability.

If the humidity starts to drop towards the low range recommended by Taylor, I put the acoustics in their cases with humidipaks.

I keep my Taylor 12 string in its case as its not played that much with Humidipacks in the case, Also put the Taylor Sense in it as well so I can keep an eye on it. My Koa t5 lives on the wall, in general my room is pretty good humidity wise once the heat kicks on though and it gets a bit drier I will run a humidifier.

I picked up a simple digital hygrometer off amazon and it’s measuring at 40% RH in my main space where my guitars are. According to Taylor the recommended range is 45-55% RH. I did pick up the Humidipack kit also but also considering adding a humidifier to my living space to bump that RH just a little bit. It'll get drier too in the next few months here as weather gets colder. It may be a placebo thing but at the guitar shop when i picked up my acoustic...they have a climate controlled room with good RH. You can feel it immediately when you walk in. I swear the guitar played a little differently vs now in my space over the last few days

Last edited:
Yep, the dry air from the furnace is brutal during WI winters so when we replaced the old furnace I had a whole house humidifier added at the same time. Programmable, consistent and not only good for the musical instruments, but better for our health, comfort and well-being.

I have a Taylor 810 from the late 90's, and a vintage Guild. Both are kept in their cases 24/7 unless I am playing them. I lived in a very dry climate and no in a more humid environment. I tried everything, using humidipak's for a long time. What I use now is a combination of two products. I have old tube things (they are green, I can't recall who made them) and they just need to be soaked in water. I use them in the top of the case behind the headstock. For the body I used the D'addario Sponge Guitar Humidifiers. This combination is not overly expensive and seems to work well.
My main issue when living in a dry climate is, and I am not sure if this is true, but if you own a guitar in a dry climate that was manufactured in a wet climate, keeping it stable can be difficult. Not sure if that is true or not but I know I had a very hard time keeping my Taylor stable in the dry climate.

What a timely thread to be started - I've been doing lots of research on this topic.
I have 4 higher end accoustics (which I've never had until recently), so I'm concerned about keeping them safe during the cold winter here in New England (as the forced hot air system is now pumping at my house).

I currently have a small humidifier in the room (just happen to already own it), along with a small device (amazon) where I can watch the humidity % throughout the day.
I'm targeting to keep my room between 45-55% all winter. This small room humidifier is more than enough - I find I need to turn it on and off throughout the day (because it works really well I guess).

Where I landed for long term though - I'm getting a humidifier system for my entire house (about $600 and it will be connected to my heating system). It just seemed like a good option for me - just adjust as needed and I'll never have to worry about putting those small devices in and out of my guitar cases.

If you google enough (on any topic I guess) you will read some horror stories of people over humidifying, then bringing them into a room with a fire place (super dry) and getting cracks within hours. Some of these stories are - "i was strumming the guitar in my living room near the fire place....forgot I left it there...next day it was cracked" Of course there are always extreme stories, but the point is - I am just trying to keep my entire house consitent all year so I never have to worry about it.

I'm in the same boat since last week. Also bought a hygrometer (39%, CO), and started with the MusicNomad Humitar, keeping the Taylor in the case. The first day I checked, it hadn't changed the humidity level in the case yet :-( (hygrometer is in the case of course).

Like this? I think it's called a 'Damp It'.View attachment 129586
@Chewie5150 Its good you are doing this now. I cannot prove whether I did it or reverb store in Arizona did it-But my NEW Martin OM28e has a 1 1/2" crack (finish only but it is NEW) halfway between bridge and end of guitar. I was really pissed. My house is always 55 +. I just didn't notice it until it was over 30 days. The company denied everything of course.
Martin makes one like tis but it's fleshy type color. works well but goes dry too quick for me. I have probably 10 different types of humidifiers-OCD.

Nice guitar-looks fabulous-Good Luck with it!

@Chewie5150 Its good you are doing this now. I cannot prove whether I did it or reverb store in Arizona did it-But my NEW Martin OM28e has a 1 1/2" crack (finish only but it is NEW) halfway between bridge and end of guitar. I was really pissed. My house is always 55 +. I just didn't notice it until it was over 30 days. The company denied everything of course.
Martin makes one like tis but it's fleshy type color. works well but goes dry too quick for me. I have probably 10 different types of humidifiers-OCD.

Nice guitar-looks fabulous-Good Luck with it!
thanks! yeah i figure I should do this from the start. In the past i didnt care much about the humidity as much...my acoustics were just campfire level guitars but this new guitar is an investment to be cared for.

I use humidifier. Before I used humidi packs (Planet waves, now days I thing Daddario's same)

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/humidification/automatic-humidipak/

Also now days there is similar humidi packs https://store.bovedainc.com/collections/boveda-for-wood-instrument

Those humidi packs are good if you keep your guitar in your guitars own hard case. I keep my guitar on the wall hanging.

Now many years I have room humidifier and for me it is best and easiest way to keep humidi good level (it's good also for humans ;D )

I use Stadler Form's Oscar humidifier (very quiet and water humidi don't make floor slippery or wet etc. and keeps room humidity good level)

https://www.stadlerform.com/en/humidifier/oskar-white-o-020 (I have same but black color).

There is lot's of different models in Stadler or some other brands like Ufox etc.

When I set those guitar holders, I didn't put them too high on the wall cause air is warmer and dryer there. My grandchild's
are interested my guitars so I play guitar's with them and they don't touch them without me.

Back
Top Bottom