Humbucker for HSS Squier -> F-spaced or not ?

lauke-lux

Fractal Fanatic
Hello, actually plan a cosmetic modification on one of the two VM Squiers I own. Surprising guitars BTW for low price, at the condition you change the PU (allthough the surf strat VM I own was really amazing right out of the box as is, but with lollar's it became just that bit better I needed).

Not wanting to put too much money in this adventure, I'm looking for a second hand bridge PU "ready to rock" (let's say southern rock, Lynyrd, ZZ, etc styles). Bare Knuckles and/or Dimarzios seem to be the good deal but looking in the adds I wonder if it is really mandatory to use F-Spaced 53mm pickups or will any standard humbucker PU do the job ? Any return on experience from other forum members ? Any advice will be welcome, even other PU ideas to enlarge range for searching.

I prefer using the Fender spacing for pole magnet pickups with Fender string spacing.

I have an F spaced Suhr Doug Aldrich in my HSS Charvel.

Fender uses 2 different string spacings. Vintage series USA guitars use the wider vintage 2-7/32" spacing (about 56.4 mm). USA standard, Deluxe, Mexico standard, and Squier guitars use the narrower modern spacing of 2-1/16" (about 52.4 mm). Either way, the wider F-spaced pickups will give better pole alignment. Standard Gibson style humbucker pole spacing is about 49 mm for comparison, but different pickup makers use slightly different spacings. The alignment doesn't have to be perfect since the magnetic field is wider than the pole itself.

check out this site. http://www.manliusguitar.com/ The guy is a master pickup builder. His pickups are just beautiful and high quality at a great price. Vintage parts and materials

I have an HSS Chinese strat of all things, that has a good action though, and i placed two custom shop big dipper john mayor custom pickups in the neck and middle and a 1969 Gibson T-Top (angus young original back n black) into the bridge. The T-Top was custom made to fit a strat perfectly. the tone of this guitar is incredible. ill put up a tone test soon.

Attachments

• strat pickups.jpg
    strat pickups.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom