Hum-Free Single Coil Options 2017

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
What's the latest favorite? I know there are other forums to search, but this one has lots of experienced gearheads.

Been reading about Fishman Fluence (Greg Koch Gristle Tone, et al). What about Zexcoil? Seems their new version is coming soon: https://lawingmusicalproducts.com/dr-lawings-blog/?p

I have Kinmans in two Strats I've been quite happy with for a long time, but I still feel like they are missing just the last little tiny bit of tonal mojo. Partly because of the Suhr S I used to have, it came with the routed-in Suhr SSC system and was pretty much dead quiet and sounded great! But I sold that guitar for other reasons.

Thing is, having used a few different Noiseless setups, I find I simply can't stand regular noisy single coil hum any more. I've lost any tolerance I used to have for that. I recently picked up a Tele with Lollars and it sounds great, but only if I hold the guitar at 90 degrees sweet spot away from my amp, otherwise it's BZZZZZZZZZZ. I tried copper shielding the pickup cavity but it barely made any difference.

I'll always go for Dimarzios, especially the Areas for traditional Strat tones. I absolutely love the Area 67s for that Hendrix Strat tones and I've had good luck with the Virtual Vintage 54 Pro, Area 61, Injector Bridge and Injector Neck. For a Tele I've loved my Barden Gatton pickups.

Clips are great and reviews seem to be all 5-star. I don't love the idea of having to remember to recharge the battery with a usb cable.
The ONLY drawback...the battery does keep a charge for a long time, as long you don't leave the jack in....i came home to mine last night it was dead as a door nail. Small price to pay for silent rockin tone that will impress. my luthier said he had never heard such a marked improvement for a pup replacement.

Nothing noiseless I've heard or tried beats non-noiseless.
Nothing noiseless I've heard or tried beats Kinmans.

I totally concur on the Lollar experience. Best tone, most hum.

The ultimate thing might just be a Suhr SSC guitar with Lollars. The built-in SSC system (Silent Single Coil) was amazing. Pickup sound was 'exactly' the same minus the noise in my experience. I knew because my guitar had a push-pull pot so you could engage or dis-engage SSC. There was no reason to ever disengage except to show off how perfect the SSC thing worked.

I see they have SSC II now, and it doesn't seem to be available in a retrofit Strat backplate version anymore. From what I'd read earlier, the backplate SSC was not as effective as the internal routed coil.

Last edited:
The ONLY drawback...the battery does keep a charge for a long time, as long you don't leave the jack in....i came home to mine last night it was dead as a door nail. Small price to pay for silent rockin tone that will impress. my luthier said he had never heard such a marked improvement for a pup replacement.

With the Fluence, do you make use of the two separate voices you can switch between? Or do you tend to pick your favorite of the two and stick with that?

I like the zexcoils. If anything they are a bit brighter than regular single coils. I've got some Kinman noiseless P90's that are outstanding, but never tried their regular single coils before. Those have been the two best I've come up with after years of trial and disappointment.

The ultimate thing might just be a Suhr SSC guitar with Lollars. The built-in SSC system (Silent Single Coil) was amazing. Pickup sound was 'exactly' the same minus the noise in my experience. I knew because my guitar had a push-pull pot so you could engage or dis-engage SSC. There was no reason to ever disengage except to show off how perfect the SSC thing worked.

I see they have SSC II now, and it doesn't seem to be available in a Strat backplate version anymore. From what I'd read earlier, the backplate SSC was not as effective as the internal routed coil.
My newest axe is a Suhr Classic Pro with SSC, and it is great, but I still stand behind the Fluence... @Admin M@ , have you had the chance to play a Tele with the Fluence Gristletone...?

I just bought a set of Duncan Classic Stack Plus' to put in this weird offset/Strat hybrid I'm building. Waiting on my neck to be built, but I'll report back in when it's assembled in a month or so.

I wanted to go Kinman or Zexcoil but kept choking on the prices. :( The Duncans were under $200 for the set.

Maybe I'll be selling the Duncans in a few months? :D

Partly because of the Suhr S I used to have, it came with the routed-in Suhr SSC system and was pretty much dead quiet and sounded great!

Suhr used to sell the SSC separately ? Do they still ? It might be worth checking ....

I just bought a set of Duncan Classic Stack Plus' to put in this weird offset/Strat hybrid I'm building. Waiting on my neck to be built, but I'll report back in when it's assembled in a month or so.

I wanted to go Kinman or Zexcoil but kept choking on the prices. :( The Duncans were under $200 for the set.

Maybe I'll be selling the Duncans in a few months? :D

I hear ya with the cost. You can easily have - half the price of the guitar , just in pickups. Pick wrong , buy a 2nd set and you're really doing well.
I have a Kinman Blues set on order , with the K9 harness , thanks to advice from Admin M@ , ( who NOW says he likes regular pickups better. Lol )

I like the zexcoils. If anything they are a bit brighter than regular single coils. I've got some Kinman noiseless P90's that are outstanding, but never tried their regular single coils before. Those have been the two best I've come up with after years of trial and disappointment.
Zexcoil's new Z-Series pickups don't have that bit of extra brightness! Have them in all y guitars! Love them!

Suhr used to sell the SSC separately ? Do they still ? It might be worth checking ....

I have the SSC backplate in my Suhr and it's only good for removing 60Hz hum; does nothing for RF interference/EMI buzz on single coils which is why I'm going to replace my two single coils with Kinmans soooooon. I've also had it with RF/EMI noise....o_O

I have no regrets on my Kinman Blues, really just wondering if any of the newer entries were even better.

I'm not sure when I got my 1st set of Kinmans, but it was many years ago, it was before they made wiring harnesses or P90s, just Strat and Tele sets. Nice to know they are still well regarded.

Despite the fact that there's a certain authentic charm to traditional pickups, I would not play without noiseless single coil pickups.

Cool. I'm just busting on you. I have a show coming up for at Patrick's day , and I was hoping to get the kinmans in time. Guess not. This will mark the first time i won't use a LP.
I'm hoping my strat with regular pickups is tolerable. I've only played it in my studio.

Back
Top Bottom