Huge Cable Upgrade

I don't like the sound of an ultra low capacitance cable, the capacitance in my opinion is removing audio data we don't want to hear anyway.... Granted I guess you could use a PEQ as the first block to simulate higher capacitance on a low capacitance cable by rolling off the high end, but that just seems like more work.

I agree.

I have some super low capacitance cables and I wouldn't confuse it with being a more pleasing sound. I don't like the sound of an ultra low capacitance cable, the capacitance in my opinion is removing audio data we don't want to hear anyway. It's sort of like the way guitar speakers are inefficient, but we like what they do. Granted I guess you could use a PEQ as the first block to simulate higher capacitance on a low capacitance cable by rolling off the high end, but that just seems like more work. I like klotz la grange cables for the input, whatever their mojo is sounds the best to me so it saves a step of configuring later.

I have to agree with you too. I mean I don't want a lot of high end roll off, but there's something to be said for a decent cable that isn't too much of one thing or another.

But with that said it's a lot easier to EQ something out along the signal path than to EQ something in that isn't there to begin with.

I have some super low capacitance cables and I wouldn't confuse it with being a more pleasing sound. I don't like the sound of an ultra low capacitance cable, the capacitance in my opinion is removing audio data we don't want to hear anyway.
My experience has been the opposite. I picked up a Zaolla Silverline Artist a couple of years ago and I enjoyed the additional high end and just as importantly, the elimination of some objectionable artifacts. Put another way, my tone was both "smoother" and more present.

I need to pick up another Zaolla and they are pricey. What I may try instead is a Creation Audio Labs Redeemer. It's a linear / transparent on-board preamp installed in the guitar that buffers the guitar electronics from the guitar cable ($49). This should allow me to go back to my less expensive Mogami guitar cables. A bonus is that the Redeemer should also minimize treble loss when the volume control is turned down. I'm switching from "50's wiring" to "modern" wiring in my guitars, and I'd rather not have to deal with treble bleed circuits.

Terry.

Yes it is possible. The stuff that Bill Lawrence is selling is in fact the same capacitance/ft. I do think that the mogami and canare specs are not for their best stuff (could be wrong). I was under the impression that it's a bit lower than that chart shows. Could be a lower quality cable they are comparing.
The Mogami Platinum cable is 14awg and has 3302 printed on the outer casing (I have one sitting next to me). I am not sure what the actual capacitance/ft is though. Mogami lists it as "extremely low" but does not give the actual number. Regardless, I am extremely pleased with this cable - I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

Back
Top Bottom