How would I run a ROLAND GR 55 threw the input section in th AXE FX ll

tommyh

Inspired
I would like to stream line my setup and eliminate a mixing unit i use with the AXE FX ll and the gr 55.I should be able to have the stereo outputs of the ROLAND GR 55 run into the AXE FXll inputs in the back of the unit?.I'm not so sure and would appreciate feed back thanks.

Put the GR-55 into Input2 at the rear. In the Axe FX put an FXL block towards right hand end of your matrix, with no lines coming in because you don't want to send the guitar signal to the loop. Link the FXL block to the right hand end of the matrix. In the past, but not in my current rig, I've done this, and linked the FXL volume to a swell pedal so that I could fade in string and organ pads

The thing that would give me pause in advising you is you're using stereo outs of the GR 55. I'm using mine mono. The simple answer is yes you can do that without an external mixer but what is the rest of your set up? Are you using a GK equipped guitar or piezo midi? Are you using separate guitar out straight into Axe front input as opposed to passing through the 13 pin cable from the guitar? If using piezo's will you have a separate out from the guitar into the Axe? Are you running separate personal monitor and FOH for live gigging? Home/recording use only? Is the GR55 on the floor or are you using a midi controller?

I'm using a piezo equipped midi guitar. No external mixer. Stereo Y cable for mag pups into front input and piezo's into rear input 1 right and 13 pin cable only for synth and modeling (and piezo battery power) into input 2 left. I suppose you can go input 2 left and right for stereo at that point. GR55 in my rack with a foot controller on the floor. Mono all the way because I only play live and require no stereo. Using FX loop to allow for personal monitor and FOH. I can get into more detail about the grid use but answering the above questions will allow me to be more specific. Hope this helps to shape your questions more specifically.

I can send you a preset, with scenes, as an illustration.

The thing that would give me pause in advising you is you're using stereo outs of the GR 55. I'm using mine mono. The simple answer is yes you can do that without an external mixer but what is the rest of your set up? Are you using a GK equipped guitar or piezo midi? Are you using separate guitar out straight into Axe front input as opposed to passing through the 13 pin cable from the guitar? If using piezo's will you have a separate out from the guitar into the Axe? Are you running separate personal monitor and FOH for live gigging? Home/recording use only? Is the GR55 on the floor or are you using a midi controller?

I'm using a piezo equipped midi guitar. No external mixer. Stereo Y cable for mag pups into front input and piezo's into rear input 1 right and 13 pin cable only for synth and modeling (and piezo battery power) into input 2 left. I suppose you can go input 2 left and right for stereo at that point. GR55 in my rack with a foot controller on the floor. Mono all the way because I only play live and require no stereo. Using FX loop to allow for personal monitor and FOH. I can get into more detail about the grid use but answering the above questions will allow me to be more specific. Hope this helps to shape your questions more specifically.

I can send you a preset, with scenes, as an illustration.
I use a Brian Moore custom the Y cable ,piezo in the back imput elec . In the front and then I also have the 13pin going to the gr55 : I am eliminating the Y jack and just gonna use 13pin ( don't need the piezo anymore ) guitar out on the gr55 into the front of the fractal. So now I need to get the Gr55 synth sounds imputed into the Fractal ; I have a separate rack mixer I've been sending the synth and fractal to. But why should I? I can run everything into the fractal and that's the end of it . FYI . I just. Go threw the house pa at gigs and that's it , I like it as simple as possible , I'm at work now , I read another post of yours about midi ; but I don't have time right now, will get back to this later ; and thanks!!!

If you change a scene in a preset on the fractal, how do you have it also change to another preset on the Gr 55?

Hi TommyH.

I use the same setup. Brian Moore/GR55 and use the 13 pin for the mag sounds.I do use the cable for the piezo. You can run them all into the Fractal just as Roland describes and have your backline have all the sounds and send a copy to Front of House. The only downside is that your front of house guy cant mix the synth and guitar sounds separately but I've found this way to be best as well.

As for preset changes, get SETLISTMAKER for the ipad. I use this to control Fractal, GR55, Voice Live 3, and all the keyboards and sampler patches. It is fantastic.

MM

If you change a scene in a preset on the fractal, how do you have it also change to another preset on the Gr 55?

Do you have a midi foot controller such as the Fractal MFC or Liquid Foot controller? Not sure about the MFC but on the LF I can assign PC# changes for each scene. For instance, I have an empty patch on the GR55. Say you have a need for the GR for one scene in a five scene preset. I assign the "nothing" GR patch to all scenes except the one that uses the GR patch.

Do you have a midi foot controller such as the Fractal MFC or Liquid Foot controller? Not sure about the MFC but on the LF I can assign PC# changes for each scene. For instance, I have an empty patch on the GR55. Say you have a need for the GR for one scene in a five scene preset. I assign the "nothing" GR patch to all scenes except the one that uses the GR patch.
i have the MFC ....... By the way, everything now works just the way i had it figured in my head ,everything is in stereo and it sounds FANTASTIC ! thank you all for your help ..

Yes I get this; But suppose you wanted 2 different synth presets in 2 different scenes ?

I am picking up a GR 55 this week to ad to XL+ for live use. Please forgive me I am a little dense when it comes to set up. I have been going FOH successfully with Fractal for several years with my r&B BAND. I want to use the GR 55 to add realistic brass, sax, flute etc and alternative guitars into mix that is pretty much it. All my patches are pretty much set for the stuff we do. So what is the best way to do this?
I can go a couple of ways --

1) have scenes 6-8 dedicated to GR- 55 patches controlled by MFC (ideal)
2) Have a scene setup on Axe for Roland the and switch the GR 55 patches from the pickup.

Questions

1. How do I set up overall patch. (do you have a template?)
2. What adjustment do I make to MFC?

Any step by step instructions out there?
Videos?

Thanks In Advance

Are you saying just add the fxl block with no connections to the chain in the grid?

I got the GR-55 to work in loop with gr connected to input 2. However -- it only works if it is connected to grid.

I just want to route the GR-55 through the fractal but not directly inside the signal chain.

Put the GR-55 into Input2 at the rear. In the Axe FX put an FXL block towards right hand end of your matrix, with no lines coming in because you don't want to send the guitar signal to the loop. Link the FXL block to the right hand end of the matrix. In the past, but not in my current rig, I've done this, and linked the FXL volume to a swell pedal so that I could fade in string and organ pads

Back
Top Bottom