Humbuster Cable to balanced TRS Mixer Inputs

Taco

Hi everybody,

Maybe a stupid question, but I want/need to connect the unbalanced Jack/Phono Outputs 2 of my AXE-FX 2 XL to my Mixer. The Mixer's inputs are balanced TRS Jack/Phono. Can I use/connect humbuster cables for this ? Does it make sense ? Will the hum cancelling work ? Is it better to use standard mono/TS jack/phono cables ?

Thanks for your advice,

Taco

Mixer inputs can accept regular unbalanced cables. You can use Humbuster cables, but the TS end would go to the mixer anyway, and I don’t think there would be much difference.

Follow-up question. Even with humbuster cables and an 8 channel Ebtech Hum Eliminators and a Hum plug, I still get 60 cycle him and weird whinning from various modelers going into two Radial Headlights (with isos) that go into a Mackie Mixer into a Samson speaker switcher.

Axe3 generally is quiet, but I can't get rid of the hum from my HeadRush and Atomic 12 - even with the Hum Eliminators.

Is it ok to use the humbuster (TRS) To go from the Headlight or Hum E into the inputsbof the Mixer (TS) Even though the inputs may not be outputs?

What about using the humbuster from the modeler outputs into the Mackie? I assume these work with any output.

Any recommendations on computer noise (those weird alien signals)?

Finally, anyone recommend a small mixer that is extremely quiet, and isn't susceptible to 60 cycle hum?

Follow-up question. Even with humbuster cables and an 8 channel Ebtech Hum Eliminators and a Hum plug, I still get 60 cycle him and weird whinning from various modelers going into two Radial Headlights (with isos) that go into a Mackie Mixer into a Samson speaker switcher.

How is the signal getting into the modelers?

Signal chain is Line 6 Relay into a Boss Tuner then into a Radial Iso switch box where I can switch between my pedalbox (via FX send/return) or bypassing the pedal.board into 2 Headlights.

Headlight Input 1 can mute or switch between Axe, Helix, KPA, and Bias - those go into the 8 channel Hum E.

Tuner Oit goes to input of Headlight 2. Tuner Oit goes to Apollo Twin. The other outputs go to Ipad, Atomic 12, HeadRush, and Randall RM22 into an Ox and then via Spdif into Apollo.

Even going direct into each modeler Huns (everything bypassed)

Radial devices have ISOs which avoids hum normally.

Some of these devices are hooked up to the MBP via USB for editing (Axe-edit, rigmanager, etc).

Where is the Mackie in all of that?

On the input side:

Do you have the grounds lifted on the outs of the headlight that feeds the modelers?

If not, try it.

If that doesn't work, try unplugging the input cables to the modelers that are not selected when you are using one that hums/that is noisy.

On the output:

Are you using XLR outs from the monitors? If so, do you have the grounds lifted? If the answers are "yes" and "no", respectively, try lifting the grounds.

If you're not using XLRs, again, unplug the outs from all but one modeler.

Last edited:
Ground Control to Major Tom - Yes, all lifts are operational on the Hotshot/Bigshot and Headlights.

Balanced cables/humbusters everywhere that accepted balanced
XLR/TRS out from Mackie to Samson Speaker switcher - balanced cables.

XLR from Apollo to Samson

Same with Samson to Monitors (Equator D5s and CLR)

Straight into the Apollo into Console into Logic and out to monitors - just that weird computer alien sounds.

I'm going to try my old ADAT 1/4 to 1/4 snake from Headlights to Hum E and see if that helps.

Wiring is new (2004) and electrician was given strict instructions to make sure everything was properly grounded to avoid 60 cycle Hum.

Thanks for your help.

I had a similar problem, albeit with a FAR less complex setup. My signal comes out of a Relay G90 (using all three outputs) and goes to an Axe II, and Axe III, and a Helix Rack. Outputs from those - all XLR, ground-lifted - go to a Focusrite 18i20.

I would get the noise (the whining) you mention in the two Axes (oddly, never in the Helix), even if nothing else was powered on. Turned out to be input loops; if I went direct (cable from guitar) to any of the units, that unit was quiet.

So I built a three-in, three-out iso box, and route the Relay outputs through that. This did the trick.

I'm wondering if the Radial/Ebtech are expecting standard, and not humbuster cables.

humbusters are only from outputs of modelers to the Mackie. Otherwise unbalanced except from Mackie to Samson to Speakers.

I'm going to try switching out the Radials for my extras. Maybe one of them went south.

Back
Top Bottom