Hugest metal tone I can muster!

Cheers mate!
It's all the "PVH 5105", boosted with "T808 MOD", through a Red Wire recto cab.
The "bass" is my guitar pitchshifted down an octave, so you'll have to excuse that!

Damn that's heavy - love it man \m/

I too would love to see the patch for this... What type of guitar are you playing?

Freakin awesome sounding Nolly!!! I knew as soon as i saw your name pop up...you would bring the goodins!!!!

I may have to check out those Red Wires IRs.

Cheers guys, glad you're liking it :)

The setup was very similar to what I used on the Killswitch cover clip I posted yesterday:

The guitar is a Blackmachine B6 tuned to drop C with a Bare Knuckle ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge pickup position. It's quad-tracked (pretty sloppily!)

The T808 MOD has the drive at 0, the tone around halfway, and the level at full. I didn't change any of the more advanced settings.
The PVH 5105 has the drive right back at about 9:00, the bass is at 1:30, the mids are at 12:00, and the treble is at 1:00, with the bright switch engaged. Presence, depth, damp and sag are all around 1:00, while the master is at about 2:00. I bumped both the warmth and thump parameters up to around 5.
Next I have a graphic EQ lightly cutting at 250hz, 500hz and 4khz, while also giving a bit of a boost at 125hz and 8khz.
Then we have the RedWire Mesa Recto cab impulse, mic'd 5 inches back from the cap edge with an SM57.
After that I have a parametric EQ adding a high and low pass, doing some further cutting around 340hz and 800hz, and also boosting around 130hz.

I have to say, these RedWire impulses have completely revitalised my enjoyment of this machine. With the stock cabs I couldn't seem to get fat midrange without things getting really muddy, while eq'ing to combat this seemed to leave the tone very thin and dead. The RedWire cabs have the awesome real-ness that the stock IRs are missing, it really sounds 3D, like there's a 4x12 cranked up in an isolation booth somewhere that I'm hearing.

Yeah, I'd highly recommend them. It'll take a little while to sift through the options, but it's worth it IMO :)

Nolly said:
Yeah, I'd highly recommend them. It'll take a little while to sift through the options, but it's worth it IMO :)

As soon as I buy them Cliff will probably make some massive improvment on the built in cab models though :)

But I feel the same as you, there is just something lacking in the mid range

I need to check out your clip when at home, because I did not have any luck with my Redwirez IRs (Recto 4x12, some Marshall 4x12s) on metal tones. They sounded very natural in comparision to the stock IRs but very wimpy as well. But those RW-IRs have a gazillion of IRs so it's easy to get lost and miss the good ones...

Are you going to put these IRs into the axe and run them to the FOH and monitor with a power amp and cab, or go FRFR and use the IR for both that and the FOH?

I am set on buying one, but I am curious as to how most metal guys are using them live.

Edit: confusing word choice eliminated :oops: was "how many" instead of "how most"

DrMosh said:
As soon as I buy them Cliff will probably make some massive improvment on the built in cab models though :)

But I feel the same as you, there is just something lacking in the mid range

Hah, yeah. Unfortunately I doubt Cliff can really offer the same massive number of mic positions etc that the Redwire package gives you, so there would still be room for both I believe.
RiF said:
I need to check out your clip when at home, because I did not have any luck with my Redwirez IRs (Recto 4x12, some Marshall 4x12s) on metal tones. They sounded very natural in comparision to the stock IRs but very wimpy as well. But those RW-IRs have a gazillion of IRs so it's easy to get lost and miss the good ones...

Interesting stuff, let me know what you think of the clip when you hear it - your clips always sound great so it'd be good to hear your opinion :)

S-O said:
Are you going to put these IRs into the axe and run them to the FOH and monitor with a power amp and cab, or go FRFR and use the IR for both that and the FOH?

I am set on buying one, but I am curious as to how most metal guys are using them live.

Edit: confusing word choice eliminated :oops: was "how many" instead of "how most"

I'm going to start with the former, because that definitely feels safer and I know it sounds great from experience with other people's axe-fx rigs. If I change that it'd probably be to go entirely direct with in-ear monitors.

awesome stuff nolly!!

I imagine that gat/ir setup would sound really killer with the dasmetal also.

I've gotta go back and fiddle with the redwire mesa cab more :cool:

Thanks Nolly! You convinced me...and I just purchased Red Wire Big Box! :D

I dig them so far!!!

JAB said:
awesome stuff nolly!!

I imagine that gat/ir setup would sound really killer with the dasmetal also.

I've gotta go back and fiddle with the redwire mesa cab more :cool:

Cheers bro :)
Yeah, the Das Metall definitely sounds good with that cab, just need to tweak the EQs a bit since it's got so much low end! The 5105 does have a bit more of that midrange grind and sizzle though.

D20 said:
Thanks Nolly! You convinced me...and I just purchased Red Wire Big Box! :D

I dig them so far!!!

Oh awesome! Well, I hope you dig them man, I can't imagine you won't!

This sound HUGER! :lol: :lol:

I would like to ear a comparison between patch with stock cabs & eq, and RW cabs. :mrgreen:

Nolly, thanx for the compliment about my clips. You tone is pretty sick! Definitely among the best ones around here, IMHO. Very natural and organic but yet teh br00talz, exactly my cup of tea. Great moshy riffing, too. Actually you made me rethink my opinion about those Redwirez IRs and I checked them again yesterday and I have to admit that they sound very good, especially in a mix.

Smilzo said:
This sound HUGER! :lol: :lol:

I would like to ear a comparison between patch with stock cabs & eq, and RW cabs. :mrgreen:

Cheers Smilzo, maybe I'll do a comparison clip sometime soon.

RiF said:
Nolly, thanx for the compliment about my clips. You tone is pretty sick! Definitely among the best ones around here, IMHO. Very natural and organic but yet teh br00talz, exactly my cup of tea. Great moshy riffing, too. Actually you made me rethink my opinion about those Redwirez IRs and I checked them again yesterday and I have to admit that they sound very good, especially in a mix.

Wicked, I have to say I was surprised when you said you didn't enjoy using the RW cabs! Glad you enjoyed the tone :)

Awesome tonez Nolly.

I am a noob and about to order an Ultra so may be a dumb question coming up to anyone willing to answer.

These IR's from redwirez............ can they only be used for recording with the axe or can they be used playing live thru the Axe and some Atomics?

Back
Top Bottom