Hum noise

Yzaviv

Hello everyone,

Got new amp this week, Two Rock Jet 22W. As titled i have a pretty loud hum noise when connecting the amp to the AXE FX II.

The amp is connected to the AXE FX II as the following (Axe Fx as effect processor only):

Amp Send --> Axe Fx Input1(L)
Amp Return --> Axe Fx Output1(L)

I have tried to connect the amp's Fx loop to some of my pedals and there is NO hum.
Also tried to switch cables, But the Hum still there when connected to the Axe FX.
Also tried to Switch the Fx Loop Tube in the amp, Hum still there.
Also tried to adjust the input level in the Axe Fx I/O Hum still there.

I have told that the Two Rock has a Buffered FX Loop, i don't know if it has something to do with the Hum noise...

I pretty desperate here :-|

Your Help will be very much appreciated !

Sounds about right to me.
Just a couple of thoughts to check out though:
You should be using the rear input1(L), rather than the guitar input on the front. also confirm you have the input selection in the Axe menu to 'Left'.
You could try putting the Axe into 'bypass' and see if you still get the hum.
Also make sure your tube amp and your Axe are powered by the same power bar.
Check your AC power to be sure all is well using one of those electrician's AC socket checker, and try a different room or building if possible.

^This

When you say that you don't have hum with your pedals, have you powered those pedals with an AC adaptor or with batteries? If you did it with batteries, try powering them with an AC adaptor and check if there is hum.
If you get the same amount of hum as you get with the Axe-FX then maybe there is a ground noise problem or it's the inherent hum of the loop.

Remember to use the Output1 Boost/Pad in the I/O Menu to optimize/lower the noise floor.

Alternatively, you can make a Humbuster cable (just one) and connect it from Output1 (L) to the Amp FX Return. That will mitigate the hum caused by ground hum.

Humbuster.jpg

BillyZeppa , I have used input1(L) and in the I/O menu also. Also tried with bypass preset and the him is the same. I didn't understand what do you mean "tube amp and your axe fx are powered by the same power bar" do you mean voltage ? (110/220V)?

FI7x, yes I have tried with pedals that are powered with AC adaptor but the adaptor doesn't have grounded cable, only 2 pins on the cable.. , I have tried Boost/Pad in the I/O with NO change in the hum. I do have a Humbuster cable and I can try to put it in the return of the tube amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyZeppa , I have used input1(L) and in the I/O menu also. Also tried with bypass preset and the him is the same. I didn't understand what do you mean "tube amp and your axe fx are powered by the same power bar" do you mean voltage ? (110/220V)?

FI7x, yes I have tried with pedals that are powered with AC adaptor but the adaptor doesn't have grounded cable, only 2 pins on the cable.. , I have tried Boost/Pad in the I/O with NO change in the hum. I do have a Humbuster cable and I can try to put it in the return of the tube amp

BillyZeppa is talking about that you should use the same power outlet using a multi-outlet power strip (or the same power conditioner) to power the amp and the Axe-FX to minimize the ground hum.

When you use the humbuster cable remember to plug the TRS plug to the Output of the axe and the TS plug to the amp return.

Ok I understand, I did use the same power outlet. Also tried the humbuster cable it did work , no hum noise But this cable eats my signal , it sound like the amp is under a blanket all the sparkle in the sound of the amp in gone ( I did connected the humbuster TRS side to the Axe Fx and the Ts to the Return Amp)

Ok I understand, I did use the same power outlet. Also tried the humbuster cable it did work , no hum noise But this cable eats my signal , it sound like the amp is under a blanket all the sparkle in the sound of the amp in gone ( I did connected the humbuster TRS side to the Axe Fx and the Ts to the Return Amp)

Weird... The humbuster cable shouldn't eat your signal at all. Double-check the Boost/pad at the IO menu.
maybe the cable is faulty... Do you have a spare to try?

I just have one cable, I should get a new one soon. I did check the Boost/Pad in the I/O menu ...

What if I will try to connect the return of the amp to the output1 on the XLR connector and try to switch the ground lift on the axe fx ( on the back lid)?

Those are balanced... but you can try.

Why not to check if the Output 2 does the same hum with a regular cable?
Check the humbuster cable in Output 2 too, but i think that the cable is faulty.

Looks like a grounding problem. If you are familiar with electricity, I would try to plug the Axe without earth, using an adapter that removes it.
THIS CAN LEAD TO SHOCK HAZARD, I TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY FOR THIS. DO IT IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. OR BETTER NOT, IF YOU'RE NOT CONFIDENT WITH THE SUBJECT.

Output2 also with the same results both regular and humbuster cables.

Ip59 I will not take the risk of taking the earth out.. Is there any other solution to solve grounding issues??

Looks like a grounding problem. If you are familiar with electricity, I would try to plug the Axe without earth, using an adapter that removes it.
THIS CAN LEAD TO SHOCK HAZARD, I TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY FOR THIS. DO IT IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. OR BETTER NOT, IF YOU'RE NOT CONFIDENT WITH THE SUBJECT.

I won't do that by any means... That's what the Grounding Lift Switch is for... Better to try with the XLR outputs switchng the ground lift to see if there is any difference.

You can get some isolation plugs, it's a transformer that will isolate the signal from ground. I have some from CAE that I bought years ago, but I'm sure other manufacturer provide some.

No, do not ever do this. Grounding pins are there to protect you from wiring faults that can kill you.

Back
Top Bottom