How would you persuade me to go for an FM3?

I have just spotted a s/h FM3 for sale about 80/90 miles from home at what I think is a great price. I am going to contact the seller and ask if we can arrange a deal. It will be about a 3-hour round trip, but potentially well worth the time taken. I will be polite, offer the asking price, and see if I can offer to pay a deposit with either PayPal or a bank transfer for him to hold it for me until next weekend when I will be able to travel.

The good things I have heard about the FM3 outweigh the negative things that I have heard so fingers crossed, I don't buy a "duff" unit. One built on a Friday afternoon just before the factory is closing for the weekend and staff just wanted to go home or to the bar.

If this deal does not work out I will just keep on looking for a unit within travelling distance.

I would bet that ~75% of folks with issues report them on the Discussion page, and well less than 1% who are satisfied report back, so there's that. Yet there are still ~10 or more "satisfied" reports for every one "problem" report on this page. Additionally, there are very obviously people who apparently don't consult the manuals or the Wiki, with known issues whose solutions are clearly available from many sources, so there's also some user error/ignorance/laziness occasionally involved with something as deep and technically complex as an FAS unit.

Almost any customer feedback on any product is gonna be skewed toward the unhappy customers (look at TripAdvisor; even 5 star hotels always have 5-10% dissatisfied feedback).

Not being a fanboy, just a student of human nature. Dissatisfied folks complain, often repeatedly, and satisfied folks by and large don't often even mention it. And complex products often have both higher failure/issue rates, and "user error" rates. Not sure I'd let that deter me.

also some user error/ignorance/laziness occasionally involved with something as deep and technically complex as an FAS unit.

I fell victim to that earlier, actually.

Turning on modulation effects via scenes caused a "pop", which wasn't there before.

The problem was actually with drive blocks that were tied to an external dual footswitch. It looks like what happened was that activating a scene activated the drive blocks, and then the fractal realized that the external switch was "off", so it "immediately" turned them back off...and caused a pop, because nothing actually happens immediately (which is also technically true in analog).

The solution was to hit "Scene Ignore" on the drive blocks. No more popping.

That was an odd one.

I'm pretty sure I agree with you, but I'm wondering if you can articulate why...just because I'm curious.

I was so used to haven't any tone at my fingertips, it was fiscally impossible to achieve that going analog. I was always chasing my tone, whereas with the Fractal products, I knew how to get that tone from my head to my output.

Back
Top Bottom